The best City manager since '76 and why?

DontLookBackInAnger said:
I find it really interesting that so many names have come up even with only a handful of posts.

Agreed. Football is very emotive though and people tend to remember great games and moments and possibly judge their 'overall' impression of one manager or the other on those games, hence Machin and the 5-1, Sven and 2-1 at OT and, of course, Joe Royle and Wembley '99. I found the comment on Coppell interesting however. So much damage was caused by some of these guys that we would have been better off without them for certain. Looking at the list, how often were we actually better off with the replacement of the man before them - take Ball in for Horton as an example? On the other side most people at the time would have taken Kendall for Machin any day.

Horton, great memories of his team, the mid 90s and gettin lashed. Felt sorry for him as he was a dead man walking, from the start. Top bloke 'n all.

Reid - still wonder how that team did so well, he certainly got the best out of them - got rid of him far too soon.
Loved the football under Horton and Keegan. Hopefully with time it will be Hughes :-)

A tie between Horton and Royle imo for different reasons known to all.

Sven doesnt even get a look in as he gave up on us and no matter the circumstances,that was insulting to us fans.When he was trying he was phenomonal but he gave up on us and that makes him almost as bad as Steve Coppell(for those who dont know he lasted like a week the twunt)...I'll never forget what he did and also what Dave Bassett did(accepted the job but at last minute pulled out and slated us in the press for a week then)

Its funny though because I assumed I would have said Reid but looking back I merged the reid and horton eras into one.Horton definitely deserves the credit!And thanks Joe for saving our club.

Tony Book - the last manager to win anything. The manager the last time we were genuinely better than United on the field - not just talking about odd results, but better results over a sustained period plus better league position. A team that were genuine title contenders in at least two of those seasons, who maintained that challenge throughout - were it not for Colin Bell's injury I'm sure we would have done it. A nice guy as well, who had the respect of the dressing room having been City's last (even today) Championship winning skipper.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.