Stan Bowles RIP

I saw Stan play for Manchester Schoolboys at Maine Road before he joined City.

I never saw much of him at City to suggest he would turn out to be a superstar. He came back after spells with Crewe and Carlisle before a great spell at QPR.

He had a history of falling out with managers including Allison at City, Docherty at QPR, and Clough at Forest. That certainly prevented him from having the career that his talent deserved.

I saw Stan score twice on his league debut against Sheff Utd in 1967, I've always had a "what might have been" feeling about him if he'd been able to overcome his gambling problems and stayed at City under Joe and Mal.

RIP

Born in Collyhurst (which I didn't know), and Played 17 times for us in the late 60s....

View attachment 108114

Obviously, he'll be better remembered for his time at QPR. A very good player in the era of Tony Currie, Frank Worthington, Duncan Mackenzie etc etc. Sleep well Stan.
The club said he played 21 times for us and was born in Moston? https://www.mancity.com/news/mens/former-man-city-player-stan-bowles-passes-away-63844412

Not sure this was necessary in that tribute.
IMG_0992.jpeg

I've just checked and Stan played in the first match I ever went to in 1978. Colin Bell scored the winner.
I remember watching him on TV play for QPR and like so many players in that era they played how WE wanted to play.
He was a fantastic player and was there to entertain the public. Seemed a great character.
My he Rest In Peace.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.