The Maths Thread

One minute to think of this solution. I must be a genius.

Note - not to scale.
d4592b756d769ebd554eddcbc15e01d7.jpg

View attachment 115691
Is that allowed? (oh read the question wrong, flip the shading/unshading)
That's what I initially thought of. But then I thought... how would I actually go about accurately shading the perimeter of the inner square? Which led me to think about, perhaps folding the larger square in half or perhaps along the diagonals to assist in shading... Hmm... Which then led me to think about each of the 4 sub-squares. How do I go about shading exactly the right amount of each of them... hang on, the right amount is 1/2! And bingo!

That's what I initially thought of. But then I thought... how would I actually go about accurately shading the perimeter of the inner square? Which led me to think about, perhaps folding the larger square in half or perhaps along the diagonals to assist in shading... Hmm... Which then led me to think about each of the 4 sub-squares. How do I go about shading exactly the right amount of each of them... hang on, the right amount is 1/2! And bingo!
Genius.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.