Summer Transfers

Do we really need a new goal keeper now that Willy has found his feet? I would not mind a contract extension. Willy, Bravo and Gunn would be okay for me.

Do we really need a new goal keeper now that Willy has found his feet? I would not mind a contract extension. Willy, Bravo and Gunn would be okay for me.
Don't think it's as high on the priority list as full back on both sides and centre mid. That said, if we get a good price for Hart in the summer we should probably look to reinvest that money in the same position as presumably we've already earmarked funds for the other positions. I agree on keeping Willy regardless tbh, if we decide a replacement no 1 for Bravo is needed then Willy will make a far better no 2 than Bravo - he has a lower expectation of his place in the squad and won't block Gunn from the no 2 spot when he's ready as at 35 he'll probably be happy enough to start to drop back into the 3rd choice goalie/goalkeeping coach spot that Richard Wright occupied.

Actually, now I come to think of it, unless Bravo steps up enough to be no. 1 then we need a new goalkeeper, Willy at his age isn't acceptable as the no 1, there's no guarantee that his level at the end of next season will be anything close to his level at the present moment.

Don't think it's as high on the priority list as full back on both sides and centre mid. That said, if we get a good price for Hart in the summer we should probably look to reinvest that money in the same position as presumably we've already earmarked funds for the other positions. I agree on keeping Willy regardless tbh, if we decide a replacement no 1 for Bravo is needed then Willy will make a far better no 2 than Bravo - he has a lower expectation of his place in the squad and won't block Gunn from the no 2 spot when he's ready as at 35 he'll probably be happy enough to start to drop back into the 3rd choice goalie/goalkeeping coach spot that Richard Wright occupied.

Actually, now I come to think of it, unless Bravo steps up enough to be no. 1 then we need a new goalkeeper, Willy at his age isn't acceptable as the no 1, there's no guarantee that his level at the end of next season will be anything close to his level at the present moment.
I was thinking we could stick with the current 3 keepers for 1 more season, in which Rulli have more time to develop and show us if he is a future option.
I would - like you it seems - prioritize our funds in the direction of full backs and centre mid, as it is there we have the greatest age problems in our squad. Personally I would let Sagna, Clichy and Yaya go at the end this season, and hopefully replace them with younger first team starters.
I would consider giving Zab another year, because he can serve as a backup fullback and can also do a job in DM in times of need.
Kolarov will stay I reckon, mainly because of his versatility. For me he becomes a backup centre back, who could also be a backup fullback if required.
I hope Maffeo will make it and become another fullback in our squad.
The question is what to do in the center back area. I don't think we are doing too badly there when Kompany is fit, but I would probably not risk that again. Stones and Ota is for me okay. Will be interesting to see if Pep goes looking for another CB.
So all in all I am down to 2 FB's and 1 DM, and we will be in a better shape :-)

I was thinking we could stick with the current 3 keepers for 1 more season, in which Rulli have more time to develop and show us if he is a future option.
I would - like you it seems - prioritize our funds in the direction of full backs and centre mid, as it is there we have the greatest age problems in our squad. Personally I would let Sagna, Clichy and Yaya go at the end this season, and hopefully replace them with younger first team starters.
I would consider giving Zab another year, because he can serve as a backup fullback and can also do a job in DM in times of need.
Kolarov will stay I reckon, mainly because of his versatility. For me he becomes a backup centre back, who could also be a backup fullback if required.
I hope Maffeo will make it and become another fullback in our squad.
The question is what to do in the center back area. I don't think we are doing too badly there when Kompany is fit, but I would probably not risk that again. Stones and Ota is for me okay. Will be interesting to see if Pep goes looking for another CB.
So all in all I am down to 2 FB's and 1 DM, and we will be in a better shape :-)
Yeah a fullback on either side and a defensive mid who can play the pivot role well is exactly what I'd be looking for, I think bringing 4 fullbacks in at once would be unsettling for the entire team and also unnecessary - it not the age of the lads we have at the moment that's the problem, it's the fact that all 4 of them are that age, 2 at that age as back ups along with 2 younger lads would be perfect for squad harmony as well as helping the balance of the team.

I'd say it's a certainty we'll bring in a centre half as well though - first of all it seems that Guardiola doesn't want to rely on Kompany and secondly he'll want a passing centre half that's either left footed or two footed as the best possible fit for the left centre half role in a 4 and the leftmost role in a 3 - IF he chooses to try that again, personally I'm not too sure it suits our current widemen (Sterling and Sane) and I think even with new full backs next year I wouldn't drop either of those 2 to try it.

Edit: The unsettling part about the 4 fullbacks bit above - I don't want to bring in 2 first team quality players and 2 mediocre ones as it's a bit silly and we'd probably have to make promises about gametime etc that we couldn't keep to bring in 4 at starter quality which wouldn't be healthy for morale when 2 of them started feeling like they'd been lied to or weren't getting a chance.

Dunno if there is any truth in this.....

After having turned down rumours linking him to the beginning of a negotiation with Manchester City, which would have been led by former manager of his, Pep Guardiola, German international Manuel Neuer(30), acknowledged for several years, up to these days, as the best goalkeeper around worldwide (together with Italian veteran Gianluigi Buffon), is indeed becoming more and more of a main target for Premier League giants, much disappointed with Claudio Bravo's impact, and already determined to get rid of Torino loanee Joe Hart. Currently on a deal with Bayern Munich, which he's been playing for since 2011/12, until June 2021, former Schalke 04 star player is earning a 9 million euros salary from Die Roten; Barcelona FC as well, not thrilled with Marc-André Ter Stegen's reliability as a regular N° 1, might enter the race towards him. On his turn, Neuer, after having won any trophy possible at Munich, might be enthused by the chance of a brand new experience.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.