The Greatest Debut Album Of All Time... (as voted by Mad Eyed Screamer)

Agree.

Zep's debut was outstanding but they made a host of albums that were better, including the greatest album ever made: Physical Graffiti.
I play that album everyday. For years I've tried to tell my friends that LZ was also a Viking funk band, i.e. Custard Pie, The Rover, and Trampled Underfoot.... but they don't believe me!

I always love these topics since I'm 50 -- there's inevitably music from younger folks I will find mentioned that I've not heard, will listen to, and then really like. Maybe you'll find some here, though some of this is pretty mainstream.

I went through my several hundred albums list and came up with this -- these are albums where I think the band's best (or, in some cases, only good) album is their debut:

Sex Pistols -- Never Mind the Bollocks
Gang of Four -- Entertainment! (still pretty much my favorite record of all time)
Wire -- Pink Flag
The Ramones
Liz Phair -- Exile in Guyville
The Screaming Blue Messiahs -- Gun Shy
Sugar -- Copper Blue
The Stone Roses
Archers of Loaf -- Icky Mettle (most underrated band of the 90s IMO)
The Tubes
The Strokes -- Is This It
Weezer (the blue one)

Honorable Mention
The Dead Kennedys -- Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
Van Halen (tough one -- I might be the only person in the world who might like Van Halen II better)

These are other debuts I think are pretty good but these bands have better albums that came later IMO:

The Clash
Steely Dan -- Can't Buy a Thrill
REM -- Murmur (although the EP Chronic Town was technically before it and I like that even better)
The Psychedelic Furs
The Police -- Outlandos D'Amour
Foo Fighters

I know people who prefer VH II to I so you aren't alone. Too close to call for me but my favourite VH album is actually Women & Children First but I think VH's first four albums are the best opening quartet of any band / artist; just ahead of Zep who then pull ahead on the first 5 and 6 albums.

MI0003316714.jpg

COVER-FRONT.jpeg

The_Velvet_Underground_and_Nico_back_cover.jpg

Scales sound nice to us because they are mathematical functions, thus we can easily detect a bad note when we hear it as it doesn't follow the function sequence.

Sort of how we objectively find 2468 more pleasurable a sequence than 2965, its about fulfilling of expectation

Pythagoras was the man who was really into the link between music and maths, more so than his famous triangle equation

He was fucking bobbins on the drums though.

Definitely, Maybe. Come on Bluemoon for f*ck sake. Rock n' Roll star, shakermaker, Live Forever, Sliiiiiiiiiiide Away. This album rescued music away from all the pop and grunge shite at the time.

Shakermaker is absolutely wank. It's like a fucking nursery rhyme and the drums on Live Forever are laughably bad.

The other 2 I'll have though mate ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.