This team won't be considered great until...

We're on the cusp of winning the league and the league cup, plus, possibly, the champs' league. Just as we did in 2014. Great teams win several titles. Clough's team were "great". Ferguson had several "great" teams. Paisley, Fagan and Dalglish all managed "great" teams. This current City team have played "great" football. That doesn't make them a "great" team. yet. You seem a little touchy if I might say so. Does any blue care when a rag says etc - you clearly do.
I disagree that any of the Forest teams Clough managed were ‘great’. That’s what made his achievements so great.

It already is to me and that is what counts. I still can't get my head around it after a few years already of us being good. There are standards that the football world in general will apply arbitrarily in an ad hoc fashion. This is much like getting riled up by another persons top ten players or something imo.

We are spectacular and i am sure as i can be we will meet all these impossible markers that will be set again and again. We really are that good!

It already is to me and that is what counts. I still can't get my head around it after a few years already of us being good. There are standards that the football world in general will apply arbitrarily in an ad hoc fashion. This is much like getting riled up by another persons top ten players or something imo.

We are spectacular and i am sure as i can be we will meet all these impossible markers that will be set again and again. We really are that good!
Couldn't agree more

It's all about sensible projections for me. We've won the league 3 times since the takeover and we'll have something like a 70-80% chance of winning every year that Pep stays. The future is blue and let's enjoy every match to the fullest. More glory is on the way :-)

...hell freezes over.

Such things are “decided” by media types, most of whom will,never be in City’s corner, because we just don’t have the media influence needed to get there. One only needs to look at the world of punditry and what passes for football journalism today to know that City will always be tagged with the new money/oil money/bought success label, and the context of the UEFA Club that was trying to keep us out, first with FFP, now with changing the seedlings for the CL, and who knows what is next, will all be lost to the ignorance of faint history.

Those of us who have been playing and watching football know we are watching and experiencing football of the highest quality ever seen on this shores. That is undeniable and the highlight reel of our goals this season will be hours and hours long, because not only will there be so many goals to see, but the build up play for some of the goals has been almost unbelievable.

We are witnessing a team walk away with the League, possibly beating the goals and points records, while playing football that was once the sole purview of the Continentals, and even then only those living in the rarefied air of places like Madrid or Barcelona.

That said, the historical yardsticks will always be placed in our path, even though eras of football are distinctly different and the likes of 20 PL titles may never be seen again because of the financial dominance of one club and one manager. Nobody will be able to take away the greatness of the Ferguson era, but that doesn’t not mean Manchester United will always be great, as evidenced by the last few years and their players, fans and sycophants hanging on to that Ferguson era history for dear life. In Liverpool we see the same thing. In a different era, they had some fantastic players and managers and managed to string together a few trophies of note, most notably 5 European Cups. However, for a club that has failed to win the League in the apremier League era, their pretensions to continued greatness are laughable. Leeds United were once great, too, and look at them!

Many fans of many clubs can remember a time when their team had. Modicum of success, but we seem to be dogged by two local teams that have achieved a history of success...just not for many years! In that time, City has built a club that can compete with anyone, has the best domestic record of any club in the Premier League for the last 7 seasons and is being touted as the best footballing team to ever play in these shores.

For me, today, right now, that is all I care about. I have lived through the history of United and Liverpool’s greatness in British football, but in the last few years, they have been pretensions at best. City are, by far, the best team in Britain for the past 7 years. They have won the most titles, been the best overall team, won multiple domestic cup trophies and have gone furthest in the Champions League in recent years. Regardless, a biased football press will have an excuse for it all and the players that have achieved it (and the fans that have enjoyed it) should not care in the slightest. I know what I have witnessed and the truth of the statistics do not lie...City are the best team in Britain in the modern era of the 2010s.

Win at anfield
Which we will in the chimps league.
Then back to back prem titles.
Then we're GREAT at present were special.
C.T.I.D

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.