The English and their English...

bagsy67 said:
eye no wart ewe hour torque king a boat. four king chilled wren thee stays doughnut halve err nadir out two right core rectally. Eye thin kits bee gauze off paw tea chairs
"I know what you are talking about. Fucking children these days do not have an idea how to write correctly. I think it's because of poor teachers."
??????????????

Sultana of Brunei said:
clairepartyring said:
I never know the english way of spelling'' center or centre'' i tend to take it in turns!!
I work for an English company called Computacenter. Surely it should be "Computer Centre". It has pissed me off for 15 years now.
Ha. Know that shower, they got ran from the Carling brewery in Burton when they were caught with 10 years of embezzled proceeds!

without a dream said:
Must be a nightmare to learn English, we have so many different rules and exceptions.

English is actually very easy to learn. One of the easiest languages to learn in the world. The only way to not learn to speak English is if you make an effort not to. All the mainstream movies are in English and so is music. Everything on the internet aswell... English grammar and pronunciation is rather easy aswell compared to lets say Estonian or a language like Russian.

Sultana of Brunei said:
To some extent I agree with the Stephen Fry school of thought in that he believes that the English language is forever evolving as it always has done. However, there is a difference between the evolution of language and the outright bastardisation of it. Some of the spelling, grammar and punctuation I see at work from the younger generation is absolutely shocking.

I also totally accept your point about vocabularies being eroded which seems to be a trend that runs in parallel with the Jafaican accent which seems to be everywhere at the minute. There was some guy from Bolton on the radio the other day talking in that ridiculous Jafaican gangster accent about someone he knew "Ooo always carry a knaaf". The rest of his sentence was in a thick Bolton accent.

its about time you left Macdonalds

it definitely strikes me as odd that the english are so bad at their own language.

i suppose a reason foreigners actually spell better than english people in english, is because its drilled into them. not the case in english education.

then again my own english was absolute pish when i left school, i was an awful speller and sometimes i still get things wrong. but im bilingual and pretty dipsy in general

jimharri said:
"I know what you are talking about. Fucking children these days do not have an idea how to write correctly. I think it's because of poor teachers."
??????????????

thirty chairs our knotting stilling thick erect in four mace shunning cider pew pill zeds

AIQ88 said:
I´m surprised how people who can only speak one language can be so terrible at it. I don´t even know if I should laugh or cry. (How do you know they can only speak one?)

I work in an Irish pub and this girl asked me: "You aren´t Irish now are you ?" (As if it wasn´t obvious enough from my accent). I replied with: "No, but my mate Matt here is dead Irish. He is completely incomprehensible and drinks like fish". Guess what she said;... "What does incomprehensible mean?". How on earth do you not know what incomprehensible means!?!?!?!

Another time a girl asked me what disillusioned meant and said that I should stop using such complicated words.

Then there is the spelling. Half of the people on this forum don´t even know the difference between there, they´re and their. Someone just spelled yesterday 'yesturday'. The 'U' and 'E' keys are nowhere near each other! My girlfriend works for a real estate company and the amount of spelling mistakes in the emails and faxes sent by Brits is not even funny. Some can´t even spell mortgage correctly, let alone words that are more complicated. How can you TYPE!!!! like that when you are trying to do business?

Anyway, this came off as a rant so i'll give this thread a focus.

What do you think is happening to the English language? Is it important that it´s written and spoken correctly or not? Has it always been this bad? Why is this happening and is there anything that can be done to improve the situation?

Oh, and I´m not English myself nor have I ever been to an English speaking country.

Sorry, had to. Anything in bold is what the poster should have put, but was to ignorant and foreign to consider doing so. There are eighteen mistakes if anyone wants to know. And if you are arguing it is the education system that is failing, I would like to point out that I do not have one qualification and can still find Eighteen mistakes in a simple paragraph which you typed. Shame on you.

crizack said:
AIQ88 said:
I´m surprised how people who can only speak one language can be so terrible at it. I don´t even know if I should laugh or cry. (How do you know they can only speak one?)

I work in an Irish pub and this girl asked me: "You aren´t Irish now are you ?" (As if it wasn´t obvious enough from my accent). I replied with: "No, but my mate Matt here is dead Irish. He is completely incomprehensible and drinks like fish". Guess what she said;... "What does incomprehensible mean?". How on earth do you not know what incomprehensible means!?!?!?!

Another time a girl asked me what disillusioned meant and said that I should stop using such complicated words.

Then there is the spelling. Half of the people on this forum don´t even know the difference between there, they´re and their. Someone just spelled yesterday 'yesturday'. The 'U' and 'E' keys are nowhere near each other! My girlfriend works for a real estate company and the amount of spelling mistakes in the emails and faxes sent by Brits is not even funny. Some can´t even spell mortgage correctly, let alone words that are more complicated. How can you TYPE!!!! like that when you are trying to do business?

Anyway, this came off as a rant so i'll give this thread a focus.

What do you think is happening to the English language? Is it important that it´s written and spoken correctly or not? Has it always been this bad? Why is this happening and is there anything that can be done to improve the situation?

Oh, and I´m not English myself nor have I ever been to an English speaking country.

Sorry, had to. Anything in bold is what the poster should have put, but was to ignorant and foreign to consider doing so. There are eighteen mistakes if anyone wants to know. And if you are arguing it is the education system that is failing, I would like to point out that I do not have one qualification and can still find Eighteen mistakes in a simple paragraph which you typed. Shame on you.

Oh the iron knee

crizack said:
Sorry, had to. Anything in bold is what the poster should have put, but was too ignorant and foreign to consider doing so. There are eighteen mistakes if anyone wants to know. And if you are arguing it is the education system that is failing, I would like to point out that I do not have one qualification and can still find Eighteen mistakes in a simple paragraph which you typed. Shame on you.

:P

And yeah you did get me with the punctuation errors as they are more or less the same in my own language. I guess I´ll pay more attention to that then. For the rest I have the excuse of not being a native speaker and never even living in a country where English is the language used.

Now what if you looked through any thread in the entire forum :D

Oh and it was write not type as some people actually sent horribly handwritten letters by fax :D:D

Care to explain why it was wrong to use the word "spelled" instead of "written"? It´s difficult for me to understand because in Estonian there is only one word for both of those meanings in that situation if that makes any sense.

By the way doesn´t it prove my point that all these people read my post without noticing those mistakes. :P

AIQ88 said:
By the way doesn´t it prove my point that all these people read my post without noticing those mistakes. :P

No it doesn't. When you read, and you don't concentrate on the spelling of the words, your brain reads the words correctly, even if they are spelled incorrectly. Assuming they sound the same in your brain. Of course it depends on the word.
Also for yesterday's incorrect spelling as "yesturday" , you never know what the person was thinking. He may have been thinking for another word that had a 'u' and his fingers just pressed it now. Silly mistakes like that are sometimes due to the lack of time it takes for you to type and for your brain to think. Haven't you sometimes missed words when you try to type fast? I've done it a lot, and that's why i proof read almost everything i write. To prove my point, when i was proof reading this, i found that instead of typing "thinking for another..." i had "taking for another..." i obviously meant thinking but it came out as taking.

I agree on everything else.
Go ahead and mark me on my spelling. Tell me if i get an A :).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.