Unicorn Athletic F.C

rje1977 said:
Only just heard about "Dek" passing away. Absolutely gutted, he was like a second dad to us in the early 80's - early 90's and took pride in assembling the best team in the South Manchester area by far. Remember the time Manchester boys played us on their own ground and we beat them. Me and a couple of others were approached after the game to see if we wanted to play for them but there was no chance. Unicorn were the envy of all the other kids and THE team to play for !

I played for one of his "super teams" from the age of 6 to 16 and we dominated the Timperley and district league and any team who tried to stand in our way. I think we only missed out on the league twice in all that time to Flixton and Hale Barns. I've still got the trophies to show for it at home, and fond memories from our last ever "under 16's" presentation evening at the Sylvan in 1993 when he presented me with the "fans player of the season" and his "managers player award "1983 - 1993" Getting pissed on Skol was just a happy blur !

I can still hear him bawling at us from the touch line... "Jesus wept, pass the ball" / "Pissing wars (?!) you're like deaf warmed up" Looking back I can remember certain mums and dads arguing with him when he shouted at their sons. Some couldn't hack it and left for lesser clubs, but most of us knew that he was only trying to make us into the best players he could.

Driving us to Platt Lane to train on the astro turf with coaches Guss and Ralph every Wednesday evening, stopping at the chippy on the way home and getting us chips.

Can honestly say I will always fondly remember Dek, cherished childhood memories forever !

I'm living in London now (no prizes for guessing which Manchester football club I support) but keen to attend the funeral.

RIP Dek

LEGEND !

( Rob Evans )

I played for Unicorn from being 5-16; not one of Derek's teams (he managed the age group below), but it didn't matter - he was still a virtual ever-present at all our home games, too. May have been prone to the odd gibberish shout from the sidelines, but really knew his stuff, and was an absolute stalwart of the club - it's actually pretty humbling to think of the hours he must have put in over the years. A great bloke, and a top blue.

He also got me in as ballboy at City - albeit during the dark days of the five-manager-season (Ball, Hartford, Coppell, Neal, Clark)! Can still picture - and hear - him now, dishing out the bollockings when needed. And see him plodding up and down the Maine Road touchline in his size 50 trainers, collecting in the balls before kick-off.

Last saw him a year or so ago and he looked frail, and I'd heard in the meantime that he was ill. Still comes as a shock to hear that he's gone.

RIP 'Big Dek'

For anyone who remembers Derek Calderbank and would like to pay their respects his funeral is on Thursday 11th July at 11am at Altrincham Crematorium. His family is asking for donations to Parkinson's UK - Unicorn have set up a justgiving.com/DerekCalderbank page. #legend

rje1977 said:
Only just heard about "Dek" passing away. Absolutely gutted, he was like a second dad to us in the early 80's - early 90's and took pride in assembling the best team in the South Manchester area by far. Remember the time Manchester boys played us on their own ground and we beat them. Me and a couple of others were approached after the game to see if we wanted to play for them but there was no chance. Unicorn were the envy of all the other kids and THE team to play for !

I played for one of his "super teams" from the age of 6 to 16 and we dominated the Timperley and district league and any team who tried to stand in our way. I think we only missed out on the league twice in all that time to Flixton and Hale Barns. I've still got the trophies to show for it at home, and fond memories from our last ever "under 16's" presentation evening at the Sylvan in 1993 when he presented me with the "fans player of the season" and his "managers player award "1983 - 1993" Getting pissed on Skol was just a happy blur !

I can still hear him bawling at us from the touch line... "Jesus wept, pass the ball" / "Pissing wars (?!) you're like deaf warmed up" Looking back I can remember certain mums and dads arguing with him when he shouted at their sons. Some couldn't hack it and left for lesser clubs, but most of us knew that he was only trying to make us into the best players he could.

Driving us to Platt Lane to train on the astro turf with coaches Guss and Ralph every Wednesday evening, stopping at the chippy on the way home and getting us chips.

Can honestly say I will always fondly remember Dek, cherished childhood memories forever !

I'm living in London now (no prizes for guessing which Manchester football club I support) but keen to attend the funeral.

RIP Dek

LEGEND !

( Rob Evans )

Only just heard the news and can certainly relate to Robs post as I am sure I played in many games with Rob.

I didn't start playing for Unicorn until 9 but they were without doubt the most enjoyable times of my childhood football life. We were at that time completely unbeatable under Derek.

Derek would pick me up in his car from northern moor to drive us to match days,training and Platt lane training on Wednesdays. As rob says the usual chippy stop off on the way home was compulsory (They had to do great chips though).

Never forgot the yearly trip to Blackpool and the guess the mileage game (63 by the way) . He even stopped someone coming out of the chippy in Blackpool to test his chips before buying.

I remember a manager who had an infectious appetite to win and installed that into all his players. His knowledge of the game was superb and his effort was unquestioned.

I did see him a few years back and couldn't believe he still remembered me which says everything about the man. He will be sadly missed.

(Mike Davies)

jesus what a load of nostalgia this thread is! remember unicorn fc, i played for st johns from chorlton against them a few times. were a decent side but were never a top, top team in my age group.

i remember the final of the league cup we played against a team with an all blue kit with yellow trim (for the life of me cant remember, could have been urmston but they played in red didnt they? or was that sale?) was an actual derby between us - they battered us 8-0 every time and it kicked off every time as well. got our revenge in the cup final at that little stadium in trafford. those were the days man!!

Many, many years ago, 70's some time, I played in goal once and let in 4 goals. Cant believe I wasn't asked back. If memory serves me correct the kit was similar to Derby County.

I just found out Derek died, after seeing it in the programme for Palace.

I worked at City for many years, and one of the jobs I got involved in was the ballboys. Derek organised them but we'd help him from time to time. He was a really nice bloke but he was very frail last time I saw him.

He was one of those matchday characters who you would see every match and was part of the furniture.

Farewell Derek

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.