The Ballon D'Or goes to...

It's been pretty much a closed shop for the last decade with Messi and Ronaldo, but it should get more interesting when they either retire or their performances wane. Jesus, Sterling and Sane are amongst the best young players in Europe at the moment, so hopefully one of them could step up and become one of the best players in the world.

Just for giggles and with all our players looking great right now, let's play a little game.

Who from our team will be the first City player to make the shortlist of 3 for the Ballon D'Or?

Bonus points for saying when :-)

I think Sané will win it by the time he's 26. By that time Messi and Ronaldo 36 / 37 and Sané will be at his peak. Unfortunately I think he might be playing for Real Madrid by then.

If you want to win the Ballon D'or, you have to score 50-60 goals per season. Ballon D'or winners are decided by managers and club captains, therefore, they just look at the stats who scored the most goals. Ronaldo scores 80% of his goals from penalties and tap-ins but he still wins it coz he scores 50 per season.

Difficult to isolate anyone at the moment as we have a lot of potential and contenders in the future

It seems goals and assist numbers is major nowadays when it comes to picking a Ballon D'or especially with Ronaldo and Messi still around but that could change in the next few years if their performance begin to drop. So the attacking players in the squad like Gabriel and Sane will have a better chance of getting into the top three if they start scoring lots of goals in the upcoming years.

De Bruyne's role in the team has changed a bit in this new system so his goals tally may be affected (but not necessarily his assists) but he is still a contender and has the potential to be in the top 3 as well.

Sooooo, If I have to predict (guess) I will say.. De Bruyne 2019, Gabriel 2021/2022

The best player in Europe has to win something for me... So until that Champs League is won, we'll have to wait. Closed shop with Ronaldo and Messi yes, because their recent Euro trophy haul and scoring record matches it. Every top 3 player nominated looks to have won the Champs League as far as I can see..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.