Strange decisions by a City manager...

So many bad memories dug up. It's strange because I remember nothing about Elano being put at right back, I remember it happening but I don't remember it.

I can never forget nor forgive Clive Allen not getting game time. It's been 20 years and I still wonder what if. How the fuck did Adrian Heath get started infront of him? An absolute criminal decision

For sheer bafflement it has to be Alan Ball's decision to allow some bloke with a tranny radio in the Main Stand to dictate his tactics in the course of a game we needed to win to avoid relegation.

It demonstrated (not that it was needed) why he was such a poor manager and when I say manager I mean generally, not just in footballing terms. Even then, in 1996, the stakes were high. The Sky money had just started rolling in and getting relegated had suddenly taken on even more significance than hitherto. Given the importance of results elsewhere (Coventry and Southampton iirc) how hard would it have been to enlist the help of two trusted people with mobiles (which were widely in use by 1996) at the other key games, if he was going to allow on the scores in those matches to dictate his ongoing approach to the Liverpool game.

That result had such a fundamental impact on this football club. It was, in fact, a pretty decent squad that had been playing below itself, but a subsequent fire sale ensued and a little over two years later we found ourselves in the third tier of English football for the first time. Without Horlock's last minute and Dickov's injury time goals who knows where we would be right now and it all may have stemmed from what was an utterly baffling and preposterous thing to do, which would have been completely unnecessary with a little forward planning that you would expect from a middle-manager on £30k pa.

Strange doesn't even begin to do it justice.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
For sheer bafflement it has to be Alan Ball's decision to allow some bloke with a tranny radio in the Main Stand to dictate his tactics in the course of a game we needed to win to avoid relegation.

It demonstrated (not that it was needed) why he was such a poor manager and when I say manager I mean generally, not just in footballing terms. Even then, in 1996, the stakes were high. The Sky money had just started rolling in and getting relegated had suddenly taken on even more significance than hitherto. Given the importance of results elsewhere (Coventry and Southampton iirc) how hard would it have been to enlist the help of two trusted people with mobiles (which were widely in use by 1996) at the other key games, if he was going to allow on the scores in those matches to dictate his ongoing approach to the Liverpool game.

That result had such a fundamental impact on this football club. It was, in fact, a pretty decent squad that had been playing below itself, but a subsequent fire sale ensued and a little over two years later we found ourselves in the third tier of English football for the first time. Without Horlock's last minute and Dickov's injury time goal who knows where we would be right now and it all may have stemmed from what was an utterly baffling and preposterous thing to do, which would have been completely unnecessary with a little forward planning that you would expect from a middle-manager on £30k pa.

Strange doesn't even begin to do it justice.
Bravo, sir. Bravthefucko.

Roberto not taking Mario off before he got sent off at Arsenal and Liverpool away.Everyone knew it was going to happen bar Roberto.
Tevez getting subbed in the Wigan cup final another strange one.

wireblue said:
Taking off goater and putting on Spencer fucking prior when we were 0-1 up at ipswich with 10 mins to go. Ended up getting beat 2-1 and it sealed our relegation.
Christ this has opened up a wound.

Goater came on as a sub, scored, and injured himself after the goal if i remember rightly.

Here's the match report from that night.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/3004926/Ipswich-send-City-down-after-Goaters-false-hope.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... -hope.html</a>

So not all Royle's fault. His downfall that season was signing kanchelskis, Charvet and Egil Østenstad and falling out with Weah.

wireblue said:
Taking off goater and putting on Spencer fucking prior when we were 0-1 up at ipswich with 10 mins to go. Ended up getting beat 2-1 and it sealed our relegation.
Christ this has opened up a wound.
The night I developed an irrational hatred of all things Ipswich

bennyboy said:
Roberto not taking Mario off before he got sent off at Arsenal and Liverpool away.Everyone knew it was going to happen bar Roberto.
Tevez getting subbed in the Wigan cup final another strange one.

Balotelli only came on as a sub v Liverpool and lasted 17 minutes. Liverpool did all they could to get him sent off, it was disgusting really. I wasn't a fan of Mario, he was his own worst enemy, his reputation got him a yellow card for the slightest little thing. But what the scousers did was a joke. Nothing Mancini could have done on that particular occasion. Balotelli was a dead man walking as soon as he stepped onto the pitch.

I agree about the Arsenal game, though.

I knew the moment Roberto picked Ballotelli in the home derby that he was doomed. He always thought Balotelli was going to save the day for him and as happened in many a game he let him down. Then Balotelli left City and said he thought Mourinho was a better coach!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.