strange things we did when we were kids

andy h said:
Tuearts right boot said:
I once made a Howitzer out of a wheel barrow using 321 zero bangers as the charge and batteries as the projectiles.Totally destroyed our neighbours fence with it.
Made a parachute out of bed sheets and washing line one day and climbed onto the roof.Jumped of,landed and twisted my ankle while the parachute remained on the roof.
Killed my mates dads Koi carp by making a depth charge and dropping it into his pond.
Laid claim to making the world first Scud missile in Sale and launching it across the canal and railway line.Buggered off pretty sharpish when it landed in the garden of a terraced house though.

A mate and I found a tv dumped on some waste ground. After scavenging the tube out of it we hid it away. Couple of days later, we filtched some magnesium ribbon from the science lab. On the way home from school, we retrieved the tv tube, wrapped the magnesium ribbon around it. We made a small fire inside a concrete pipe and laid the tv tube/ribbon combo on top and retreated to await the result. Not long after, the tube exploded and made hell of a bang. Split the concrete pipe open too. Strangely satisfying but scary as fuck.

Hope you got a merit mark for such good science homework?

Another mad thing we did; we used to have a gas cooker with a small gas lighter attached by way of a small white pipe that was used to light the oven and grill. I found if I got a bowl of water with squeezy in it I put the gas lighter tip in the water and the gas made a load of bubbles. I used to throw a lighted match into the bubbles and a big woof of flame would fly out. I told my mates who wanted to come and see so when my mother had gone out I got my mates round to show them, cos I had an audience I thought I would put a real show on and gave the bowl of soapy water an extra amount of gas and a massive pile of bubbles. Threw lighted match into bubbles and of course there was an extra massive whoosh of flame that took out the kitchen and all our eyebrows and most of our hair. You can imagine the leathering I got of my father but a couple of weeks later he was a bit better as we got a new kitchen out of the council.

LongLang said:
Carstairs said:
jacko74 said:
Why did he use boiling water? Why not just make the ice with cold water?

Hot water freezes faster, it's the Mpemba effect.

I thought the mpemba effect was not strictly scientific gospel on account of nobody being able to suitably replicate it. A natural phenomenon if you will.
Hot/warm water only freezes faster in some conditions.

I believe that hot water is used as it freezes clearer than cold water, thus being more difficult to spot for the future recipient of the sore arse.

Might have been that. My mates brother was only eight or nine. I was 12-13 but I didn't know that then and I didn't know until now because I'm a thick cu*t.

Any of you amazed your children/nephews/nieces by lobbing sugar onto electric cooker rings?

Despie being brought up on internet and Brainiac hey genuinely look awestruck.

kinkladz-ade said:
We used to play a game where one person breathes in and out really fast for 30secs then suddenly holds his breath while 4 of us push on his chest. The person holding their breath would faint coz their heart would momentarily stop.
They would be passed out for a few minutes.

Thinking back now we must have been crazy to do that.
It all stopped when some kids in another class were doing it and didnt catch the kid who fell and cracked his head open.

I was the person responsible for it being banned at my school. I didn't cut my head but gave it a right crack on those square grids that we used to play marbles on. The kids shit themselves as I was out for a bit longer than expected. That was about 30 odd years ago, and I can still remember coming round from it to this day. I'd has this weird sort of dream that a lady was stood over me with a tray upon which were plastic cups filled with orange cordial. No such lady was there when I came to my senses. Strange but true.

StrangewaysHereWeCome said:
Any of you amazed your children/nephews/nieces by lobbing sugar onto electric cooker rings?

I'm intrigued now. What happens?

steviemc said:

It just bursts into a small flame and fills the air with a sweet treacley smell.

steviemc said:

It just bursts into a small flame and fills the air with a sweet treacley smell.
Stands to reason really. I was getting a bit too excited for my own good there :)

Did other people call their pocket money 'spends'? About once a year me and my sister would decide to make a stance and ask dad for an increase, We spent hours thinking of loads of reasons to justify an increase, and whoever drew the short straw had to ask.

Inevitably the campaign was over in about 10 seconds. 'Can we have some more spends dad'?
No you can't . What do you think you're on? Your daddy's yacht?' And that was it, conversation over for another year. And no increase from 25p.

Never did understand that phrase at the time. I used to think, what the hell is dad going on about? We've definitely had a dinghy, and I know there's an old canoe in the shed, but we ain't ever had no fucking yacht!

steviemc said:
Did other people call their pocket money 'spends'? About once a year me and my sister would decide to make a stance and ask dad for an increase, We spent hours thinking of loads of reasons to justify an increase, and whoever drew the short straw had to ask.

Inevitably the campaign was over in about 10 seconds. 'Can we have some more spends dad'?
No you can't . What do you think you're on? Your daddy's yacht?' And that was it, conversation over for another year. And no increase from 25p.

Never did understand that phrase at the time. I used to think, what the hell is dad going on about? We've definitely had a dinghy, and I know there's an old canoe in the shed, but we ain't ever had no fucking yacht!

If you don't know now, it was a saying used in the navy (especially during national service days) by NCO's to raw recruits to put them back in line when recruits were being, lets say, a bit precious or appeared to want special privileges.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.