Travelling to Manchester by car - how best to get to Etihad?

1961_vintage said:
Plaything of the gods said:
Thanks. I'll be heading off south, so along Ashton New Road to the M60. That's the way I'll arrive as well. I thought £10 to park at the Etihad carpark was a bit steep, and the delay getting away. Parking at the velodrome sounds much better. Might depend on whether it's raining. I had been thinking about parking on Ashton New Road or one of the streets just off it, which should be fine for walking - and pubs.

The City website says there are parking restrictions around the stadium on match days - do these extend along Ashton New Road? Normally I check on Google maps if I'm going somewhere unfamiliar and can see the parking restriction notices in the street view, but can't see any notices at all around that area.

You might be better coming down Ashton Old Road. There's plenty off street parking in and around the industrial business units on your left. Alternatively, if you don't want the risk of getting your car broken into, there's a large car park on your left just as you cross the junction with Alan Turing Way. It costs £7.50, takes around 10 mins to walk to the ground, and is good for getting back out to the M60 after the game.
Having my car broken into is a major consideration. I've had my car broken into before in Manchester, and been burgled - three times. Never happened anywhere else.

I've found the event day parking restriction notices now on Google maps and have identified some likely areas for parking that are busy with houses and shops close by (and avoiding those that are boarded up when closed!)

Thank you all for your advice.

1961_vintage said:
Thanks. I'll be heading off south, so along Ashton New Road to the M60. That's the way I'll arrive as well. I thought £10 to park at the Etihad carpark was a bit steep, and the delay getting away. Parking at the velodrome sounds much better. Might depend on whether it's raining. I had been thinking about parking on Ashton New Road or one of the streets just off it, which should be fine for walking - and pubs.

The City website says there are parking restrictions around the stadium on match days - do these extend along Ashton New Road? Normally I check on Google maps if I'm going somewhere unfamiliar and can see the parking restriction notices in the street view, but can't see any notices at all around that area.

You might be better coming down Ashton Old Road. There's plenty off street parking in and around the industrial business units on your left. Alternatively, if you don't want the risk of getting your car broken into, there's a large car park on your left just as you cross the junction with Alan Turing Way. It costs £7.50, takes around 10 mins to walk to the ground, and is good for getting back out to the M60 after the game.
Having my car broken into is a major consideration. I've had my car broken into before in Manchester, and been burgled - three times. Never happened anywhere else.

I've found the event day parking restriction notices now on Google maps and have identified some likely areas for parking that are busy with houses and shops close by (and avoiding those that are boarded up when closed!)

As 1961 vintage said, there is an industrial estate down ashton old road, I travel up from the south and always park on on the street in there, just opposite Wing Fat Chinese food wholesalers, never had a problem with my car being broken into or damaged. It's free too, don't pay a fiver to go in one of the signed places, no need to.

10 mins walk to the ground and saves a lot of the queues when exiting.

1961_vintage said:

There is a car park opposite Mary ds it's £7.00 to park but is secure and you don't get blocked in .

1961_vintage said:

If I'm driving I park on Ashton New Road up past Asda, it's a very busy road so the car should be ok (mines a company car so I'm not that arsed anyhow) only about 10 mins walk and the getaway to the M60 is ok now all the temporary lights have gone.
Then we pop into the Velopark cafe in the velodrome for a drink and some food (has Sky for any footy) and is reasonably priced.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.