US Politics Thread

Could not agree with you more. All your points are just right.
At least we can hope that when it comes back to SCOTUS and Trump is long gone, the maga justices come to their senses and rule against immunity.
In the meantime, writers, lawyers and others must pressure the court with articles, letters, TV programmes etc ensuring that they are aware of the huge weight of feeling that what they doing is just wrong.
I am British but a Republican. I always cite the US and We The People as the shining example of a constitution. Thus, I am very cross with SCOTUS entertaining the idea of immunity.
That feeling should have gone in 2000 when the SC stole the election from Gore. The rot set in then

Could not agree with you more. All your points are just right.
At least we can hope that when it comes back to SCOTUS and Trump is long gone, the maga justices come to their senses and rule against immunity.
In the meantime, writers, lawyers and others must pressure the court with articles, letters, TV programmes etc ensuring that they are aware of the huge weight of feeling that what they doing is just wrong.
I am British but a Republican. I always cite the US and We The People as the shining example of a constitution. Thus, I am very cross with SCOTUS entertaining the idea of immunity.
Have you looked at other Republics constitutions? Not being a smart arse, but generally curious.

Have you looked at other Republics constitutions? Not being a smart arse, but generally curious.
Yes; the German constitution, for example, written by the UK has features of power dispersal to stop dominance, the French is bonkers giving too much power to the President and too little to the parliament, the Irish had to change theirs to accommodate the GF Agreement as they were still operating on the illegal constitution of de Valera.
After that, Western Europe is a bit thin on democratic republics unless you count Italy, which I know little about.
The one good thing about the British constitution is that it is uncodified common law and can be flexed as society changes. It is largely not unwritten as so many commentators mistakenly say, see Act of Habeus Corpus and the Bill of Rights on which the European Human rights declaration, the UN Declaration and many parts of the US constitution are based.
Note Magna Carta can still be sited in US courts, but not British courts.

Last edited:
Perhaps then there is no point to a SCOTUS where the separation of powers has been subverted by partisan appointments by the other branches of the balance of power.
Action lower down would be more fruitful eg Voting rights, jerrymandering. If those abuses were eliminated, the Republicans would never have a majority at Federal level without major policy changes.

Yes; the German constitution, for example, written by the UK has features of power dispersal to stop dominance, the French is bonkers giving too much power to the President and too little to the parliament, the Irish had to change theirs to accommodate the GF Agreement as they were still operating on the illegal constitution of de Valera.
After that, Western Europe is a bit thin on democratic republics unless you count Italy, which I know little about.
The one good thing about the British constitution is that it is uncodified common law and can be flexed as society changes. It is largely not unwritten as so many commentators mistakenly say, see Act of Habeus Corpus and the Bill of Rights on which the European Human rights declaration, the UN Declaration and many parts of the US constitution are based.
Note Magna Carta can still be sited in US courts, but not British courts.
Checks out, had to re check the polish one, got a hit much God in it. Ffs.

Action lower down would be more fruitful eg Voting rights, jerrymandering. If those abuses were eliminated, the Republicans would never have a majority at Federal level without major policy changes.
Agree - But at the federal level, the Electoral College acts to give way too much power to swing states, disenfranchising the majority.

Last edited:
Maybe, a close run thing. I always felt Gore gave in too easily. You can’t beat a hanging chad to see how ridiculous the law sometimes is.
Yeah, but democratic systems rely on politicians accepting they have lost and accepting judicial rulings. Without those two you're in trouble.
Yes, the college has had its day. Total popular vote needed, but you can see the right kicking against that.
Kick back is putting it mildly. The right in America are now openly corrupt and happy tobuse violence and intimidation.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.