The official EDS and academy thread 2011/12

LoveCity said:
Tevez City said:
Andouble said:
who's this Marco Lopez that scored both goals this morning? Is he new to the club? Rated?

I read somewhere that he is in Austria with the squad as a Barry's replacement !

Yup he is, aged 16. Shows what a talent he is.

Is he also known as Ronny? signed him from Benfica or somewhere mid-way through last season

Yeah he is Ronny, he signed for us after he turned 16 in December, joined in the January window I think. One of many prodigious youths at the club, unfortunately the most hyped ones seem to be foreign (Hiwula being an exception) but some of the 18s are technically good and could surprise yet. Seeing the U15s recently has given me optimism that we can produce high quality English kids in the future as the standards will only get better.

LoveCity said:
Yeah he is Ronny, he signed for us after he turned 16 in December, joined in the January window I think. One of many prodigious youths at the club, unfortunately the most hyped ones seem to be foreign (Hiwula being an exception) but some of the 18s are technically good and could surprise yet. Seeing the U15s recently has given me optimism that we can produce high quality English kids in the future as the standards will only get better.
Seems most of our special talent is foreign but I'm sure players like Ronny, Rekik, Suarez will beauty the club for over two years so therefore they are classed as homegrown. Is this ithe case or am I imagining this rule?

Jake The Muss said:
LoveCity said:
Seems most of our special talent is foreign but I'm sure players like Ronny, Rekik, Suarez will beauty the club for over two years so therefore they are classed as homegrown. Is this ithe case or am I imagining this rule?

Nope, foreign lads who play in England for I believe 2 years before their 18th birthday can be classified as homegrown, like Clichy is. All these will be if they stay and make the first team once they are 21. Next year we can register Guidetti as homegrown if he stays for example. But still it would be nice on a sentimental level for us to produce some top English youngsters, it's been far too long really.

LoveCity said:
Jake The Muss said:
LoveCity said:

Nope, foreign lads who play in England for I believe 2 years before their 18th birthday can be classified as homegrown, like Clichy is. All these will be if they stay and make the first team once they are 21. Next year we can register Guidetti as homegrown if he stays for example. But still it would be nice on a sentimental level for us to produce some top English youngsters, it's been far too long really.
Isn't it 3 years in our academy under the age of 21 to qualify as homegrown & academy trained - I think Joe Hart just fails as he joined us at 19?

For homegrown I'm pretty sure it's only 3 years under the age of 21 at any english club.

Just checked, Clichy is 26 and joined Arsenal in 2003, making him 17 when he joined Arsenal.

Just seen this on the OS.

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Academy-news/2012/July/Scholars-signing-evening

Platt Lane graduates sign their first City contracts over dinner at the Etihad Stadium.

The day the first professional contract is signed is the one that most ex-professionals cite as the proudest of their careers and for a group of Academy players, that day finally came on Friday, an event which was marked with a ceremony that took place at the Etihad Stadium.

The Premier League trophy was present for the event which took place in the Commonwealth Suite of the stadium. All the players enjoyed a meal before they signed their contracts individually with their parents and Head of Academy Mark Allen looking on.

Allen described this batch of players as “history makers”.

“I told them at the dinner that this is an iconic moment; these are the first players to sign scholarships with Manchester City as Premier League Champions and they will always remember that.”

Angus Gunn, James Hardy, James Horsfield, Marco Lopes, Dominic McHale, Billy O’Brien, Jose Angel Pozo, Liam Sharpe and Ashley Smith-Brown all signed on as first-year scholars.

These players are now eligible to play at all relevant levels and will take their places in the reckoning for Adam Sadler’s under-18s side for the 2012/13 season. The fixtures will be released for the upcoming season on 16 July.

Goalkeeper Angus Gunn, son of Norwich City legend Bryan Gunn, has already represented England at youth level in the Victory Shield and he has stated his intention to challenge for a place in the Elite Development Squad as they prepare for their second NextGen Series campaign.

“It was really exciting to sign and it was a really good night - to share that experience with my teammates and with my family was special.

“I’ve been with the Academy for a year now and for the past season I’ve been playing a year up which has been a good experience and next season my target is to break into the u21s and play in the NextGen Series, to play against top European clubs.”

For the under-16s, a huge season both on and off the field kicks off with pre-season training at Platt Lane on Monday as the Academy wheel begins another season-long rotation.

These are the group of players that will hope to emulate the likes of Angus Gunn with scholarships at the end of the coming season while also facing an important year academically, with their GCSEs coming up in the summer.

We’ll be following both age-groups throughout the season at this critical moment in their developments.

Chris Bailey singing Lopes' praises:

In one capacity or another I have now worked alongside six Manchester City managers and their coaches.

Every one of them has expressed the belief that Summer is time for what some football folk call a ‘springer’.

That is to say a young player who grows up quickly, both physically and mentally, and suddenly pushes his way into the manager’s thinking and planning.

There a host of young Blues out here in Austria this summer and one in particular has caught the eye.

Maybe it is because at 16-years-old he is the baby of the bunch, but Marcos Lopes has got players and staff nodding knowingly in each other’s direction.

Of course he is still a long way from the finished article and the power and pace and cut and thrust of the Premier League may be a step too far right now but the teenaged Portuguese midfielder has set down a marker.

So much so that coach David Platt was happy to talk to about the young man whose chance to be part of the pre-season trip only came around because Gareth Barry has had an abdominal operation from which he is now home and recovering.

"We have not brought Marcos out just to make the numbers up but because everything we have seen and be told from within the club suggested he could cope at this level," Platt told me.

"He has had a couple of days on the training pitch and he has coped well - though at 16 we would not push him along in the same way as we push the seniors along."

"Marcos is an attacking midfielder with a strong left foot. We have our eye on the ball with him and he has impressed the other players. He is comfortable on the ball he doesn’t look 16.

"The boy has taken well to the work and he wouldn't be at our club now if we didn’t think there is the opportunity for him to develop into a first team player and to do that here at City you have to be talented. But we will take it slowly with him.”

Nicknamed Ronny, Lopes was signed from Benfica in 2011, and can play left wing, central attacking midfield and second striker.

Ordinarily he would still be at the Academy where boss Mark Allen is another admirer.

"Marcos has a great opportunity now to train with some of the world’s best players," he pointed out.

"He's there for experience and the coaching staff there will ascertain what kind of role he plays but I’m positive that it will be invaluable for his development.

"Everybody realises that Marco is a talent and his progress is being monitored very closely - he’s just 16 so it’s great for him to be involved with the first team at such a young age."

George Evans flying out to Austria today to join up with teh first team squad.

Great news... If any of the UK lads are going to make it into the first team in the next couple of years it's this lad... great on the ball, and a decent athlete to match!

Having watched the U16's & 18's quite a lot over the past few years I was really dissappointed that he wasnt included this year, but it appears there is hope yet!

... just got be wondering... is this to replace somebody injured or being sold that we dont know about yet!?

bluezippy said:
George Evans flying out to Austria today to join up with teh first team squad.

Great news... If any of the UK lads are going to make it into the first team in the next couple of years it's this lad... great on the ball, and a decent athlete to match!

Having watched the U16's & 18's quite a lot over the past few years I was really dissappointed that he wasnt included this year, but it appears there is hope yet!

... just got be wondering... is this to replace somebody injured or being sold that we dont know about yet!?
Haven´t heard of any injuries. Delighted for Evans, good luck to him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.