Thailand

I'm in Pattaya right now with the Thai mrs and our son.Been coming here since 1989 and been about 20-25 times.started bkk,flew air asia to surat thani,ferry over to Samui and Lamai beach,then over to Phuket,flew up to Udon Thani with the inlaws again on air asia then down to utapao and pattaya.things getting not so cheap like it once was,i remember the £ being 75 bhat ,it was so cheap and good value.some great places to visit,Sukkothai and Ayuthaya both old capitals before Bangkok,chiang mai is much smaller than bkk and easy to walk around on foot.

Getting back to Chang beer,it used to be 7.5% volume and about 35 bhat for a 660ml big bottle,u could get pretty pissed on 3 or 4 bottles for £2 back in the day,theyve knocked the strength down over recent years ,its now 5.5%.Leo is now my preferred beer at 5% .

Chock dee khrap !

Udon thani is a fine place, easy to get to laos and the mekhong and decent number of flights to other places, plus thats where I will mainly be staying when I'm over there in our house. first went in 99 when 23 with some work mates(mixed group of 3 chefs and 5 receptionists) traveling and fell in love with the place, went back for the next 2 years with one of those mates mainly living pattaya as a base while traveling because of the pratically 24hr drinking and with samet not far or bangkok again for travelling convenience, it's where I met the missus working in the hotel beer garden. try and go back every year to see family and friends, beautiful country that I recomend to all.

Udon thani is a fine place, easy to get to laos and the mekhong and decent number of flights to other places, plus thats where I will mainly be staying when I'm over there in our house. first went in 99 when 23 with some work mates(mixed group of 3 chefs and 5 receptionists) traveling and fell in love with the place, went back for the next 2 years with one of those mates mainly living pattaya as a base while traveling because of the pratically 24hr drinking and with samet not far or bangkok again for travelling convenience, it's where I met the missus working in the hotel beer garden. try and go back every year to see family and friends, beautiful country that I recomend to all.
Been to Udon quite a few times now since meeting/marrying my wife 11 years ago,her family live near Kut chap about 20-30 kms west of Udon centre.My wife trained for TAT in hotel and tourism,got a degree in it ,met her on faceparty not facebook,its defunked now I think,still so gratefull for that website has without it Id never of met and wed her !
this is our first trip back for 2 years now and I'm pretty shocked at the prices for a lot of things,its as dear or dearer for certain everyday items,80 bhat for dental floss at familly mart =£1.80 yet at home 39 pence from homebargains,Leo 55 bhat same as lager from our supermarkets,toothpaste and soap the same price as at home etc her streetfood 100-150 bt £3,same as weatherspoons at home albeit a bit dearer but you get a pint for £5 with a meal.pattaya now is swamped with Indians,Chinese and Ruskies,not how it was in the 90's and 2000's where it was brits in their thousands.

Been to Udon quite a few times now since meeting/marrying my wife 11 years ago,her family live near Kut chap about 20-30 kms west of Udon centre.My wife trained for TAT in hotel and tourism,got a degree in it ,met her on faceparty not facebook,its defunked now I think,still so gratefull for that website has without it Id never of met and wed her !
this is our first trip back for 2 years now and I'm pretty shocked at the prices for a lot of things,its as dear or dearer for certain everyday items,80 bhat for dental floss at familly mart =£1.80 yet at home 39 pence from homebargains,Leo 55 bhat same as lager from our supermarkets,toothpaste and soap the same price as at home etc her streetfood 100-150 bt £3,same as weatherspoons at home albeit a bit dearer but you get a pint for £5 with a meal.pattaya now is swamped with Indians,Chinese and Ruskies,not how it was in the 90's and 2000's where it was brits in their thousands.

Yeah price have changed a lot, but then I put that down to pounds weakness economally compared to pre 2008 when the bhat at 68 to the £ not 49 like now, Still I have noticed the same thing are dearer like go Big C now and get a full weekly shop and it will be about £40 where it was half that 5 years ago. Luckily in Udon it's still inexpensive to go out with beer and food in UD town night market food square still pretty cheap.

Went Pattaya last 2 years ago as my wife cousin works on a bar so went to visit, and yeah the russians are everywhere (even russian prostitute bars) and it's a bit shifty.

75 to the pound was the best I ever got
was just over 50 in April
75 bt to the pound ! Those were the days,I used to come for 1 month and only spend £1600-£1800 including flights .Hotel,bar girl ,bar fine ,piss up ,great food everyday.Now,getting here costs me £1200 to £1350 for 3 of us.

Hi Folks,

My wife and I would like to go to Thailand (probably around March next year) we're both around 50, reasonably physically fit, but don't fancy backpacking. Phuket looks great, and relaxing., though we're open to suggestions.

As a total newbie to that part of the world, can you please recommend areas and perhaps travel companies?

Also, much of the searches made so far gives hotels that are including B&B only, is food generally reasonably priced or expensive in and outside the hotels?

Our budget is around 4-5k

Many many thanks in advance to those taking the time to advise!

Edit: Oh, the likes of First Choice offer all inclusive hotels, but not sure that's the best way to go either....

I've heard it's full of Russian mafia that murder people and don't get investigated because they own the police.
Nice scenery though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.