The Bluemoon Song Cup 2023

Obviously voted for 'Leave the Capitol'. It's The Fall's greatest song and was officially confirmed as such when it won a similar competition on the Fall forum website years ago, which set every song ever released against all the others:

But why the misspelling in the song name, and why a live version rather than the one off Slates?

First heard them on the Short Circuit: Live At the Electric Circus album which I bought on blue vinyl when I was 16. The two songs they recorded for that ('Stepping Out', 'Last Orders') sound pretty conventional by the standards of what came next.

Actually took me years to fully appreciate them. Songs and albums that don't make an impression first time around can sometimes grow on you after a few listens. But with The Fall, it really did take ages, even though the process was unforced. What basically happened was that I started with their more accessible middle period albums and eventually got the point of their earlier ones, like Grotesque, that initially sounded baffling and impenetrable.

This extract from Steve Pringle's You Must Get Them All: The Fall on Record describes how this process worked for another fan:

'In 2013 a new website emerged that was to offer a whole new level of Fall-related analysis. 'bzgt' is a philosophy teacher at a community college in New Jersey., where he was born and raised. A lifelong and passionate fan of The Grateful Dead, he didn't come across The Fall until 2010, when an acquaintance made him a 5-CD compilation of the group. He played it through twice, declared himself both overwhelmed and mystified, and then left it on a shelf for the next two years.

In 2012, having completed his doctorate in philosophy, he decided to return to the compilation and listened to nothing else for two weeks. 'It was just as well my dissertation was finished,' he reflects, 'because after two weeks with these CDs in my car, I was not thinking about much else besides The Fall.'

...And so in 2013 - a year in which bzgt listened to no other music than The Fall's
- The Annotated Fall was born. The site is a sprawling labyrinth of analysis, research. research, philosophising and occasional fanciful conjecture that has rapidly come to be regarded as one of the most important Fall resources.'

Got a spare 30 minutes or so? Here's the entry for 'Leave the Capitol':

Can completely understand why the result might elicit a few boos, though. The band really are an acquired taste.

But anyway, here's the song in its original pristine glory:

I was lucky enough to see the Fall at Deeply Vale, 77 or 78 I can’t remember. I was only there for the afternoon, they made a massive impression on me and I was an avid fan right up until Hex when my interest did start to wane a bit. I still love everything from Bingo Masters Break Out right up to Slates. Leave the Capitol is a fantastic song.

I’ve often thought I should go back to my missing years and re explore the rest of their catalogue

I have a major gripe with The Beatles McCartney stuff.
I find it bland,same with his solo stuff.
So New Order this round.

Obviously voted for 'Leave the Capitol'. It's The Fall's greatest song and was officially confirmed as such when it won a similar competition on the Fall forum website years ago, which set every song ever released against all the others:

But why the misspelling in the song name, and why a live version rather than the one off Slates?

First heard them on the Short Circuit: Live At the Electric Circus album which I bought on blue vinyl when I was 16. The two songs they recorded for that ('Stepping Out', 'Last Orders') sound pretty conventional by the standards of what came next.

Actually took me years to fully appreciate them. Songs and albums that don't make an impression first time around can sometimes grow on you after a few listens. But with The Fall, it really did take ages, even though the process was unforced. What basically happened was that I started with their more accessible middle period albums and eventually got the point of their earlier ones, like Grotesque, that initially sounded baffling and impenetrable.

This extract from Steve Pringle's You Must Get Them All: The Fall on Record describes how this process worked for another fan:

'In 2013 a new website emerged that was to offer a whole new level of Fall-related analysis. 'bzgt' is a philosophy teacher at a community college in New Jersey., where he was born and raised. A lifelong and passionate fan of The Grateful Dead, he didn't come across The Fall until 2010, when an acquaintance made him a 5-CD compilation of the group. He played it through twice, declared himself both overwhelmed and mystified, and then left it on a shelf for the next two years.

In 2012, having completed his doctorate in philosophy, he decided to return to the compilation and listened to nothing else for two weeks. 'It was just as well my dissertation was finished,' he reflects, 'because after two weeks with these CDs in my car, I was not thinking about much else besides The Fall.'

...And so in 2013 - a year in which bzgt listened to no other music than The Fall's
- The Annotated Fall was born. The site is a sprawling labyrinth of analysis, research. research, philosophising and occasional fanciful conjecture that has rapidly come to be regarded as one of the most important Fall resources.'

Got a spare 30 minutes or so? Here's the entry for 'Leave the Capitol':

Can completely understand why the result might elicit a few boos, though. The band really are an acquired taste.

But anyway, here's the song in its original pristine glory:

And that's the better version?

Has to be BLT for me. Prefer the remixed version on "Substance" rather than the album version off "Brotherhood". And like all NO tracks, the live version has evolved over time so still sounds cutting edge. Gillian's synth work on this is sublime.
As for The Beatles, they'd already split up before I was born. My parents used to play Sgt Pepper all the time at home, and I used to enjoy some of it, but I can't help but think they probably split at the right time. Let It Be to me sounds like some of McCartney's later bland solo output.

So, definitely NO for me, but probably only because it was very influential to my musical tastes in my teens.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.