Times that we concede: Slow out of the blocks.

The time we should worry about looking at that is 31-40, where we are getting beaten.

I'd prefer to see the stats in either 15 minute slots, or 5 minute slots, as that way you get an idea for each half as 41-50 is a period of 25 minutes with a chat in the middle.
I've thought for a long time (I'm sure many have) that we click into gear when we realise there is a good chance we may lose. We stroll through games, and then we realise it hasn't worked out, so rely on a late goal - been Yaya a few times. That all seems very simplistic, but the stats would back it up.

Also - I'm pretty sure Joe alluded to as much in a post match interview once.

Ta, so we're winning them all but the first 15, why does that not surprise me ?

We need to rework the song "can we play you every week" to something like "can we only play you last 15", we'd have romped the league by now.

Or as we kick off the match "We'll see you in an hour"!

I've thought for a long time (I'm sure many have) that we click into gear when we realise there is a good chance we may lose. We stroll through games, and then we realise it hasn't worked out, so rely on a late goal - been Yaya a few times. That all seems very simplistic, but the stats would back it up.

Also - I'm pretty sure Joe alluded to as much in a post match interview once.
One thing has been noticeable this season for me, has been our scoring in quick batches, I've mentioned this before, in a few games we've been struggling a bit, then bang bang bang, and game over. Just looked it up......

Everton second leg 2 in 6 minutes
Sunderland, 3 in 10 minutes
Monchengladbach, 3 in 6 minutes
Hull, 3 in 7 minutes
Newcastle, 6 in 20 minutes
Watford, 2 in 9 minutes
Chelsea, 2 in 6 minutes

Only in a couple of games (Palace, league and cup home, and Sevilla away) have we scored consistently through a game when scoring 3 or more. Its an odd stat really because it shows that when we turn it on, we really are on it, but that we're not on it long enough, consistently enough, is that a concentration thing too ?

One thing has been noticeable this season for me, has been our scoring in quick batches, I've mentioned this before, in a few games we've been struggling a bit, then bang bang bang, and game over. Just looked it up......

Everton second leg 2 in 6 minutes
Sunderland, 3 in 10 minutes
Monchengladbach, 3 in 6 minutes
Hull, 3 in 7 minutes
Newcastle, 6 in 20 minutes
Watford, 2 in 9 minutes
Chelsea, 2 in 6 minutes

Only in a couple of games (Palace, league and cup home, and Sevilla away) have we scored consistently through a game when scoring 3 or more. Its an odd stat really because it shows that when we turn it on, we really are on it, but that we're not on it long enough, consistently enough, is that a concentration thing too ?
That's really interesting. Goes hand in hand with what I am saying, perhaps. A lot of people have said that when we win games it's because we have the players, rather than the way we set up. Probably a bit harsh on pellegrini, but would those stats back it up. When the players decide to take it into their own hands and turn it on, they really turn it in - but ultimately we aren't set up in a way to ensure we do it across an entire game.

It could also suggest entirely the opposite - we only follow orders for short periods in a game - who knows. Its a really interesting set of stats, though.

Not just early goals but early chances as well.
Palace at home springs to mind. Great save by Joe after about two minutes from a header.
Our opponents definitely target this weakness of our slow start.
Leicester were at us like ferrets in the first two minutes and had all the possession, the first sniff we got was when Ya Ya failed to win a 60/40 ball in his favour and then they went on to score.
West Ham away also - straight at us, all their possession,one of their attackers sprints past one of our midfielders ( now which one would that be , oh yes Ya Ya again), back four chasing back like blue arsed flies, cross, deflection and bingo.
Happens too often.
Wonder if Pellers and Ramon have ever noticed it.
Probably not.

You can pretty much tell 'what City' have turned up after about 2 minutes. As ridiculous as that sounds, you can often get a clear picture as to whether we are up for it or not, after the first few minutes of the game.

I've thought for a while that we seem to concede goals early on, and even more so, just after half time. I haven't done loads of research, or compared this to other clubs, but it has got me wondering why we 'come out of the blocks' so slowly. We concede 10% of our goals in the first 10 mins (maybe not as glaring as I thought), but 25% between 40 -60 mins (granted, some of these will be just before half time).

What is, or isn't said to us in the changing room - particularly at half time. The way we started both halves against Leicester was a disgrace. And whilst we ended up dominating the 1st half, we got worse in the 2nd. Is it a lack of motivation by the manager - I don't know. It does seem like the opposition is much more ready for us, than we are for them. I'm not necessarily talking about the lack of preparation as referenced in another thread, but more a lack of motivation that is causing us to start so sluggishly.

A few examples of goals conceded:

Leicester: 3, 48, 60 - 2 goals 3 minutes into each half
West Ham: 1, 56
Watford: 55
Stoke: 7, (15)
Southampton: 49
Liverpool: 7
West Ham (h): 6

Some are less relevant, and more into the game (Stoke's second for example) but there is a pattern of goals being scored early into the halves against us.
Mate, the stats don't support any kind of theory here, I'm afraid. You're saying we concede 25% of our goals between 40 and 60 minutes. That is a 20 minute window, or in other words, 22.2% of a football match. Hardly unusual to concede 25% of goals within 22% of a match. Pretty standard that. And "10% within the first 10 minutes"... again, that's 10% within 11% of the match. Another entirely normal statistic...

Guess what... with the leftover stats, we can say we concede 65% of our goals between 11-39 and 61-90 minutes. Or... 65% of goals within 67% of the match. "Eez a normal", as Mancini would say.

Last edited:
Mate, the stats don't support any kind of theory here, I'm afraid. You're saying we concede 25% of our goals between 40 and 60 minutes. That is a 20 minute window, or in other words, 22.2% of a football match. Hardly unusual to concede 25% of goals within 22% of a match. Pretty standard that. And "10% within the first 10 minutes"... again, that's 10% within 11% of the match. Another entirely normal statistic...

Guess what... with the leftover stats, we can say we concede 65% of our goals between 11-39 and 61-90 minutes. Or... 65% of goals within 67% of the match. "Eez a normal", as Mancini would say.
Ha Ha, there's lies, damned lies and then there's statistics.
Maybe a better comparison would be to compare when goals are scored in all football games and compare this to when we concede.
But hey what the hell we know from watching we are slow out of the blocks!

Last edited:
I'm interested in what other clubs (in the league) stats are like in relation to this, and then comparing them to ours.
if they are significantly different then it will be relevant but I haven't seen our league table rivals stats in relation to this (yet).

Team mentality goes a long long way in sport and I just don't see it amongst us in large parts of play.
In the Everton LC Leg 2 match I witnessed a winning mentality and a collective mind set but it was noticeable simply because it hasn't been ever present throughout this season.

Why not?

I put it down to too many individuals amongst the group. it's pointless in naming them, they will be identified by the likes of Pep and his backroom staff who are far far more qualified than I'll ever be in producing a team ethic... And they'll be either shipped out or given a kick up the ass.

Read what I said in my initial post. I said that some are irrelevant, like Stoke 15 mins into the game as that is a big window. I made allowances for that in my initial post. 20 mins is a big window, would never deny that.

Stand by what I said though, we concede too many goals, and certainly chances, at the start of the game or just after HT.

The time we should worry about looking at that is 31-40, where we are getting beaten.

I'd prefer to see the stats in either 15 minute slots, or 5 minute slots, as that way you get an idea for each half as 41-50 is a period of 25 minutes with a chat in the middle.
I agree. First thing that struck me too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.