The Lake District ... stunning !!

I don't like the roads, as they're narrow and so difficult to navigate. We crossed the lake from Windermere on a chain ferry and the subsequent road to Hawkshead and Esthwaite was nothing short of a piss take.

Nice scenery but you cant get to see it, as your glued to the road in some touristy attempt to stay alive. They all take enough money for their overpriced brews, parking and Kendal mint cake, so why not use those profits to widen them. I think they do it to be trendy whereas the wife thinks they do it to deter visitor numbers.

Favourite place in all the lakes (next to Bowness) is Coniston water and that nice walk through the Grizdale forest with its all wooden animal art.

Last edited:
I don't like the roads, are they're narrow and ever so difficult to navigate. Crossed the ferry from Windermere on a chain ferry and the subsequent road to Hawkshead and Esthwaite was nothing short of a piss take.

Nice scenery but you cant get to see it as you’re so glued to the road in some touristy attempt to stay alive. They all take enough money for their overpriced brews, parking and Kendal mint cake, so why use those profits to widen them. I think they do it to be trendy whereas the wife thinks they do it to deter visitor numbers.
That’s the spirit. A motorway from Kendal to Whitehaven should sort it. Maybe with a services at Scafell Pike.

Love the Lakes. Just been watching the Simon Reeve tv show on it. Like his travel
Shows. We usually stay at the Lakeside hotel which is nice and relaxing and then just drive out or get the boat.

Got up ready to go to Windermere this morning for a couple of days sailing, I go online to book train and it seems all trains out of Windermere tomorrow are cancelled. If there are any at all they will be rammed, so cancelled the trip and sat here reading bluemoon with a brew and enjoying this old thread resurrected. I would say to people go where you feel it will be best and most convienient to you as some places are difficult to get to if you have any issues. Ignore the snobs who put down popular places, because its your money, your time, and your enjoyment. Popular places are popular for a reason and we are lucky to have the Lake District within easy reach. So if Bowness or Windermere is where you want to go then go there you will find many like minded people there enjoying a bustling town and dodging the showers. Which after all is why there are so many lakes to visit. Enjoy yourself in one of our northern treasures.

I vaguely remember camping at Braithwaite back in 1974 when i was around 7. My dad had us walking up mountains, through forests and wading through rivers. I'd like to go back there now. People from Norfolk can't even begin to imagine what those mountains are like.

I vaguely remember camping at Braithwaite back in 1974 when i was around 7. My dad had us walking up mountains, through forests and wading through rivers. I'd like to go back there now. People from Norfolk can't even begin to imagine what those mountains are like.
Day and Night the Lake District and Norfolk - two extremes of topography!

I like the Lake district but its far to busy, I usually Make the effort to get to the Gallway forest park, just as beautiful but a lot less people.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.