The British Monarchy | Princess of Wales diagnosed with cancer (p396)

It’s not “everything” is it?

Everyone owns private property in this country
That's the point - the crown once "owned everything", now they have used the country's resources over many generations to become fabulously wealthy - but the "profit" you're talking about doesn't come from their private property - it comes from property the state owns.

Whilst I would probably be for inclusion of the royal family in any top down review of government and politics, my impression is that they are observers of the political process other than meaningless ceremony. If they are indeed heads of state and overall protectors of the nations values (Charles words yesterday) Who, if not they, should be capable of applying checks and balances to a government hellbound in driving U.K. off a very high cliff? The answer is not the House of Lords. It’s a moot Point as no review will take place and I fear we are doomed to diminish further.
Agree, it’s an academic debate.

That's the point - the crown once "owned everything", now they have used the country's resources over many generations to become fabulously wealthy - but the "profit" you're talking about doesn't come from their private property - it comes from property the state owns.
I’m not sure that’s entirely historically accurate.

The crown could seize property and whack up taxes as much as they wanted but they didn’t directly own everything, certainly not post Norman conquest.

Let’s not forget he is still grieving for the loss of his mother. All he we want to do is be with his family but royal protocol means he can’t . We are watching. History atm
He’ll be in quite the juxtaposition of grieving and also nervous/excited that his entire raison d’être in life has finally begun alongside the duty of expectation and getting things right in all these ceremonies.

Let’s not forget that he’s pretty old too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.