The death of VAR

It's very easily fixed if they want it to be.

They need to publish written reasonings for their decisions either way.

That alone would clear up 90% of the bad calls, because as soon as they're made to explain the utterly inexplicable decisions, they'll be scrutinised, the public and media will go mad if they come out with bullshit, there will be a record of their incompetence and they will know can't get away with them.

The other thing is they just need to get used to overruling each other and accept it's not a big deal like every other sport in the world has managed to.

Binning Mike Riley will be the cherry on top.

As it is, I suspect we will get more right decisions but the time delay will go up next season when they use the monitors.
The solution would be to permit the cameras into the "shed" at SP and listen to the discussion. Furthermore, why not mike up the refs and listen in to the discussion between the referee and the off field officials! Surely, they won't be having anything to hide (apart from their inability and the corruption that is ongoing) will they?

While I agree that the talk-through in rugby/cricket is great, it is a little different as it's almost always yes/no stuff - cricket reviews on whether a catch carries still can't be reliably sorted out by camera.

A foul in football is subjective and can sometimes be opinion. It may be that it develops a situation akin to 'umpire's call' or the onfield try ruling which needs definitive proof to overrule.

With luck a ref will be happier to correct his own error though. There have been too many inexplicable decisions which VAR has not fixed.
The point is if they explained it at least we would hear why they decided the way they did. Unfortunately the arrogant pricks at PGMOL feel they are above that. CORRUPT CHEATS

Great post
In an ideal world I’d love an independent panel of foreign referees at Stockley Park as well instead of the usual suspects backing up their mates

There has certainly been a suspicion of the refs vetting themselves, with all the hierarchy that brings.
With much being reduced to "you need to go and look at the monitor", it should be much easier to push it back to the onfield ref.

I do wonder whether Collina will involve himself in the English VAR system a little more, as it's a very high profile league. If he does, I doubt we'll hear much apart from a couple of general statements. I still half-expect Riley to be retired after the cup final.

Not sure what the best solution to offside is or will be, as that's going to stay with the VAR ref.

The point is if they explained it at least we would hear why they decided the way they did. Unfortunately the arrogant pricks at PGMOL feel they are above that. CORRUPT CHEATS

Indeed, the lack of public clarity does not help the impression.

At least if the onfield ref views it for himself on screen, then there's only one person making the decision. If VAR doesn't advise use of the monitor, it should be obvious. I'm assuming that the VAR advice will go up on the big screen at the stadium, and thus prevent the onfield ref ignoring it.

I never wanted VAR, I prefer the referee to be the arbiter and at least it's clear what the decision is - right or wrong. I do think what VAR has shown is how good our referees were beforehand. Simply put, VAR is WORSE than refs and linesmen.

VAR is a good idea in principle, but it's a been an absolute dogs dinner in the way it's been implemented.

All they had to do was to make it so that if they thought the ref had missed something, he could review it. Maybe allow 1/2 appeals per game from each team captain.

When there is any doubt, it should benefit the attacking team. It should not be about seeing if an armpit is offside or any other.

If they don't change it to something like this, it's dead in the water and is going to kill the game.

Is it still the case that anfield and old Trafford are the only two grounds in the premier league that can't provide for a pitchside monitor?

Am sure I read prior to the season starting that this was why pitchside monitors could not be used - i.e. not every ground could provide for the option safely.

Is it still the case that anfield and old Trafford are the only two grounds in the premier league that can't provide for a pitchside monitor?

Am sure I read prior to the season starting that this was why pitchside monitors could not be used - i.e. not every ground could provide for the option safely.

Just another excuse to help both of the twats even though they seldom use them .

PL can't achieve it's objectives of helping the rags and dippers if the have to abide by the same rules as non-favoured teams.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.