US Politics Thread

But it was tolerated by the UK. People may forget but we sat back when Russia last invaded Ukraine, allowing them to take Crimea and a huge portion in the east.
Not sure that had anything to do with the Israel lobby? I love my tinfoil hat etc, but that's a reach.

Not sure that had anything to do with the Israel lobby? I love my tinfoil hat etc, but that's a reach.
Yes, and there was nothing we could do about the invasion. The Ukraine army was non existent at the time. NATO countries, including ourselves, immediately started training programs to help Ukraine build their forces and fight back.

Assuming there is no rogue juror, a conviction on the accounts misdemeanour is likely. The harder charge to prove is the felony that it was done to affect the election. Punishment on the misdemeanour is likely a fine, but the felony carries serious prison time.

I’ve been reading some slightly nobby legal arguments (based on my limited understanding, not a lawyer).

Apparently, the major challenge with this prosecution is again about the limits of state power. Basically the “misdemeanour” of falsifying business records is a law at the state level, as is the law of conspiracy.

The complication is that the conspiracy law states the charges rise to a felony if the fraud was conducted in furtherance to some other crime. That crime, the one it is in furtherance of in this instance, is a federal campaign law violation, indeed the ones Cohen pled guilty to in a federal court.

So you have a state charge, underpinned by a state charge in which to be found guilty another crime needs to be shown and that crime is a federal one. The big issue is not that Trump is innocent of that federal crime, it’s that the DoJ have declined to indict him at the federal level.

All of this, though, is a matter of debate which already happened in pre-trial motions. It seems likely that the jury will not be asked to worry about this element as it is distinctly technical, they will judge whether the crimes have been committed prima facie, and the question of potential state overreach will be left to an appellate court. That means this trial could well not be fully resolved for a long time to come.

Edit: I should add, we haven’t actually heard the prosecutorial arguments yet so there is a certain amount of speculation above regarding which laws/statutes will be involved.

Not good to the USA's soft power.
In China, some people really believe the "demorcracy, open market, free trade, the government doesn't intervene in business", and TikTok's boss, Zhang Yiming, is one of them.
It seems that the US does not value soft power as much as it used to.
The tiktok shit show is so... I don't know how to describe it, it should not be USA's level.

Step forward the Supreme Court of the United States.
Today’s the day of oral argument on the question of absolute presidential immunity.
Most commentators seem to think there is no chance that Trump’s position will be endorsed by the court, but I am not so sure. Trump’s three appointments are real rogues who lied to the senate in their confirmation hearings. They are Maga justices. They are not democrats and look for ways to subvert the constitution. They have already endorsed Republican jerrymandered Congressional maps, not once but twice. They will vote for absolute immunity, so it depends what the rest of the court will do.
Expect a fudge that delays Trump‘s trial for election interference even further.
If it goes in favour of Trump and the President is immune to prosecution, Biden should sign an executive order to execute Trump.

Job done.

Not good to the USA's soft power.
In China, some people really believe the "demorcracy, open market, free trade, the government doesn't intervene in business", and TikTok's boss, Zhang Yiming, is one of them.
It seems that the US does not value soft power as much as it used to.
The tiktok shit show is so... I don't know how to describe it, it should not be USA's level.
The problem is that many countries are now worried that Tik-Tok is setting narratives by controlling the data, which should worry them.

As you are in China, can you confirm what we see in the west, ie. control of the people by any means, including beatings as per during the pandemic?

The problem is that many countries are now worried that Tik-Tok is setting narratives by controlling the data, which should worry them.

As you are in China, can you confirm what we see in the west, ie. control of the people by any means, including beatings as per during the pandemic?
The control of media and its use to shift political views is long understood. However people seem to think the algorithms used in social media aren't manipulated and don't shift the dial. Probably because 90% of content is bollocks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.