The Album Review Club - Week #120 - (page 1413) - The Lexicon of Love - ABC

Not that I am super big on comparisons, but if there is anything I am drawn to linoing with the waterboys when I listen to them, it is actually The Cure.

Not necessarily in direct musical similarity or even mood, more in the way the songs play out, the apparent lack of a formal set structure. With both I get that feeling of the band effectively olayong for themselves, rather than for an audience. They will repeat a segment as many times as they are compelled to, they will go on as long as they feel like it, they will take their time to get to where they want to etc.

I've had a listen to this and it's just not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

The Whole of The Moon is the stand out track and it was great to hear it again, it's a superb song. I also really liked This Is The Sea as well.

The songs themselves are well written and there's plenty to get into.. but for me, the production really let's it down. It sounds very "tinny" and I find his voice a bit annoying after a bit. The version I had on Spotify was a 2-disc version and it was just too long for me.

It's certainly not a bad album, there's plenty of good tracks on there and they are a good band. It's just not for me though.

6/10

Not really sure what that actually means. Can you expand on it?
I mean just enjoying the music, getting lost in it and taken to another place. Or on a dancefloor, mesmerised by the beat and the bass. Careless and driven to move.
Given the knowledge and research a lot of the reviewers obviously have, I wonder if they think a bit too much when listening and end up missing the soul of the tune.

I mean just enjoying the music, getting lost in it and taken to another place. Or on a dancefloor, mesmerised by the beat and the bass. Careless and driven to move.
Given the knowledge and research a lot of the reviewers obviously have, I wonder if they think a bit too much when listening and end up missing the soul of the tune.

Writing about music is like dancing about architecture … as a cleverer fella than me, once said ;-)

Writing about music is like dancing about architecture … as a cleverer fella than me, once said ;-)
Whoever said that was clearly misinformed.

I think you can gain a lot more appreciation about just about anything by reading about it. Yes, the music itself is the main thing - it goes without saying. Reading about music is interesting because you can find out how it was made, why it was made, where it was made, who was involved in making it. As for reviews and analysis, you find out what other people think about it, which is important because there might be something you have missed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.