This forum

I started a thread the other day about the derby. It was shut down after about 8 replies because "we have another game before that one". I'm not sure of the motivation behind the way the main forum is run these days, but this kind of moderation will force people to go elsewhere eventually - the Derby is less than a week away & people want to talk about it.

Similarly the constant merging of threads into loose player/topic categories means that many angles on certain events are lost into the ether.

This thread will probably be shut down, but this is not meant to criticise, just wanted to start a meaningful discussion about it.

I couldn't agree more with that. I think so many things are missed these days. An example of the top of my head I can give is that Klopp referred to James Milner as the 'complete player' the other today. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned on this forum? If people didn't know klopp had said that would they think to click on the 'Liverpool FC' thread just in case they'd missed something? Now if there was a thread on it's own saying 'Klopp says "James Milner is the complete player" it would have gone off, we could have had great fun. As it is has that even been mentioned!? I know that isn't the most mature example but it's all i can be arsed to think of currently.

I just think thing the merging into the single threads looks very neat and tidy but it's all very sterile and so many things are missed. As you say there are so many angles on events and even on a single player or person, but if people try to make a decent point in a single thread there are other people debating different angles of it and it's so easily missed. I just feel a lot of the debates have been taken away these days. There's no real focal point to a lot of them and they just drift along a lot of the time

Take the pre match threads for example - they drift along a bit. Any proper debate is just going to get lost in people regurgitating starting line ups, but if someone comes on and starts a thread and says "we need to play 3 in central midfield vs united" then that gives you a focal point and sparks debate. As it i that isn't possible because it will be merged into the pre match thread and lost within a page or 2. And if someone starts a thread whcih is clealry bullshit i.e "we should play 1 at the back against united" there will be a bit of piss taking before the thread is left to drop down the pages, whilst the better one about a particular, reasonable/arguable view on tactics will gather the pages because it gives people something to debate.

Has the amount of posts made on the forum decreased in recent times since so many threads are merged!? To me it feels as though it has considerably, but maybe that's just my own personal perspective. I am not talking about users on the forum here but actual posts

I like the 'referee' analogy. A moderators job is one of those where you're expected to make sensible choices (or decisions) in good time, however you will never be able to please everyone all of the time. Somebody has to take the bull by the horns, and that is what the mods do. We contribute idly without having that burden placed upon us. One thing that makes the moderator's task easier is for people to put forward suggestions in the right way and in good time. This forum hasn't been kept alive and grown by things being done the wrong way. Long may it continue. It's up to us to make it better so it will progress.

I like the 'referee' analogy. A moderators job is one of those where you're expected to make sensible choices (or decisions) in good time, however you will never be able to please everyone all of the time. Somebody has to take the bull by the horns, and that is what the mods do. We contribute idly without having that burden placed upon us. One thing that makes the moderator's task easier is for people to put forward suggestions in the right way and in good time. This forum hasn't been kept alive and grown by things being done the wrong way. Long may it continue. It's up to us to make it better so it will progress.
Very good post (as a moderator, I would say that though wouldn't I).

As a poster, I don't think its really any different now to how it was 10 years ago, its just massively (sic) bigger, and as such it needed more organisation, much of it suggested by users in the first place. Those that complain are small in number, usually have had their post moved/merged, or have caused a fuss, whilst the many rarely complain, and are happy. We make mistakes, everyone does, but generally any mistakes (the derby thread being an example) were done with the best intentions.

I can see it from both points of view. As TFeH says, you can start a potentially interesting thread about Klopp's Milner comment only to have it merged & swallowed up by the Liverpool thread. That's fair comment.

But I suspect, like me, most people mainly use the 'New Posts' option so will really only see the 30 threads currently most active. Very occasionally I'll venture onto the 2nd page and really only beyond that if I'm looking for something specific. So you can start an interesting thread, get a couple of replies yet the thread gets lost in a welter of "How many times have you had a piss today" type-threads. I really don't know what the answer is but whatever we do will find fault with some.

I really don't know what the answer is but whatever we do will find fault with some.
Don't use 'New posts', click on the blue dot on threads you're interested in.

I stick with the football related forums, and I'm not really that interested in the "how many times..." type of threads in off topic, so I'll go in there, and see if there is anything interesting (usually disappointed).

I couldn't agree more with that. I think so many things are missed these days. An example of the top of my head I can give is that Klopp referred to James Milner as the 'complete player' the other today. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned on this forum? If people didn't know klopp had said that would they think to click on the 'Liverpool FC' thread just in case they'd missed something? Now if there was a thread on it's own saying 'Klopp says "James Milner is the complete player" it would have gone off, we could have had great fun. As it is has that even been mentioned!? I know that isn't the most mature example but it's all i can be arsed to think of currently.

I just think thing the merging into the single threads looks very neat and tidy but it's all very sterile and so many things are missed. As you say there are so many angles on events and even on a single player or person, but if people try to make a decent point in a single thread there are other people debating different angles of it and it's so easily missed. I just feel a lot of the debates have been taken away these days. There's no real focal point to a lot of them and they just drift along a lot of the time

Take the pre match threads for example - they drift along a bit. Any proper debate is just going to get lost in people regurgitating starting line ups, but if someone comes on and starts a thread and says "we need to play 3 in central midfield vs united" then that gives you a focal point and sparks debate. As it i that isn't possible because it will be merged into the pre match thread and lost within a page or 2. And if someone starts a thread whcih is clealry bullshit i.e "we should play 1 at the back against united" there will be a bit of piss taking before the thread is left to drop down the pages, whilst the better one about a particular, reasonable/arguable view on tactics will gather the pages because it gives people something to debate.

Has the amount of posts made on the forum decreased in recent times since so many threads are merged!? To me it feels as though it has considerably, but maybe that's just my own personal perspective. I am not talking about users on the forum here but actual posts
But most people are happy with the way it is, we started merging threads and having club and player threads because one of the biggest causes of complaint was the amount of threads, go to any other large forum and you will see it's the same set up, otherwise it just becomes chaotic

As a person of leisure I use the 'unread posts' button which brings up all the threads I've not read.
From that I go to 'off topic' and press 'mark all forums read', which shows some illuminating things.
Before doing that there might be 47 unread threads, but after clearing out off topic it will go down to the high 20s. More than a third of the board is 'off topic' which is why people are finding it difficult to find latest football topics to discuss.
There's a lot of non football clutter that takes up a significant part of the first page.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.