The Cooking Class

Good old fashioned corned beef hash mate. It's comfort food weather, I made it recently.

6-8 good sized potatoes ( I like Maris Piper)
3 medium carrots
1 onion
I large tin of good quality corned beef (John West or Princess) as far content and salt is lower. (Refrigerate first)
2 Oxo cubes
I tablespoon of Worcester sauce
Season with black(or white) pepper

Finely chop onion and put into a large saucepan with about half a pint of water. Add oxo cubes and bring to simmer. Chop carrots to 1cm squares, some smaller, add to onions 5 mins later. Peel spuds and chop a third of them fine (3mm square) a third 1 cm, other third 1" cubes. Add to pan, simmer for 20-30 mins, adding Worcester sauce and pepper(to taste)

Take corned beef from fridge and scrape any fat off the sides, chop to 1" cubes, add 5 mins before hash is ready(test biggest pieces of spuds and carrots with fork), put pan lid on, cook corned RF 5 minutes, gently stir meat into veg and hey presto, dead easy corned beef hash.

Serve with red cabbage or baby picked beetroots and maybe garlic bread.

Enjoy: )

Thank you!! Love it.

Cook some spaghetti as per the instructions (but leave out the salt).

Meanwhile, take a small saucepan and gently heat a large knob of butter and a dollop of Marmite. While the spaghetti is cooking, spoon off a bit of the starchy liquid (a couple of tablespoons should do it) and add to the Marmite and mix well.

As the spaghetti is almost done, drain off and return to the pan. Pour over the buttery Marmite, chuck in some chopped parsley and serve with some crusty garlic bread.

Meanwhile, take a small saucepan and gently heat a large knob of butter and a dollop of Marmite. While the spaghetti is cooking, spoon off a bit of the starchy liquid (a couple of tablespoons should do it) and add to the Marmite and mix well.

As the spaghetti is almost done, drain off and return to the pan. Pour over the buttery Marmite, chuck in some chopped parsley and serve with some crusty garlic bread.

That'll be lovely Marmite is the food of the gods, I drink marmite every night for my supper.

I’ve tried this loads of times, better than a takeaway, don’t listen near the end, it’s annoying when he’s tasting the food, smacking his lips.

Run for the hills......!!!!

;-)

Thank you!! Love it.
I also have a good Pea n' ham soup recipe mate. Not made it for 2 years but it's my own recipe, so off the top of my head ...

1 good sized Ham hock from butchers

500gm bag of dried split green peas(some have a bicarbonate of soda tab included)

1 celery stick, 1 large carrot, 1 medium onion, 1 medium potato.

1 vegetable stockcube, 1 teaspoon of mint sauce, 1/2 teaspoon of dried mixed herbs, 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper.

Steep peas overnight in water with bicarbonate of soda tablet. If peas don't contain bicarb tab add 1 n' half teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda instead.

Drain off bicarbs water from peas rinsing with tap water, set aside.

Put ham hock in pan with about 2 pints of water, bring to boil, simmer with lid on low heat for 1 hour. Turn off heat and remove ham hock saving 1/2 pint of brine water from pan. Cool ham hock, then cut all fat off. Slice off all the meat from bone and cut into varying sized chunks.

Poor 1/2 pint of brine water and same(for now) amount of tap water. Add to pan, with very finely chopped onion potato carrot and celery sticks(adding these adds to flavour IMO)

Add vegetable stockcube pepper mixed herbs and mint sauce to pan and simmer until(can't remember exactly) peas are soft and veg is mostly dissolved. You may need to add more water during cooking, depends on how thick you want the soup to be. Best way is to take lid off pan every 5 mins to stir and make sure it's not getting too dry.

Serve with a crusty sliced buttered baguette.

This soup is spot on! ; )

Last edited:
This is how I see cooking... I'm a pretty shit hot chef...

You're going to make mistakes, accept that now. Try and keep everything the same, it's an experiment. Only when everything is the same, can you make improvements.

Anyway, this is easy... 1 onion, 1 potato, 4 eggs, salt pepper.

tortilla de patatas.

Get a normal 25/30cm frying pan.

Stick oil in, not butter, a lot too, say 150ml.

Chop the onions, fine. Peel and slice a potato about half a thumb nail in width, use 2 if it's small.

Do not fry it!!! Low heat with a lid on... LID ON! This is important.

If the potatoes brown you've fucked up.

Stir and flip every 10 mins.

In a separate big bowl, stick the eggs in, beat them, salt and pepper. Leave it.

The potatoes and onion will be ready in 30 mins.

Take off the heat and leave for 5 mins, just let them cool, they're going in the bowl.

Take them out the pan once cooled (not too much, you just dont want to cook the egg) and stick them in the bowl leaving the oil in the pan.

Get a 6/8 inch frying pan, the deeper the better. A deeper 6 inch is better than a shallow 8 inch.

Pour a bit of the oil in from the previous frying pan, heat on medium, pour in mixture from bowl.

Use a spatula to make a cushion shape.

Cook forn3 mins, it'll be a bit raw on top, and will be cooking through the bottom obviously.

Stick it under the grill until there is no liquid on the top, don't over do it though, as soon as it's solid, remove.

Take it out, stick a chopping board on top of the pan, and turn upside down. Put the upside down pan back over it (should be a perfect fit) and turn back over. Cook for 3 more minites on a low heat.

Use the spatula to keep a cushion shape.

It should be cooked but runny in the middle (Its supposed to be like that).

Enjoy.

Sign up to Pinterest, you can find great easy recipes on there and save them for later, just search for something like easy Korean recipes and a ton will come up

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Good old fashioned corned beef hash mate. It's comfort food weather, I made it recently.

6-8 good sized potatoes ( I like Maris Piper)
3 medium carrots
1 onion
I large tin of good quality corned beef (John West or Princess) as far content and salt is lower. (Refrigerate first)
2 Oxo cubes
I tablespoon of Worcester sauce
Season with black(or white) pepper

Finely chop onion and put into a large saucepan with about half a pint of water. Add oxo cubes and bring to simmer. Chop carrots to 1cm squares, some smaller, add to onions 5 mins later. Peel spuds and chop a third of them fine (3mm square) a third 1 cm, other third 1" cubes. Add to pan, simmer for 20-30 mins, adding Worcester sauce and pepper(to taste)

Take corned beef from fridge and scrape any fat off the sides, chop to 1" cubes, add 5 mins before hash is ready(test biggest pieces of spuds and carrots with fork), put pan lid on, cook corned RF 5 minutes, gently stir meat into veg and hey presto, dead easy corned beef hash.

Serve with red cabbage or baby picked beetroots and maybe garlic bread.

Enjoy: )

I love corned beef hash. Make mine using leeks instead of onions. Sometimes make a pastry topping. Red cabbage for me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.