United Thread - 2023/24

The non-football people involved at United are making some noise about how a football club should work

The 1st thing is never to let the board or shareowners get involved with the football side of things because they know fuck all about football for a start, 2nd thing is having a board built of shareowners with a voice or an image and ego.

United and their fans are heading for another crash and breakdown if they think Jim and his 25% stake is the answer, Make no bones about it the Glazer have pulled off a masterstroke and took Jim's £1.5billion and pocked the lot, Jim will have to work with peanuts and a possible FFP breach, Revenue is down and making losses Debt climbing so where is the money coming from for this new club build and new Wembley of the north,

In his autobiography, Len Shackleton wrote a chapter entitled, "What Directors Know About Football," and left a blank page.

The best chairmen/directors keep their mouths shut, or conversely, the worst ones can’t stay silent.

Peter fucking Swales being a prime example.

In his autobiography, Len Shackleton wrote a chapter entitled, "What Directors Know About Football," and left a blank page.

The best chairmen/directors keep their mouths shut, or conversely, the worst ones can’t stay silent.

City had to learn the hard way and from Swales to Franny Lee, it was very much all about the chairman and the board members and power struggles, Swales wanted full control of everything even the football side of things,
When looking back Swales had a phone next to his seat to ring the dug-out ?

City had to learn the hard way and from Swales to Franny Lee, it was very much all about the chairman and the board members and power struggles, Swales wanted full control of everything even the football side of things,
When looking back Swales had a phone next to his seat to ring the dug-out ?
It’s a pity it wasn’t an ejector seat!

True, true, true.. and something complainers on here ought to bear in mind when having a pop regarding Khaldoon et al's handling of the media and so on.

BTW, one of the lads who used to be in my team of Reps years ago was a nephew of Len Shackleton. He and I used to talk often about 'The Clown Prince of Football', especially as I had read Shackleton's autobiography as a kid (he was also delighted when I told him my Old Man rated Shackleton second only to City's own Peter Doherty)

My colleague used to to tell of how his Uncle Len loved to entertain the kids at family get-togethers such as weddings and christenings by juggling a tennis ball, with his feet doing the 'keepy-uppies' and then heading the tennis ball onto his shoulders, rolling it from side to side.. even in his 'Sunday best' shoes!

Sounds like he was a great bloke, as well as a phenomenally talented player.. and also intelligent enough to recognise 'Board Room Wrong'Uns' when he met them!

Last edited:
True, true, true.. and something complainers on here ought to bear in mind when having a pop regarding Khaldoon et al's handling if the media and so on.

BTW, one of the lads who used to be in my team of Reps years ago was a nephew of Len Shackleton. He and I used to talk often about 'The Clown Prince of Football', especially as I had read Shackleton's autobiography as a kid (he was also delighted when I told him my Old Man rated Shackleton second only to City's own Peter Doherty)

My colleague used to to tell of how his Uncle Len loved to entertain the kids at family get-togethers such as weddings and christenings by juggling a tennis ball, with his feet doing the 'keepy-uppies' and then heading the tennis ball onto his shoulders, rolling it from side to side.. even in his 'Sunday best' shoes!

Sounds like he was a great bloke, as well as a phenomenally talented player.. and also intelligent enough to recognise 'Board Room Wrong'Uns' when he met them!
The great David Bernstein was another chairman, whose name very rarely appeared in the sports media of this country.

He just got on with his job, which he did brilliantly, IMHO.

The great David Bernstein was another chairman, whose name very rarely appeared in the sports media of this country.

He just got on with his job, which he did brilliantly, IMHO.
I was once at Maine Road on my way home from work, suited and tie on etc. We'd just won promotion under Keegan and I was about to renew my season ticket.

I parked my car in front of the Social Club and walked to the office, when I spotted David Bernstein walking away from the main entrance, briefcase in hand, looking like he'd had 'a bit of a day'..

He smiled and nodded at me, so I thought 'What the hell?!' and engaged with him saying 'Thanks Mr Chairman!'

He asked 'What for?'. So I just said 'For saving my club'.

I hope he had a spring in his step thereafter..!

I was once at Maine Road on my way home from work, suited and tie on etc. We'd just won promotion under Keegan and I was about to renew my season ticket.

I parked my car in front of the Social Club and walked to the office, when I spotted David Bernstein walking away from the main entrance, briefcase in hand, looking like he'd had 'a bit of a day'..

He smiled and nodded at me, so I thought 'What the hell?!' and engaged with him saying 'Thanks Mr Chairman!'

He asked 'What for?'. So I just said 'For saving my club'.

I hope he had a spring in his step thereafter..!
Great story.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.