USA vs. Costa Rica.

Fifa have refused the replay saying that the Costa Rican captain (Bryan Ruiz) did not protest during the match.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1...-rica-protest-calling-for-u.s.-replay?cc=5901

ZURICH -- FIFA has dismissed Costa Rica's protest against losing 1-0 to the United States in a World Cup qualifying match played in a snowstorm because team captain Bryan Ruiz did not complain to the referee during the match.

FIFA says the Costa Rican football association failed to meet the requirements of filing a valid protest of Friday's match in Commerce City, Colo.

In a statement published Tuesday, FIFA refers to a clause in its 2014 World Cup regulations.

It states that when a field becomes unplayable during a match, the protesting team's captain "shall immediately lodge a protest with the referee in the presence of the captain of the opposing team."

FIFA says "therefore, the result of the match played on March 22 stands and is considered as valid."

The Costa Rican federation said Sunday that the "physical integrity" of players and officials was affected, "ball movement became impossible" and field markings were not visible in Friday's match.

Costa Rica soccer federation president Eduardo Li Sanchez said Monday the team sent additional data to FIFA.

"Before the game started we said the conditions were not right for playing, but we had to play because the commissioner and the referee said the conditions were OK to play, so we had to go out," Li told ESPN's Raza Deportiva. "At halftime, we again made a plea. The commissioner went down with us to the pitch to speak with the referee. The game was stopped and we were taken to a crisis room. When we got there, the referee started the match again. Is that fair play?"

U.S. captain Clint Dempsey scored in the 16th minute to lift his team to second place in the six-team CONCACAF region qualifying group after two matches. Costa Rica is last.

The top three teams qualify directly for the tournament in Brazil, and the fourth-place team faces New Zealand in a playoff.

During Friday's game, plows and shovels were used to clear the penalty areas, center circle and midfield stripe as snow got heavier, and a yellow-and-purple ball was used.

Costa Rica coach Jorge Luis Pinto urged the referee to suspend the game, but U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann made a case for playing on because both teams faced the same conditions.

Frank the Yank said:
eddiemarin09 said:
AntiUnited said:
Pretty much this. and for the above poster whats wrong with the Columbus stadium ! its bad enough my state is in the shitter but dont go making fun of our stadiums ! close to it is the mighty Ohio State Buckeyes stadium !
I find nothing wrong with Columbus stadium for the crew...but for a World Cup qualifier? It's not a smart idea at all...this is all just based on my opinion...but I think a World Cup qualifier is to important for home field advantage reasons to be held in Columbus when there's far better arenas to play in..red bull arena is the best place to host it..cold weather state of the art stadium fans all around on top of the field..that's a home field advantage to be proud of..along with red bull arena u got Kansas City Seattle even bbva compass arena in Houston..Columbus is just not up to par and worthy of a prestigious game with World Cup qualification on the line..maybe if the stadium looked like the ones I just mentioned..it's nothing against your state..just your arena

Since I live in the NY metro area, I would LOVE the chance to get to a WC Qualifier. I dont think the US Federation would want a WC Qualifier in this area since it would be tougher to get a home field advantadge. Why?? Because there are so many Mexicans/Hondurans/Guatamalans/Jamaicans in this area that, although they work/live and are even American citizens, they would support the visitors hence diluting the home support........

Ever see what happens when the US play Mexico in Southern California?????
Very good point...how was the support when USA played Ecuador in red bull arena(I think)? I don't remember

eddiemarin09 said:
Frank the Yank said:
Since I live in the NY metro area, I would LOVE the chance to get to a WC Qualifier. I dont think the US Federation would want a WC Qualifier in this area since it would be tougher to get a home field advantadge. Why?? Because there are so many Mexicans/Hondurans/Guatamalans/Jamaicans in this area that, although they work/live and are even American citizens, they would support the visitors hence diluting the home support........

Very good point...how was the support when USA played Ecuador in red bull arena(I think)? I don't remember

I was at the US/Honduras qualifier for the 2010 WCQ at Soldier Field in Chicago. It was a sell out of about 75,000 people, problem was it was easily 75% Honduran. We won 2-1. At the final whistle pretty much anyone that was white was doused with beer/piss/spit. Whatever. Keep the matches in cold areas with minimal Central American populations for me.

acquiesce said:
eddiemarin09 said:
Frank the Yank said:

I was at the US/Honduras qualifier for the 2010 WCQ at Soldier Field in Chicago. It was a sell out of about 75,000 people, problem was it was easily 75% Honduran. We won 2-1. At the final whistle pretty much anyone that was white was doused with beer/piss/spit. Whatever. Keep the matches in cold areas with minimal Central American populations for me.

Unfortunately this is so true. The above is a big reason why I think the US Federation wants to play these games in more "out of the way" venues i.e Columbus, Minnesota, North Carolina etc..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.