United Thread - 2023/24

If Burnham was consistent and asked for money for Irlam, Oldham, Bury, I would not have a problem. I repeat, the area around the swamp is a great place to live. What I object to is the circus that has been formed. Let the rags fund their own stadium and let private business build the houses.
No national government should be giving money to billionaires but as the national government haven't said they will, how can I be angry at them ?
Possibly the problem you have is that the request for money has had much, much more publicity than other initiatives or requests for financial help to the government has received.
Burnham asking for money to go towards upgrading the transport links is exactly the job the Greater Manchester mayor should be doing, Ratcliffe and Coe setting off a media circus is how this kind of thing gets done. Like it or not, as Burnham has said and as we take the piss out of them for, United are a huge tourist attraction in the region which brings plenty of money into the local economy.
This is why their request for funding for whatever they've got planned is featured in the press much more than any of the other less glamorous funding requests that have been received for the region;

Or are there any specific initiatives across Irlam, Oldham or Bury that you don't feel have been properly supported by Burnham or whoever else?
If money is approved by the government to go towards regenerating Trafford who will you be angry with about it? The government for handing it out or Greater Manchester for accepting it?

For what it's worth I don't think any money will go towards funding a stadium rebuild, this is more about drumming up interest and sponsors to get more outside income involved with the stadium and surrounding area. If the plan for rebuilding, or whatever else they want to do, then the council should get involved to make sure that as much money as possible goes towards upgrading the transport infrastructure and that as many jobs and building contracts as is practical go to local companies as City did with building the Etihad Campus. They could also stipulate that there needs to be a certain amount of social housing or other community initiatives, like Connell College and the sports centre, if they are allowed to expand. I'm not sure how it would work for them though as I don't know who owns the land around there, they may have to go down the road of compulsory purchase orders like Spurs did. I think we had to apply for a couple of compulsory orders too but mostly the land was derelict and council owned which is why we got it for fuck all on the proviso we build public services along with everything else for the club.

Suppose it's right but not in the way he thinks, I don't give a shit really about the dips, they'll be back in the pack next season.

My rivalry and hatred list has the same team on top that it's had for the last 56+ years of my life from when I started school, if not before.
I was the only City sperm. The rest were all rags. I have hated them over 60 years now.

Possibly the problem you have is that the request for money has had much, much more publicity than other initiatives or requests for financial help to the government has received.
Burnham asking for money to go towards upgrading the transport links is exactly the job the Greater Manchester mayor should be doing, Ratcliffe and Coe setting off a media circus is how this kind of thing gets done. Like it or not, as Burnham has said and as we take the piss out of them for, United are a huge tourist attraction in the region which brings plenty of money into the local economy.
This is why their request for funding for whatever they've got planned is featured in the press much more than any of the other less glamorous funding requests that have been received for the region;

Or are there any specific initiatives across Irlam, Oldham or Bury that you don't feel have been properly supported by Burnham or whoever else?
If money is approved by the government to go towards regenerating Trafford who will you be angry with about it? The government for handing it out or Greater Manchester for accepting it?

For what it's worth I don't think any money will go towards funding a stadium rebuild, this is more about drumming up interest and sponsors to get more outside income involved with the stadium and surrounding area. If the plan for rebuilding, or whatever else they want to do, then the council should get involved to make sure that as much money as possible goes towards upgrading the transport infrastructure and that as many jobs and building contracts as is practical go to local companies as City did with building the Etihad Campus. They could also stipulate that there needs to be a certain amount of social housing or other community initiatives, like Connell College and the sports centre, if they are allowed to expand. I'm not sure how it would work for them though as I don't know who owns the land around there, they may have to go down the road of compulsory purchase orders like Spurs did. I think we had to apply for a couple of compulsory orders too but mostly the land was derelict and council owned which is why we got it for fuck all on the proviso we build public services along with everything else for the club.
I live in Trafford. The area around the swamp is very well funded by private investment. A new, huge, block of apartments have just gone on sale, 160k plus. This was previously an old factory, private money transformed it. The area is well served by transport links, the metro, the M60 and the Mancuinian Way. There is little land, not owned by united that is in need of redevelopment. You ask who I would be angry with if money is forthcoming, I won't be angry, I will be disappointed that the circus has obtained money that is not needed by them but desperately needed elsewhere.
You've mentioned City and the redevelopment they've done. No public money was involved. We dealt with Manchester City Council not Burnhams mob.
If the rags want to copy City they can talk to Trafford Council and use their own money or that of other private companies.
Everyone, well 2 of you backing Burnham say no money should go to the rags but we all know why this is being pushed and we all know what will happen if it was ever approved. They will get multi millions of pounds towards their stadium as part of 'Levelling Up'. Making Scruffy Jim and the yanks even richer when they sell.

I live in Trafford. The area around the swamp is very well funded by private investment. A new, huge, block of apartments have just gone on sale, 160k plus. This was previously an old factory, private money transformed it. The area is well served by transport links, the metro, the M60 and the Mancuinian Way. There is little land, not owned by united that is in need of redevelopment. You ask who I would be angry with if money is forthcoming, I won't be angry, I will be disappointed that the circus has obtained money that is not needed by them but desperately needed elsewhere.
You've mentioned City and the redevelopment they've done. No public money was involved. We dealt with Manchester City Council not Burnhams mob.
If the rags want to copy City they can talk to Trafford Council and use their own money or that of other private companies.
Everyone, well 2 of you backing Burnham say no money should go to the rags but we all know why this is being pushed and we all know what will happen if it was ever approved. They will get multi millions of pounds towards their stadium as part of 'Levelling Up'. Making Scruffy Jim and the yanks even richer when they sell.
Just so I've got your argument straight, you're upset because Brexiteer Tory Tax Exile, Sir Jim Ratcliffe and former athletes and ex-Tory politician Seb Coe have begun the process of creating publicity trying to drum up support to receive some Levelling Up money from the Tory government along with private sponsors/investors.
This is somehow the fault of "Burnham's mob" because the mayor of Greater Manchester has said that they'd support and welcome any kind of investment in Greater Manchester.
The crux of your distress at this situation is because City dealt with Manchester City Council and not "Burnham's mob" (who were elected in 2017 when Greater Manchester become one of the first devolved areas in the country) to build the Etihad Campus (opened in 2014, 3 years before the devolution of Greater Manchester) or were involved in the building of the original Sportcity development which regenerated the part of East Manchester that now holds the Etihad (originally built as the City of Manchester Stadium using government funds from the Sport England initiative) which opened in time for the start of the Commonwealth Games in 2002, a whopping 15 years before "Burnham's mob" had any say over Greater Manchester.
You feel that no money should go to Trafford as there's already plenty of private money in new developments already there, much like all the New Islington developments in Beswick, but you're unhappy about what this non-existent, hypothetical money has been used for despite it not existing or being allocated to any project that may or may not happen or exist.
However, all these hypothetical situations are all the fault of "Burnham's mob", have I got that correct?

Just so I've got your argument straight, you're upset because Brexiteer Tory Tax Exile, Sir Jim Ratcliffe and former athletes and ex-Tory politician Seb Coe have begun the process of creating publicity trying to drum up support to receive some Levelling Up money from the Tory government along with private sponsors/investors.
This is somehow the fault of "Burnham's mob" because the mayor of Greater Manchester has said that they'd support and welcome any kind of investment in Greater Manchester.
The crux of your distress at this situation is because City dealt with Manchester City Council and not "Burnham's mob" (who were elected in 2017 when Greater Manchester become one of the first devolved areas in the country) to build the Etihad Campus (opened in 2014, 3 years before the devolution of Greater Manchester) or were involved in the building of the original Sportcity development which regenerated the part of East Manchester that now holds the Etihad (originally built as the City of Manchester Stadium using government funds from the Sport England initiative) which opened in time for the start of the Commonwealth Games in 2002, a whopping 15 years before "Burnham's mob" had any say over Greater Manchester.
You feel that no money should go to Trafford as there's already plenty of private money in new developments already there, much like all the New Islington developments in Beswick, but you're unhappy about what this non-existent, hypothetical money has been used for despite it not existing or being allocated to any project that may or may not happen or exist.
However, all these hypothetical situations are all the fault of "Burnham's mob", have I got that correct?
I didn't read your post after the first sentence. Feel free to carry on the good fight.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.