Sturgeon wants another referendum

Growing up I used to think the idea of an independent North would be great to get away from Westminster - so I definitely sympathise on that point with Yes supporters. Now I've grown out of immaturity, I realise you only need basic nouse to understand that Westminster being placed in London does not mean MPs represent southerners. The self-interested politicians I and the majority of Scottish Yes voters loathe are obviously from all over Britain: Tony Blair - Scottish, Gordon Brown - Scottish - it's very naive to think the same ilk wouldn't soon bring the same bland, non-public serving politics in the theoretically independent Scotland.

So I do very much understand the snap temptation of a Scot to vote Yes however the more I've had to think about it and the more Scots Yes comments I've seen online, the more I find myself growing livid by it all and the more I see the extreme Yes proponents as traitorous. One such comment I saw was a Scot berating RT for having George Galloway on supporting May's stance with 'I thought you trumpeted the outsider and supported the oppressed...' Oppressed!? Scotland has more special benefits than anywhere else in the U.K. with devolved powers such as tax powers and uni fees - what has the North got (as much a victim of London-centricity)? Nothing! There have been atrocities and massacres by the people in the seat of British power or their military all over Britain including Manchester (1819), Newport (1839), London (1768), Bolton (1644) etc. etc. Hence it's blindingly obvious the problem is not Scots vs. English or Northern British vs. Southern British, it is the public vs. selfish politicians and elite - the public needs to do away with these sweeping generalisations as it's a very narrow-minded perception.

One of the reasons this debate is being had is because there is a problem with interpretation of the language used in the name United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Notice the wording is 'Great Britain,' no use of "Scotland." The U.K. is not a union of countries such as the EU to opt out of, it is a single kingdom (a single country) - they could have just called it Scotland since the Kingdom of Scotland inherited the Kingdom of England. In 1707 Scottish parliament democratically voted to dissolve the status of Scotland as a sovereign country - 310 years ago! Perhaps the older generations that swung the NO vote last time was because, living through two world wars they understood the values and unity of this island. The tribes of Britain were divided but understood that they were countrymen, even when the Anglo-Saxons invaded, Welsh, Northerners and lowland Scots called themselves Cymry (countrymen). Having studied so much of our history and seeing the natural progression to a united Britain (that any "Englishman," "Scot" or "Welshman" would have sought under their name) it angers me that people would throw away a 1664 years struggle (if you consider it from the Roman invasion) based on some bullshit (false) notion of Scots history/nationalism stoked by the likes of Hollywood films such as Braveheart (inaccurately written by an American with a romanticised view) or the SNP's appropriation of highland culture to the whole of Scotland. It was Scotland that invaded England first, 80 years before England invaded Scotland! Scottish lowland and highland clans also viciously fought each other over British political matters so Scotland neither has the historical unity the SNP would have Scots think.

The lowlands of Scotland have an intrinsic history with Northern England, through both Briton and Angle kingdoms (this does not mean the majority of the population were Angles - the Anglo-Saxon genocide story has also proven to be false). The SNP present Scots Gaelic as the native language of Scotland - this was brought by the Dál Riada occupying the western fringe of the Scottish highlands - the gaels merged with the Picts (there is debate about whether the Scots or Picts won dominance) - so Scotland has neither been united in Gaelic culture. Don't forget Scots language brought by the Angles and which came to be spoken by half of Scotland. There is no difference in genetic addition to Scotland, England or Wales over the history of this island. Based on all this, I see absolutely no historical basis for Scotland to have a claim to independence more so than any other past kingdom's territory in Britain - the arguments for Scottish independence are not remotely equatable to Ireland's.

Regarding the economic and difference in voting pattern arguments - it is this behaviour of selfishness to increase their lot at the expense of others (just because London has isn't an excuse) that forms the same (lack of) principles of a dishonourable traitor, which is why I go as far to consider that view for the extreme Yes supporters. Though Sturgeon is merely doing her job within her party to take the opportunity of Brexit, I don't trust that she doesn't put the temptation of being stamped on the forefront of Scottish history above proper principles. I doubt her or Salmond know Scotland's history at all well (or they hide it well as they would know it doesn't aid their cause) and I do not remotely trust people that don't know the history of this island to make such a significant decision on the future of it. It's not the sort of thing to be reversed within a few 100 years after, particularly with the current global society - this is why the whole idea of Scottish independence has began to anger me so much. Are we going to have Cornwall shouting for independence in 100 years because they reconstructed their celtic language and began thinking they were so different to the rest of us?

The answer is not abandoning your comrade/countryman to just better your lot but finding the best solution for everyone - which I see as complete domestic devolution for N.I., Scotland, the North, Wales, the Midlands and the South to fairly represent their domestic concerns, governed by a government council (equal representation of these areas) for international and other matters of national importance.

Good post, not sure I agree with it in its entirety. But a very good read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Im not angry about Scotland seeking independence, but like many down here I am sick of hearing about how it's all our fault yet you get so much more than the vast majority of us. Yet still you moan and the snp continually blame us for all your ills. Ayrshire blue said a couple of days ago that you lot got shafted like us in the English regions, I asked him how he thought he was getting shafted these days. No answer ! it's clearly all in your heads!! Admitedly I do get annoyed by magic pole and his ilk as he clearly avoids questions he doesn't want to answer. That aside no issue with the Scots at all. Just the SNP and their brown shirt bully boys like magicpole.
When you say 'you lot' I presume you mean Scottish, I'm not or Yes voters, I wasn't though remain persuadable. But in the main like many others or we would be independent already I'm at the moment a no voter that votes SNP because quite honestly they are the best option for policies that suit my family, this one policy party accusation is nonsense because when it was true they were nowhere near power.
It's not such a black and white issue. Last time on balance No was the best option in my opinion probably about 60/40 in my mind. There are conditions which if met with cast iron assurances would make it a very difficult decision for me certainly nearer 50/50 which way I'd go.

When you say 'you lot' I presume you mean Scottish, I'm not or Yes voters, I wasn't though remain persuadable. But in the main like many others or we would be independent already I'm at the moment a no voter that votes SNP because quite honestly they are the best option for policies that suit my family, this one policy party accusation is nonsense because when it was true they were nowhere near power.
It's not such a black and white issue. Last time on balance No was the best option in my opinion probably about 60/40 in my mind. There are conditions which if met with cast iron assurances would make it a very difficult decision for me certainly nearer 50/50 which way I'd go.

Sorry 'you lot' was too general, I mean the SNP and their drum beaters.

I supose I have been involved in two discussions at the same time. Firstly the economic argument which I simply don't think stacks up for Scotland and secondly the blatant unfairness of the current system of devolution and expenditure with those who shout loudest getting the most.

Growing up I used to think the idea of an independent North would be great to get away from Westminster - so I definitely sympathise on that point with Yes supporters. Now I've grown out of immaturity, I realise you only need basic nouse to understand that Westminster being placed in London does not mean MPs represent southerners. The self-interested politicians I and the majority of Scottish Yes voters loathe are obviously from all over Britain: Tony Blair - Scottish, Gordon Brown - Scottish - it's very naive to think the same ilk wouldn't soon bring the same bland, non-public serving politics in the theoretically independent Scotland.

So I do very much understand the snap temptation of a Scot to vote Yes however the more I've had to think about it and the more Scots Yes comments I've seen online, the more I find myself growing livid by it all and the more I see the extreme Yes proponents as traitorous. One such comment I saw was a Scot berating RT for having George Galloway on supporting May's stance with 'I thought you trumpeted the outsider and supported the oppressed...' Oppressed!? Scotland has more special benefits than anywhere else in the U.K. with devolved powers such as tax powers and uni fees - what has the North got (as much a victim of London-centricity)? Nothing! There have been atrocities and massacres by the people in the seat of British power or their military all over Britain including Manchester (1819), Newport (1839), London (1768), Bolton (1644) etc. etc. Hence it's blindingly obvious the problem is not Scots vs. English or Northern British vs. Southern British, it is the public vs. selfish politicians and elite - the public needs to do away with these sweeping generalisations as it's a very narrow-minded perception.

One of the reasons this debate is being had is because there is a problem with interpretation of the language used in the name United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Notice the wording is 'Great Britain,' no use of "Scotland." The U.K. is not a union of countries such as the EU to opt out of, it is a single kingdom (a single country) - they could have just called it Scotland since the Kingdom of Scotland inherited the Kingdom of England. In 1707 Scottish parliament democratically voted to dissolve the status of Scotland as a sovereign country - 310 years ago! Perhaps the older generations that swung the NO vote last time was because, living through two world wars they understood the values and unity of this island. The tribes of Britain were divided but understood that they were countrymen, even when the Anglo-Saxons invaded, Welsh, Northerners and lowland Scots called themselves Cymry (countrymen). Having studied so much of our history and seeing the natural progression to a united Britain (that any "Englishman," "Scot" or "Welshman" would have sought under their name) it angers me that people would throw away a 1664 years struggle (if you consider it from the Roman invasion) based on some bullshit (false) notion of Scots history/nationalism stoked by the likes of Hollywood films such as Braveheart (inaccurately written by an American with a romanticised view) or the SNP's appropriation of highland culture to the whole of Scotland. It was Scotland that invaded England first, 80 years before England invaded Scotland! Scottish lowland and highland clans also viciously fought each other over British political matters so Scotland neither has the historical unity the SNP would have Scots think.

The lowlands of Scotland have an intrinsic history with Northern England, through both Briton and Angle kingdoms (this does not mean the majority of the population were Angles - the Anglo-Saxon genocide story has also proven to be false). The SNP present Scots Gaelic as the native language of Scotland - this was brought by the Dál Riada occupying the western fringe of the Scottish highlands - the gaels merged with the Picts (there is debate about whether the Scots or Picts won dominance) - so Scotland has neither been united in Gaelic culture. Don't forget Scots language brought by the Angles and which came to be spoken by half of Scotland. There is no difference in genetic addition to Scotland, England or Wales over the history of this island. Based on all this, I see absolutely no historical basis for Scotland to have a claim to independence more so than any other past kingdom's territory in Britain - the arguments for Scottish independence are not remotely equatable to Ireland's.

Regarding the economic and difference in voting pattern arguments - it is this behaviour of selfishness to increase their lot at the expense of others (just because London has isn't an excuse) that forms the same (lack of) principles of a dishonourable traitor, which is why I go as far to consider that view for the extreme Yes supporters. Though Sturgeon is merely doing her job within her party to take the opportunity of Brexit, I don't trust that she doesn't put the temptation of being stamped on the forefront of Scottish history above proper principles. I doubt her or Salmond know Scotland's history at all well (or they hide it well as they would know it doesn't aid their cause) and I do not remotely trust people that don't know the history of this island to make such a significant decision on the future of it. It's not the sort of thing to be reversed within a few 100 years after, particularly with the current global society - this is why the whole idea of Scottish independence has began to anger me so much. Are we going to have Cornwall shouting for independence in 100 years because they reconstructed their celtic language and began thinking they were so different to the rest of us?

The answer is not abandoning your comrade/countryman to just better your lot but finding the best solution for everyone - which I see as complete domestic devolution for N.I., Scotland, the North, Wales, the Midlands and the South to fairly represent their domestic concerns, governed by a government council (equal representation of these areas) for international and other matters of national importance.
That was a great post. The historical content included a lot of things I didn't know, so thanks for that. Your strategy for devoluted powers was a good idea and has convinced me to click on the off topic forum more in future! One thing I would like to add is my own personal thoughts. We are a larger more powerful nation in every aspect with Scotland and we will have more influence over our and our children's futures together. For that reason I did not want to lose Scotland in the last referendum, but if they do vote to leave and carry it out they are on their own. There is no coming back if it doesn't work out, both parties will just have move forward as best they can. What would that mean for the British army?

Im not angry about Scotland seeking independence, but like many down here I am sick of hearing about how it's all our fault yet you get so much more than the vast majority of us. Yet still you moan and the snp continually blame us for all your ills. Ayrshire blue said a couple of days ago that you lot got shafted like us in the English regions, I asked him how he thought he was getting shafted these days. No answer ! it's clearly all in your heads!! Admitedly I do get annoyed by magic pole and his ilk as he clearly avoids questions he doesn't want to answer. That aside no issue with the Scots at all. Just the SNP and their brown shirt bully boys like magicpole.
This is part of the reason the passion in me had built up to that big post - I've asked MagicPole a couple times in the past what he feels is the basis to Scotland's claim for independence besides current economic/political matters and those posts were completely ignored. Was trying to see things from a Scottish Yes voter's perspective but he wouldn't answer which along with other such Scots has just ended up getting me annoyed about the situation because it feels like their opinions are baseless regarding the meaningful claims and snap decisions instead.

I too am sick of hearing "woe is Scotland" when they have it better than anybody else in the U.K. - I don't know how they don't see it - they have the power to set their own tax and not pay uni fees and that creates an imbalance in the U.K. whereby the likes of us up North are the ones that pay for it. Instead of the SNP using their momentum to create much needed reform for all their actual countrymen - Britons - they ignore the real issues to empower themselves. I don't like assuming people are selfish but I have continually given chances to try and truly understand their perspective.

I just dont see that there is the same appetite for devolution in England as there is in Scotland, Wales or NI. For example, If they were to set up NHS North East, NHS Midlands etc, with the same powers and responsibilities as NHS Scotland most of the English electorate would think it would be a huge waste of money. Ditto devolving Education in the same way as it is in Wales. Any desire to move powers from Westminister is very limited, as John Prescott found out when he tried to set up a Regional Assembly in the North East. Among the English there seems to be a greater desire for uniformity and fairness, hence why the phrase "post code lottery" is so frequently used.

I just dont see that there is the same appetite for devolution in England as there is in Scotland, Wales or NI. For example, If they were to set up NHS North East, NHS Midlands etc, with the same powers and responsibilities as NHS Scotland most of the English electorate would think it would be a huge waste of money. Ditto devolving Education in the same way as it is in Wales. Any desire to move powers from Westminister is very limited, as John Prescott found out when he tried to set up a Regional Assembly in the North East. Among the English there seems to be a greater desire for uniformity and fairness, hence why the phrase "post code lottery" is so frequently used.
I opted to for "complete devolution" to keep the word count down - really what I meant was, what is appropriate and fair for an effective system nationwide. Teaching a true and balanced version of these isles' history I think would be very important in keeping a unifying identity between these areas as people would have a true sense of history but still be able to form balanced opinions on important matters so working within a nationwide Educational framework would be necessary (but that's my personal preference). With such a political system - if you don't like the tax rates in one area, your free to move to another or any other matter. Of course the party in power of each region would have to adapt their policies if too many people started moving out of their area or another region was performing better than economically expected - it acts as a check and balance across the whole country so that it's not just one party in power for everyone dictating to everyone.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.