Var debate 2019/20

Anyone wanting perfection after three games was hoping beyond hope, like anything new, it'll develop, and I'm sure the screens will be used, they are there. I'm in agreement about the small use of the screens, VAR was being used as a crutch in some tournaments, and it was making it unwatchable, I'm willing to give it 6 months before I'll let other peoples paranoia kick in with me.

Was I in favour ? - Yes originally, but this summer turned me to no.
Do I like it ? - don't know, not enough to go on yet in the PL, but it does seem to be being used consistently so far, consistently good or consistently bad, I'm not sure.
Do I like how its been used in our games ? Probably not, but its affected 1 result arguably, but that result was also badly affected by our own deficiencies both attacking and defending.
I agree with all of this but just would want to make the point that there should be at no time, for any reason, the requirement for City (or any other club) to finish chances at a “high enough rate” to compensate for incompetent/bias refereeing or a farcical implementation of VAR (rather than to simply score more goals than the opposition).

It is tantamount to going in to every match with a handicap and we shouldn’t accept it as an unavoidable reality.

We shouldn’t have to play against the opposition club, the referee, and VAR every match — surely the opposition club is enough.

It’s happened before with new directives being quietly stopped like when we had a penalty given against us at Stoke one year for pulling by Sterling. That soon died a death.

I’d rather us get penalties given by var than cut off our own nose to spite Liverpool’s face. They never seem to have too much trouble getting penalties in the first place.

So can’t agree with you sorry bud.

True enough

I actually think var got both wrong (ie Jesus was onside and Sterling off) from the initial replays before they added the lines. But I’m prepared to accept they were also both correct. Either way, I don’t think they were trying to fuck us.

I also think the offside ruling should be changed from factual (ie you can be 2mm offside) to ‘clear and obvious’ like penalty decisions with the attacker getting the benefit of the doubt.
Sorry to labour the point by 2mm's is not factual due to the frame speed,if it's that close they need to factor in the margin of error which can be a lot,it was too close to be sure,they were always going to give it to show that they could,they need to set a min distance that they can measure using the frame speed that they have and offsides are set to that,say 6,8 inches whatever and it's offside,that isa clear and acceptable measure
The fact that swarbrick is lying already is not a great sign,they can't expect trust when he is doing that and oliver could have looked at the monitor and made his own mind up about the pen claim,,nothing will budge me from my position that we are being used as lab rats,i really wanted var,i thought it would stop diving for pens and clearly offside goals,how stupid was i

Karen I was there and we played very well but our finishing was very poor , and we conceded two soft goal due to a combination of poor concentration and bad defending.

If we had put our chances away, there was no way VAR could have affected the result.
I get that but the 2 things shouldn't go together,not finishing our chances should not ditract from the fact that var decided the game using rules that are not fit for purpose

I agree with all of this but just would want to make the point that there should be at no time, for any reason, the requirement for City (or any other club) to finish chances at a “high enough rate” to compensate for incompetent/bias refereeing or a farcical implementation of VAR (rather than to simply score more goals than the opposition).

It is tantamount to going in to every match with a handicap and we shouldn’t accept it as an unavoidable reality.

We shouldn’t have to play against the opposition club, the referee, and VAR every match — surely the opposition club is enough.

It’s come to something when the record scorers, consistently, have to score a few more just to get over the officials mistakes as well!

You appear to be completely blind to your previous acknowledgement to another poster of teams getting favoured decisions in the past, surely which questions the integrity of the VAR system implemented by the same group of people.
That’s a complete non-sequitur.

There’s a huge difference between half-seeing something in real time in front of the Kop with 54,000 scousers screaming at you and sitting in a portacabin down south surrounded by monitors and having time to look at six different angle to see if there was contact or if wind knocked the cheating red cûnt over.

So I’m not blind of anything, your cognitive skills simply remain lacking. And it seems you’d prefer the old system where we see the traditional elite benefit (11 offside goals by Liverpool last season) rather than want them to actually make a working and fair VAR rather than the shite being served up, which I find odd. The Europeans have managed to get it right so it’s not outside the realms of possibility that the ‘Best League in the World’ could get there. As another poster said, rugby worked through several incarnations of VAR before they got it right.

What are you after? What’s end game for you? No VAR and we just get screwed by the onfield refs forever more? I’d prefer that to the current VAR probably. But I’m not sure we should settle for that.

Sorry to labour the point by 2mm's is not factual due to the frame speed,
You’re arguing with the wrong person. They say it is factual. They use that exact word and they stand by the offside system. I used that term for that reason.

I get that but the 2 things shouldn't go together,not finishing our chances should not ditract from the fact that var decided the game using rules that are not fit for purpose

I agree absolutely but ultimately that is why the goal being disallowed was such so bloody frustrating on the day.

We should have beaten them by 4 or 5 , and then VAR would have been irrelevant.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.