"UEFA fixed European draws"

sjk2008 said:
PB - Your comment sparked some interest from me into your thoughts on the way the draw is made.

Using your logic of saying that the best teams in Pots 1&2 tend to be drawn against the worst teams in Pots 3&4, I would then presume that as a direct result of this, it would mean the worse teams in Pots 1&2 would be drawn with the best teams in Pots 3&4 and, therefore, little choice other than the middle tier teams in all 4 pots being drawn with eachother as they're the only teams left out of this equation?

Before I look closer into this proposed methodology of yours, PB, when you say "the best teams" do you mean according to co-efficiency seedings pre-draw or general opinions on how UEFA officials would rank teams (taking into account stature and performance)? In other words, Shakhtar were higher up the co-efficienct seeding than City, yet is that what you are going along with in your ideas or do you think UEFA would tag City as the "bigger fish"?

Well Shakhtar got Juve and Chelsea so they got a tough group.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
mat said:
Well fuck me.

UEFA fixing cup draws to appease the big teams and guarantee TV revenue.

Next you'll be telling me that the match officials are being instructed to get the right teams through.

Cant wait till our chimps league draw next season.

Barca
Bayern
Us
Strangely placed decent Italian side
Be some serious explaining us to how 2 teams from Pot A managed to play each other in the group

Don't try and reason with the conspiracy theorists mate - they just know it's all fixed,and one day they will find that evidence/proof stuff which they haven't quite unearthed yet,but it is definitely out there,and then you'll be sorry.
I reckon our pot will be;

The 1970 Brazil team
The 1978 Argentina team
A combined Barca/Real 'Best Eleven'
Us,but we can only play those born in Piccadilly Gardens.
ffs post of the year...

Remember the last 2 teams to be drawn in this seasons CL?.

Dortmund and CFR Cluj.

Correction, neither of those teams were drawn. Dortmund were taken out first and *put straight into our group*. Cluj were taken out last and *put straight into United's group*.

The reason? So Bayern and Dortmund would play on separate nights in the CL for German Television.

That's right, in essence the draw was fixed for German television and UEFA.

sjk2008 said:
PB - Your comment sparked some interest from me into your thoughts on the way the draw is made.

Using your logic of saying that the best teams in Pots 1&2 tend to be drawn against the worst teams in Pots 3&4, I would then presume that as a direct result of this, it would mean the worse teams in Pots 1&2 would be drawn with the best teams in Pots 3&4 and, therefore, little choice other than the middle tier teams in all 4 pots being drawn with eachother as they're the only teams left out of this equation?

Before I look closer into this proposed methodology of yours, PB, when you say "the best teams" do you mean according to co-efficiency seedings pre-draw or general opinions on how UEFA officials would rank teams (taking into account stature and performance)? In other words, Shakhtar were higher up the co-efficienct seeding than City, yet is that what you are going along with in your ideas or do you think UEFA would tag City as the "bigger fish"?
No - it's on UEFA co-efficient. You're always going to have 8 pretty strong teams in Pot 1 anyway and Madrid were the 5th ranked team in Pot 1. We were 6th in Pot 2, Ajax were 2nd in Pot 3 and Dortmund were 2nd in pot 4 I think.

jrb said:
Remember the last 2 teams to be drawn in this seasons CL?.

Dortmund and CFR Cluj.

Correction, neither of those teams were drawn. Dortmund were taken out first and *put straight into our group*. Cluj were taken out last and *put straight into United's group*.

The reason? So Bayern and Dortmund would play on separate nights in the CL for German Television.

That's right, in essence the draw was fixed for German television and UEFA.

The draw was not fixed. There is just more rules to the draw than just take 8 balls from each pot how they come. They did adjustments already before the last draw.

And a lot of the viewers know some of the rules. E.g. it was clear after Bayern was drawn into F that Dortmund had to go into A to D. Manchester City could only go to A to D after ManU was in H. Malaga could only go into A to D after Valencia was drawn into F. And could not go into D as there was also Real of the same country.

That they need to shift at the end when it is clear that they only have 2 or 3 balls left and for ball no. 3 there is only one possibility whereas there is some for no. 1 or 2 is just normal in that system.

But that does not mean the draw is fixed. It just tells that the draw is somewhat complicated to comfort the TV stations - and with it the TV viewers. Not everybody has Sky...

Prestwich_Blue said:
sjk2008 said:

No - it's on UEFA co-efficient. You're always going to have 8 pretty strong teams in Pot 1 anyway and Madrid were the 5th ranked team in Pot 1. We were 6th in Pot 2, Ajax were 2nd in Pot 3 and Dortmund were 2nd in pot 4 I think.

The thing is though, by stretching your theory out from the top 2 teams in pots 1 & 2 meeting the bottom 2 teams in pots 3 & 4 and vice versa, to a team ranked 5, 6, 2 & 2 (as is Madrid, City, Ajax & Dortmund), at what point to you stop "stretching" your theory?

Looking at how the Pots were this year, I have ranked them both in their co-efficency rating as they were pre-draw and as according to your theory.

POT 1 POT 2 POT 3 POT 4

1.Barcelona 1. Valencia 8. Galatasaray 8. Nordsjaelland
2.Bayern Munich 2. Benfica 7. Lille 7. Montpellier

3.Man United 3. Shakhtar 6. PSG 6. Malaga
4.Chelsea 4. Zenit 5. Spartak Moscow 5. CFR Cluj

5.Real Madrid 5. Schalke 4. Juventus 4. Dinamo Zagreb
6.Arsenal 6. Man City 3. Anderlecht 3. BATE Borisov

7.FC Porto 7. Braga 2. Ajax 2. Dortmund
8.AC Milan 8. Dinamo Kiev 1. Olympiakos 1. Celtic

Obviously there are instances where teams from the same nation are similarly ranked in their pots so, with Barcelona drawn, you cannot lump Valencia with them so therefore we would therefore take the next team down - Benfica.

Instances that happened in this years draw which follow your theory to an extent are:

Barcelona & Benfica (Pots 1 & 2)
Bayern Munich, Valencia & Lille (Pots 1, 2 & 3)
Man United & CFR Cluj (Pots 1 & 4)
Chelsea & Shakhtar (Pots 1 & 2)
Real Madrid & Man City (Pots 1 & 2)
Arsenal & Schalke (Pots 1 & 2)
FC Porto & Dinamo Kiev (Pots 1 & 2)

To be fair, I can go along with half of your theory, in that similar ranked teams in Pots 1 & 2 have often been drawn together (this year anyway). However, the rest of your theory falls down in that there’s no set pattern as to how the rest of the groups are drawn.

City could well have been drawn Juventus & BATE Borisov instead of Ajax & Dortmund which would represent a very similar challenge. Funnily enough, United could have been drawn with Shakhtar, PSG & Malaga, which would delight the conspiracy nuts who believe United get favourable draws.

I can’t be arsed looking into last years draw to see if there’s any ongoing pattern to half of your theory being proven correct (to an extent), however someone here might be interested in it (JMW).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.