Stadium Name

DrDom

Hello all, we are a research team at Manchester University looking at fans’ views on the naming of football grounds.

We’re really interested in getting any City fans’ views on the naming and renaming of the club’s ground over the years.

Would love to know how anyone feels about all those name changes (Maine Road, City of Manchester Stadium, Etihad Stadium), and what those names mean (or don’t mean) to you.

We have the moderator’s permission to start this thread, so look forward to reading some posts on this…

Hello all, we are a research team at Manchester University looking at fans’ views on the naming of football grounds.

We’re really interested in getting any City fans’ views on the naming and renaming of the club’s ground over the years.

Would love to know how anyone feels about all those name changes (Maine Road, City of Manchester Stadium, Etihad Stadium), and what those names mean (or don’t mean) to you.

We have the moderator’s permission to start this thread, so look forward to reading some posts on this…

I think it doesn't matter what sponsor led naming happens...Most fans have a name for the stadium and stick to it no matter what

For me it's Eastlands...The City Of Manchester Stadium was always a mouthful...Eastlands just fits

Me and my matchgoing mates have never referred to it as the Etihad...Only time I use that is on here so people know what you're referring to

I'm sure others will have their own take on it

I'm a 52 year old bloke and a season card holder
I have no issues with the naming of the stadium after a sponsor as there is very little "history" here
I very rarely refer to the stadium by it's sponsor name and generally just call it "City"
City of Manchester stadium (COMS) was a rubbish name and was also confused with "Eastlands"

Maine Road's name being changed would have been totally different

I have no issues with the naming of the stadium after a sponsor as there is very little "history" here
I very rarely refer to the stadium by it's sponsor name and generally just call it "City"
City of Manchester stadium (COMS) was a rubbish name and was also confused with "Eastlands"

Bang on. Might as well close the thread.

Should have been called Mercer Park...after the great Joe Mercer....right from day one, C.O.M.S. was ok though

I dont care what the new ground is called, its already had a number of names ie Eastlands, City of Manchester stadium and the Commonwealth stadium, so calling it the Etihad or whatever isnt an issue. I dont think I would have felt the same about Maine Road, that name was and always will be synonymous with the ground for me, I'm glad it wasnt changed in our time there.

Personally, I liked the City of Manchester Stadium but it never really caught on. Nowadays, I always call it the Etihad because finance has become crucial to our development on the pitch. If a sponsor is willing to financially support the club, I'm happy to publicise their name.

^This^

And I'm half this guys age.

We go to "City" only time I'll say "etihad" is when speaking with tourists who are struggling to find which Tram to get on

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.