Squad and Tactics Thread 2022/23

AlanBalls

Team supported
MCFC
Thread for less speculation re: incomings / outgoings, and rather to focus on:
  • What we already have
  • What we realistically expect to have
  • How we might utilise the squad from a depth and tactical perspective
Assumptions for the thread (for now), outside of the club-confirmed transfers.
Out: Jesus, Sterling
In: Phillips, Cucurella (or other LB)
Staying: Zinchenko, Ake.

Squad depth:
GK: Ederson, Ortega, Carson
LB: Zinchenko, Cucurella
CB: Dias, Laporte, Stones, Ake
RB: Cancelo, Walker
DM: Rodri, Phillips
CM: KDB, Silva, Gundogan
W: Foden, Palmer, Mahrez, Grealish (McAtee?)
ST: Haaland, Alvarez

This is only 'natural' positions. I'd expect some flex to cover where we might end up short, such as Foden / Grealish dropping into CM or Cancelo covering at RB / DM.

On how we might line up, for all the talk of a potential 4-2-3-1, I think it's unlikely. Pep's a student of the 4-3-3 and has been for the best part of 15 years. That said, the 4-2-3-1 might make an appearance against certain teams, similar to how we saw Bernardo dropping deeper to support Rodri and KDB assuming more of a central #10 role. I don't think it'll form our 'go-to' shape though. Rodri and KP aren't enough to fulfil 60 games with two DMs.

Going forward (and wide...), looking at how we originally utilised M*ndy, bringing in a natural LB like Cucurella could mean a reversion to inverted wingers and overlapping wing backs. I know M*ndy and Sane played together or not, but unless my memory fails me their linkup was, well, shite.

On paper, we might be short on the left wing. There's already been talk about Foden playing on the right as an inverted winger, too, so we're looking at Grealish being our only 'natural' LW in the squad. Alvarez is right footed and seems capable out wide, but too early to even nearly expect he'll be capable of playing to the standard we need.

If we're using a 4-3-3 with a left footer on the left hand side, I'd expect Cancelo to step back in. Left sided partnerships, IMO, will be:
Cucurella / Zinchenko + Grealish
or
Cancelo + Foden.

Hot take for this season's Pep Surprise is that we'll see Cancelo shifted up as our other inverted left winger, rounding it off as Grealish/Cancelo for LW and Foden / Mahrez / Palmer at RW.

In all, despite the flapping, I think we're pretty set with the right personnel for a cohesive 4-3-3 with overlapping full backs and inverted wingers to supply Haaland.

Only position we seem to be short for is CM. Unless Pep is ready to trust Foden / Grealish there, we're looking at 3 players to cover 2 positions.

Nobody to get offended by the player choices below...just a play around with different versions of XIs :)

1656712130490.png1656712175556.png1656712233857.png

Thread for less speculation re: incomings / outgoings, and rather to focus on:
  • What we already have
  • What we realistically expect to have
  • How we might utilise the squad from a depth and tactical perspective
Assumptions for the thread (for now), outside of the club-confirmed transfers.
Out: Jesus, Sterling
In: Phillips, Cucurella (or other LB)
Staying: Zinchenko, Ake.

Squad depth:
GK: Ederson, Ortega, Carson
LB: Zinchenko, Cucurella
CB: Dias, Laporte, Stones, Ake
RB: Cancelo, Walker
DM: Rodri, Phillips
CM: KDB, Silva, Gundogan
W: Foden, Palmer, Mahrez, Grealish (McAtee?)
ST: Haaland, Alvarez

This is only 'natural' positions. I'd expect some flex to cover where we might end up short, such as Foden / Grealish dropping into CM or Cancelo covering at RB / DM.

On how we might line up, for all the talk of a potential 4-2-3-1, I think it's unlikely. Pep's a student of the 4-3-3 and has been for the best part of 15 years. That said, the 4-2-3-1 might make an appearance against certain teams, similar to how we saw Bernardo dropping deeper to support Rodri and KDB assuming more of a central #10 role. I don't think it'll form our 'go-to' shape though. Rodri and KP aren't enough to fulfil 60 games with two DMs.

Going forward (and wide...), looking at how we originally utilised M*ndy, bringing in a natural LB like Cucurella could mean a reversion to inverted wingers and overlapping wing backs. I know M*ndy and Sane played together or not, but unless my memory fails me their linkup was, well, shite.

On paper, we might be short on the left wing. There's already been talk about Foden playing on the right as an inverted winger, too, so we're looking at Grealish being our only 'natural' LW in the squad. Alvarez is right footed and seems capable out wide, but too early to even nearly expect he'll be capable of playing to the standard we need.

If we're using a 4-3-3 with a left footer on the left hand side, I'd expect Cancelo to step back in. Left sided partnerships, IMO, will be:
Cucurella / Zinchenko + Grealish
or
Cancelo + Foden.

Hot take for this season's Pep Surprise is that we'll see Cancelo shifted up as our other inverted left winger, rounding it off as Grealish/Cancelo for LW and Foden / Mahrez / Palmer at RW.

In all, despite the flapping, I think we're pretty set with the right personnel for a cohesive 4-3-3 with overlapping full backs and inverted wingers to supply Haaland.

Only position we seem to be short for is CM. Unless Pep is ready to trust Foden / Grealish there, we're looking at 3 players to cover 2 positions.

Nobody to get offended by the player choices below...just a play around with different versions of XIs :)

View attachment 48505View attachment 48506View attachment 48507
4-1-4-1 is a variation worth considering. Pep has used it before.

————haaland————
—-felix————foden—
——Bernardo-kdb———
—————-Rodri————
Cucu—-lapo—Dias-cancelo

————-Alvarez————-
—grealish———mahrez/palmer
——gundogan—-mcatee——
——————Phillips—————
Zin——-ake—-stones—-walker

I fear for you OP, when @Eccles Blue sees those possible line ups!
I am biding my time @jimharri, biding my time! That Cucurella one and Dias might find they trip over my foot at some stage! Not enough to give them a bad injury, just a twisted ankle or something!

As for @AlanBalls he had better keep out of my eyeline for a little while. I’m getting my ideas together which could be painful around a part of his name! ;-) :-)

Will be another tweaking of total football, a more striker orientated version with teams still being taken apart with some scintillating mesmeric football.

Going to be interesting watching us with a 9 after a couple of years with falsies

I can see is setting up 3-1-5-1at times. Bombing forward with lots of little triangles

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.