United Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm calling it now.

Shrek will be back at the swamp playing in January.

Ten Hag is a very good coach, I really do rate him. But the poison running through that club from top to bottom, including their deluded fanbase, all the ex-players and Fergie still being there, the constant magnifying glass analysis in post-match losses by Neville and co on Sky, and all the ridiculously poor buys they’ve made for a decade and more spending over £1bn in the process (and they moan about the Glazers!) is going to stop anyone from doing a good coach at that club.

That Ralf Rangnick was absolutely spot on when he said this last season:

“It’s not the managers’ quality, it’s about changing all the other things that have brought the club into the position we are in right now”.

It’s not the owners who’re the problem or the coaches they’ve had, it’s the poisonous thread running through the club, the “we did this in the 90s” looking back in time attitude. They aren’t a progressive club looking towards the future, the club and their fanbase are desperately clinging on to the past.

Even the appointment of Steve McLaren seems a United decision, it smacks of a “McLaren was the assistant coach when we won the treble in 99, and you know him from your Twente links, so you should appoint him, it’ll give the fans some comfort from the memories of that season”, more than it is a Ten Hag appointment.

Nothing will change at United until Fergie’s footsteps are no longer heard in their corridors and their fans come to the realisation that nothing lasts forever, they were never really that special anyway (it was just the perfect storm of them winning trophies just as money exploded in the game), that there are many very brilliant clubs in England and at any time any from about 25 could become a top club with the right backing and right board members.

That is a great interview. Was that soon after he joined? He looks bright and hopeful.

I'm hopeful that he left frustrated that nobody listened and started the behind the scenes improvements that he called for (could take time to see on the pitch if they did).

I wake up to news that United are bidding for Arnautovic and I'm thinking alright, who else are they targeting from that 13/14 Stoke squad that I led to league cup glory in Football Manager? Matty Etherington? Ryan Shawcross? What is Liam's dad up to nowadays??

Ten Hag is a very good coach, I really do rate him. But the poison running through that club from top to bottom, including their deluded fanbase, all the ex-players and Fergie still being there, the constant magnifying glass analysis in post-match losses by Neville and co on Sky, and all the ridiculously poor buys they’ve made for a decade and more spending over £1bn in the process (and they moan about the Glazers!) is going to stop anyone from doing a good coach at that club.

That Ralf Rangnick was absolutely spot on when he said this last season:

“It’s not the managers’ quality, it’s about changing all the other things that have brought the club into the position we are in right now”.

It’s not the owners who’re the problem or the coaches they’ve had, it’s the poisonous thread running through the club, the “we did this in the 90s” looking back in time attitude. They aren’t a progressive club looking towards the future, the club and their fanbase are desperately clinging on to the past.

Even the appointment of Steve McLaren seems a United decision, it smacks of a “McLaren was the assistant coach when we won the treble in 99, and you know him from your Twente links, so you should appoint him, it’ll give the fans some comfort from the memories of that season”, more than it is a Ten Hag appointment.

Nothing will change at United until Fergie’s footsteps are no longer heard in their corridors and their fans come to the realisation that nothing lasts forever, they were never really that special anyway (it was just the perfect storm of them winning trophies just as money exploded in the game), that there are many very brilliant clubs in England and at any time any from about 25 could become a top club with the right backing and right board members.

I noticed yesterday that Ferguson is still in his seat at the swamp doing his best impression of the ghost of christmas past.
No new manager is going to turn them around whilst he's still there haunting the corridors and rattling his chains.

Watching the highlights, the rags are well and truly screwed. They're trying to play Pep style football with no Pep players. When Pep came to us it took 2 years for him to weed out the players that wouldn't suit his system and for the penny to drop for a lot of the others what he wanted from them. Ddg started trying to play the ball out from the back, realised the defenders and midfielders kept losing the ball and ended up punting it to no-one. To play the way he wants them to they need ball playing players throughout the team, and we know how hard it is to find and recruit the right players. In the mean time he'll lose the dressing room because they don't see the bigger picture, specially when the results don't go their way. The players that aren't up to it (most of them) will start to feel pushed out. We saw with Leeds & Bielsa that the style of football doesn't work in the Prem if you don't have the right players. We've seen from De Jong that the right players don't want to go to them, so they'll end up over paying. Overall they're screwed, and I'm loving it!

Last edited:
Trophy wise how many in that time?
Five league titles, two FA Cups, five Charity Shields, two of which were shared, and one European Cup (according to Wikipedia).

This was a time, when there wasn’t as much money swilling around in the game, so teams were more equal and players didn’t move between clubs as much.

He also rebuilt the rags after the Munich air disaster.

Even the most rabid anti-rag Blue should acknowledge what a great job he did at the swamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.