The David Makin interview

you are absolutely right micky finn .we did see david makin in the fusilier before the semi and the final. unknown to him he became the final piece in our pre match ritual. i went to the Bradford promotion game with david makin (and john wardle - name dropping). David makin is blue through and through and spoke for many on that radio phone-in.unlike lots of self-made businessmen however he doesn't like the limelight but prefers to go and support his heroes on what used to be called the terraces when he and i first started supporting our beloved club-many blue moons ago.top bloke in my book

Prestwich_Blue said:
I don't think people fully appreciate what a state we were when Swales finally let go. I'm not sure anyone could have put things right that quickly as a lot of money was needed. That being the case, I'm still think Lee's handling of the job was poor. He claims he wasn't autocratic but all the evidence seems to suggest he was just as bad as Swales in that regard.

I don't doubt Makin's credentials as a fan but he certainly didn't want the job himself so what he did was equivalent, if not worse, to the Barton interview after the Watford game towards the end of the Pearce era. Plus him and Wardle may have put money into the club but they didn't leave us in a much better state than they found us and undermined the one man who seemed to be turning us round financially.

The things that sickened by father (I was a sprog) and my mothers dad ( a manc with season tickets at both clubs), was the way swales carved up the money making elements of the club, between him and his cronies. We were losing between £300,000 to £450,000 on shirt sales and equal, or greater amounts through the greenalls debacle every season for about 8 years! Throw in the bribe to Doug Ellis via buying Steve Daley (wolves then bought Andy Gray for virtually the same amount) and what you have is a user of the highest order. The thing is that Platini was a whisker away from signing and with an extra £1 million in revenue, we would have been able to maintain our drive for trophies, if we had retained Tony Book. I always felt our club was being paid back for the way we treated him, but you could say the same about Brian Horton.

-- Wed May 25, 2011 6:23 pm --

Didsbury Dave said:
SWP's back said:
I don't neccesarily agree with you on that point. I would have until 2 season's ago, but not anymore. I go and watch my nephew play football on a Saturday morning in Lancaster when I visit my folks. When he first started going as a 4 year old, he was conspicuous by the fact that he was the only one in a City kit. I managed to bob down there last weekend and there were 6 of them in god's own blue (out of 4 pitches of 7 a side). I know it is not conclusive and purely anecdotal, but it was certainly noticable in the rag and pool stronghold.

Keep investing and keep winning things and the trend will continue, certainly in manchester.

Worth a thread on its own, this, in fact I did one some time ago.

You can see the effect that the period of this interview had on our support amongst our own fans, this forum being a good barometer. For most of our fans in their late teens, twenties and even early 30s there is this "reds under the bed" fear: Everyone's a "rag", "rags" are going to come and spoil our parade, our stewards are "rags" etc. There's this inbuild paranoia that everyone supports United which doesnt exist amongst the older generation.

I honestly don't know if we are turning the tide with the local kids or not, but I'm happy to take your word. Success wll surely help further. A personal bugbear of mine is the atmospehre in the stadium: kids want noise not cheesey games. I belive moving the away fans, even just accross the south stand, will attract more kids to want to come back.

I agree, that and the compassionate support that drifted to the swamp after the plane crash cannot be underestimated and means the hardcore that remained are a hell of a good bunch of supporters!

Dave Makin is a top man gave me a lift home from Maine road a few times in my youth when I used to stand on the kippax with his brother and a few other blues from Heywood. Hd was kind enough to drop me in Middleton a few times on his way home. Him and John wardle saved this club from the brink on more than one occasion even when the responsibility to do so was no longer theirs. They should always be remembered and appreciated for that and have for me been instrumental in helping us to get to our current position. We would have been Sheffield Wednesday mark II without their support.

david'ssilva said:
Remember listening to this on gmr on the way home from the match. Was happy people where finaly hearing the truth about franny, though some people still think he did no wrong for the club.

Good old Franny...v Norman (bite 'yer legs) Hunter....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8kxMnc5KUs[/youtube]

I don't think Franny was away for long. I remember him waving back at us as he was getting into his car at Wembley in 99 after the play off final.

I think this season is healing a lot of wounds at the club with everyone just thrilled to see the club finally doing so well.

I'm sure someone posted last year that they had this sacred interview on tape cassette, but didn't have the means to digitise it and upload it on here.

REVEAL YOURSELF!

mancmackem said:
I'm sure someone posted last year that they had this sacred interview on tape cassette, but didn't have the means to digitise it and upload it on here.

REVEAL YOURSELF!
Me. But I typed it instead earlier in the thread

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.