The League Cup.

The Stockport Iniesta

Isn't it time this competition was consigned to the past?

The attendances are really dire until the latter stages.

Nearly all Premiership clubs play weakened teams.

The FA Cup is the important Cup, and only having one domestic cup would go some way to making the FA Cup what it used to be in terms of prestige.

I really don't see the point of this devalued competition any longer. If it needs to be kept for solely financial reasons for the smaller clubs then keep it for the football league teams only.

Murph said:
Isn't it time this competition was consigned to the past?

The attendances are really dire until the latter stages.

Nearly all Premiership clubs play weakened teams.

The FA Cup is the important Cup, and only having one domestic cup would go some way to making the FA Cup what it used to be in terms of prestige.

I really don't see the point of this devalued competition any longer. If it needs to be kept for solely financial reasons for the smaller clubs then keep it for the football league teams only.

You don't think keeping it solely to football league teams would devalue it even further? They already have a trophy for teams in league 1 and below as well. Also championship teams end up playing much more matches than the premier league teams so by removing the premier league teams it would make it a completely pointless cup with rubbish attendances.

The Johnstones paint trophy should be scrapped and the league cup should exclude premiership teams.... or atleast Cap the prem clubs so we can only field under 21's.

One of 'em has to go anyway, would be good for the prem clubs to field youngsters aswell, even in the latter stages.

Stevie B said:
The Johnstones paint trophy should be scrapped and the league cup should exclude premiership teams.... or atleast Cap the prem clubs so we can only field under 21's.

One of 'em has to go anyway, would be good for the prem clubs to field youngsters aswell, even in the latter stages.

Good idea, but even that puts Prem teams at a huge disadvantage. I wouldn't expect the Under-21s of a team like Swansea to beat Conference teams, let alone Championship. For the lower Prem teams, the League Cup is an opportunity to win silverware, and restricting them to field poor teams isn't fair. Keep it as it is. The bigger teams will field weaker teams, and if we win a trophy out of it, then that's nice.

I'd love to win the league cup its silverware and the sudden snobbery of this board is beyond me.

de niro said:
we have to keep it, its the best practice that fringe and junior squad members get.
Agreed. It's a trophy where we can play our second team, Wenger has been excellent at this in the past. I remember the season he made the final and stuck with the team that had got them there. It's a great chance for us to blood people like Razak and others in the EDS.

Also, it wasn't a useless trophy last season when we got put out by West Brom. Christ, there were people on here wanting to hang Mancini.

malg said:
de niro said:
we have to keep it, its the best practice that fringe and junior squad members get.
Agreed. It's a trophy where we can play our second team, Wenger has been excellent at this in the past. I remember the season he made the final and stuck with the team that had got them there. It's a great chance for us to blood people like Razak and others in the EDS.

Also, it wasn't a useless trophy last season when we got put out by West Brom. Christ, there were people on here wanting to hang Mancini.

not sure we wanted to hang him:)
two things i remember about that game.
1, bearing in mind we were no where near the fa cup at that point we saw a chance of a trophy gone.
2, we should have been warned we were to play such a young/poor side before spending our time and money traisping down there for a midweek game to which we threw in the towel.

we finished work early and due to some terrible and very dangerous weather got home very late, then of course up for work next day.

it was a shit trick by mancini and he was rightly criticized for it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.