The REAL unthinkable issue

mayo31 said:
AlgarveBlu said:
When reading the post earlier on 'what if the unthinkable happens' I assumed it was about the issue that Gary Neville raised after the match yesterday about FFP and his talk of 'not wanting to see the owners leave City and us sliding back to league 1'...

Sent a shiver down my spine to be honest and I know from the position we are in now the idea seems ludicrous, but is it any more ludicrous than someone saying in 2008 that we would go on to win two PL titles in the next 6 years?

We have to go back to why ADUG bought into City and look at the core reasons and it was not in my opinion as a direct financial investment that would yield profits alone from our club but it was to put Abu Dhabi on the global map and indirectly yield benefits by raising the country's global profile with a fairly consistent winning team- They know they can't rely upon oil revenues forever.

If FFP cuts off our arms and legs and we end up being an 'also ran' club as the others can compete for the likes of Bale at al, does the project backfire on them and they look for a way to extrapolate themselves from the City project?

The Chimps league does not even register on the scale of sleepless nights compared to this...I do think that they would never leave City without the house being in good order though and not debt ridden like United as that is a legacy that from a PR point of view would damage them significantly...

I would go back indoors or put a sun hat on as it seems the sun has gone to your head.

It's not entirely ludicrous. They've invested so much, it's very hard to see that happening any time soon (although one day, it probably will).
But with ANY project, it doesn't matter what you've spent, if the cost of going forward exceeds the cost of pulling out, then a decision is made.

I am 100% sure City would go to court of FFP well before that situation arose, and I think we've grown enough as a business not to actually be too worried about FFP even if it doesn't go away. We scraped into the elite just in time.... and only just, but we're in now. It's the clubs after us that have the impossible mountain to climb.

Wasn't FFP brought in (along with the fit and proper persons test) brought in to protect against this happening?

Shows just how ineffective and misguided it is perceived to be, that it doesn't ever get discussed in the context of improving sustainability or protecting vulnerable clubs like it is supposedly intended for.

Sheikh Mansour/ADUG/Abu Dhabi did not buy the club for any kind of financial gain. It is a vehicle to promote Etihad and Abu Dhabi and also to push the name that they do what they want in any industry be it sport, hospitatlity or anything, see F1 and the CFA for examples.

We are going through a bad spell and I wont be surprised to see us go out this summer and seriously blow the market apart, Sheikh Mansour wont like losing face and he will not accept another season like this. Fortunately he is not a trigger happy owner and so allows people who are more experienced and qualified to act in the proper way.

I read something on here a while ago which was reporting Sheikh Mansour had invested in a nightclub in Las Vegas and bought all the top DJ's, bar staff and everything else. Rumours were he didn't get a table he wanted at another club so he just built one.

Sheikh Mansour will not be pulling out of City, he loses "face". If I was in his position, especially considering he is royalty. Spending another few hundred million would be more than worth it.

BigOscar said:
karen7 said:
AlgarveBlu said:
I agree and I'm not in the habit of starting these but it was discussed by Neville and Quinn after the game for about 5 minutes and they seem to be held in great esteem by most here - well Neville anyway. Would I have posted it had we won probably not but then it wouldn't have been raised on national tv - as mentioned ii an earlier post quite happy for you to close the thread down

Neville wants it to happen,did he say the same thing about the rags owners last year,no he didn't.Starting this thread on the back of a rags comments is ridiculous
Exactly. He's really showing his true colours now we are starting to struggle. I've no idea why so many blues bought into his shite, him calling for Demichelis to be booked for being elbowed in the face by Fellaini pretty much sums him up.

The vitriolic ratface showed his true colors when he advised ("showe his left leg" )our opponents how to stop our icon Aguero from scoring.
Its beyond my ken why some of City's fans here swallowed his bile hook line & sinker since he became a red football pundit.

FanchesterCity said:
AlgarveBlu said:
karen7 said:
Neville wants it to happen,did he say the same thing about the rags owners last year,no he didn't.Starting this thread on the back of a rags comments is ridiculous

To be fair K7 ,he did say FPP was a joke and it was stupid that it's unintentional (supposed I know) consequence was impacting us...he even tried to offer a solution to the problem which sounded reasonable to me in terms of issuing a bond that guaranteed any outstanding debt. It was Quinny who slapped him down Neville suggested City takes on 'FFP' -

Anyway let's just conclude that he is a duplicitous twat with an agenda - that should keep us all happy...

Neville's comments after the match were fine. He might not have all the nuances of FFP issues, but he spoke as most fans would... and I agree with him. FFP's not doing what it set out to do, instead it's stopping 'dreams' like City from happening. I'm not as convinced it needs to be City challenging FFP because that means us putting our heads on the block, in what would be mostly for other people's benefit now we are on the right side of FFP.
Putting our sky blue specs to one side though, even if FFP might help to protect us in the future by stopping other clubs following our path, we should be against it.

You'll be flogged for a post like that pal and hauled in front of the BM disciplinary council ;-) I agree with your sentiments and the acid test will be this summer obviously as to whether we will stick it to them...

CTID101 said:
Sheikh Mansour/ADUG/Abu Dhabi did not buy the club for any kind of financial gain. It is a vehicle to promote Etihad and Abu Dhabi and also to push the name that they do what they want in any industry be it sport, hospitatlity or anything, see F1 and the CFA for examples.

We are going through a bad spell and I wont be surprised to see us go out this summer and seriously blow the market apart, Sheikh Mansour wont like losing face and he will not accept another season like this. Fortunately he is not a trigger happy owner and so allows people who are more experienced and qualified to act in the proper way.

I read something on here a while ago which was reporting Sheikh Mansour had invested in a nightclub in Las Vegas and bought all the top DJ's, bar staff and everything else. Rumours were he didn't get a table he wanted at another club so he just built one.

Sheikh Mansour will not be pulling out of City, he loses "face". If I was in his position, especially considering he is royalty. Spending another few hundred million would be more than worth it.

I disagree... it's always been for financial gain. Just not directly through the club. The whole point of promoting Abu Dhabi, and changing perception about their business acumen is ultimately.... about making money just in other areas.

AlgarveBlu said:
Sleeping_Easy said:
AlgarveBlu said:
When reading the post earlier on 'what if the unthinkable happens' I assumed it was about the issue that Gary Neville raised after the match yesterday about FFP and his talk of 'not wanting to see the owners leave City and us sliding back to league 1'...

Sent a shiver down my spine to be honest and I know from the position we are in now the idea seems ludicrous, but is it any more ludicrous than someone saying in 2008 that we would go on to win two PL titles in the next 6 years?

We have to go back to why ADUG bought into City and look at the core reasons and it was not in my opinion as a direct financial investment that would yield profits alone from our club but it was to put Abu Dhabi on the global map and indirectly yield benefits by raising the country's global profile with a fairly consistent winning team- They know they can't rely upon oil revenues forever.

If FFP cuts off our arms and legs and we end up being an 'also ran' club as the others can compete for the likes of Bale at al, does the project backfire on them and they look for a way to extrapolate themselves from the City project?

The Chimps league does not even register on the scale of sleepless nights compared to this...I do think that they would never leave City without the house being in good order though and not debt ridden like United as that is a legacy that from a PR point of view would damage them significantly...

Grow up

ok will do and hopefully will be able to reach the giddy heights of intellect you posses.

Apologies a day of texts and phone calls from rags has left my patience in short supply.

I see where your coming from but hopefully the owners have a lot more foresight then to expect to walk into football and in win everything without a few hiccups.

'Honour' is an old-fashioned concept, and many people no longer know what it means.

For the Sheikh, and people like him, it's still a living reality. He will not dump City and leave us in the shit. He would not be able to look at himself in the mirror if he did. If he ever decides to sell on, it will be at a time when we have won everything, built everything, and there is no longer a fresh challenge.

I have doubts about almost everyone at City, but I don't doubt Sheikh Mansour for an instant. He will do us proud. He is that kind of man.

BrianW said:
'Honour' is an old-fashioned concept, and many people no longer know what it means.

For the Sheikh, and people like him, it's still a living reality. He will not dump City and leave us in the shit. He would not be able to look at himself in the mirror if he did. If he ever decides to sell on, it will be at a time when we have won everything, built everything, and there is no longer a fresh challenge.

I have doubts about almost everyone at City, but I don't doubt Sheikh Mansour for an instant. He will do us proud. He is that kind of man.

I don't know the man personally, I've no idea what sort of moral compass he has. Just because he's our owner, I'd not like to take much for granted.
All I can say so far though is that he's turned City in a credible club, and has been good to his word so far. I expected it to be difficult to compete with the big boys, and it's proving to be so, but we're still ahead of schedule compared to my own guess 5 years ago.

These last few weeks have been the worst for a while, but it was never going to be plain sailing was it?

Progress report so far: 'encountered turbulence, and facing a head wind, but ahead of schedule so far'.

BrianW said:

clap clap clap

were having a shit season, we have the nucleus of a top squad a few additions in the summer and we will be off again , the stadium , the academy ,the whole package and people are doubting it all because of the derby defeat ,its not about this season its about our entire future and our future is still blindingly bright

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.