Tokyo

softlad

Has anyone been? Looking at going next year on the way home from NZ.

Have a week to spend, so thinking about 4 nights in Tokyo and 3 in Kyoto via the bullet train.

Anyone with any must-do's or tips, please share!

And is it as expensive as everyone says?

I used to go out there a lot for work, it is (was expensive) but from what I can remember very good. Had a few great nights out in roppongi but it seemed to get more and more seedy each time I went,

Don't be afraid to use public transport to get around. The tram system is exceptional (the odd ricin attack notwithstanding). I spent most of my time in Roppongi but all of the shopping districts were good for a day out.

Both Tokyo & Kyoto are brilliant places - you must go if you have the opportunity.
Tokyo is truly a blast! Do all of the tourist things if you have not been before such as
a cruise up the river Sumida, do a 'tea ceremony', visit the temples, go shopping in Ginza & 'Electric City' etc the night life is
pretty good also! The Japanese are very friendly and really great people. They are also extremely polite!

Kyoto is also an amazing place with the Golden Temple and the Zen Gardens etc
I highly recommend going to both if you can.

Thanks for the replies!

We're certainly very keen and have a great price on flights via NZ as well. Seems a bit too good to be true, but ive checked it.

Has anyone any tips for booking hotels over there? Did people use Trivago etc or is there a better site for hotels in Japan?

I used a serviced apartment in Roppongi. Was cheaper than hotels and a really nice 1 bed apartment in a convenient location.

Think it was Oakwood apartments.

Its a really amazing place, as others have mentioned like nowhere else really.

Couple of tips, I know we, as tourists, shouldn't necessarily expect it; but don't underestimate how little English the people there speak. Hotel staff etc will probably be fine, but if you're out and about looking for directions to a place, the police (etc) likely won't speak a word.

Secondly, depending on the time of year you go, it could be very humid. I went in July, last time, and honestly, I wanted to spend most of my time on the subway system. That reminds me, avoid rush hour, its hell.

In the evening, I think Tokyo is at its most interesting. Street stalls pop up selling all sorts of crap, yaki tori stands pop up. I know people some times worry about eating street food, in my experience, street food in Japan is excellent, and won't leave you in the bathroom for the next 24 hours.

Kyoto is also very fascinating, definitely go.

If you get the chance, I'd go to Hiroshima. There is of course, the obligatory bomb museum; it is very sobering, however.

There is also a lot of other stuff to do, great food (try the Hiroshima Okonomiyaki).

Last time I went I climbed mount Fuji. Again if you get the chance, its well worth a visit.

I did exactly the same trip a couple of years ago (9 days). One thing I've noticed since then, however, is that domestic flights are now way cheaper than the bullet train. I got a Japan Rail pass, which was £230 for unlimited train travel on JR trains, including the bullet train. But a return ticket to Kyoto was about £210 anyway so it was worth it. The train journey is really nice, but if you're on a budget, I'd look at flying instead.

I stayed in a guest house called Shinagawa Shuku in Tokyo, which was a really cheap backpacker place. Basic but good enough if you're gonna be out all day. In Kyoto I stayed at the Chita Guest Inn, which was a lovely traditional guest house for £34 a night (cheaper than the last time I was looking in Manchester). One thing you have to do if you go to Kyoto is make time for a day trip to Nara, which is like a better-preserved and more compact version of Kyoto, with deer walking around the streets. As for Tokyo, it's just overwhelmingly big. I just got a rail card and went to loads of places. Some of my favourites were Harajuku (where all of the hipsters hang out), Akihabara (geek central and hot girls dressed in sexy costumes), Ueno (museums and various old shit) and Asakusa (old temple and market). Another good tip is to go to the Metropolitan Government Building, which is the highest building in the city and has a free viewing platform. It was closed when I went though, because it was a national holiday. But you have to go through Shinjuku train station to get there, and if you exit the wrong side of the station you end up in the red light district, and might end up being offered a book of ladies to choose from by a dodgy looking bloke in a leather jacket. So I hear, anyway. Personally, I'd rate it as the best city in the world.

Oh, and one last thing. Bring plenty of cash. The ATMs over there are a nightmare. I'd say about 1 in 10 accept a foreign card, and pretty much nowhere takes a credit card for payment.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.