Var debate 2019/20

I agree but you cant really have someone sitting in his shed over ruling you when you are on the pitch , it would make it seem that the match ref is crap plus I guess it would put more pressure on the refs knowing that every mistake is going to notice by big brother. I wont like it if I was a ref. I can see why they back the ref but it doesn't make it right.
Why not? VAR puts the players under that level of scrutiny.

I’m already sick of these freeze frames to justify offside decisions. It’s already been established that it’s not accurate enough and yet they’re doubling down on it.

Even the Fake Ronaldo decision, If you go back or forward a single frame, the decision will change completely.

For me, there needs to be a third line; a thick yellow one for degree of error which if the blue & red lines are both in, its ref’s call (and by ref’s call, I mean he should say it’s too close; benefit of doubt to the attacker) - if your goal is ruled out there, at least you can see why.

I agree but you cant really have someone sitting in his shed over ruling you when you are on the pitch , it would make it seem that the match ref is crap plus I guess it would put more pressure on the refs knowing that every mistake is going to notice by big brother. I wont like it if I was a ref. I can see why they back the ref but it doesn't make it right.
It happens in rugby league.

The refs send a decision up to the Video Ref, either saying “I’ve got a try” or “I’ve got no try”.

Then the VR will prove or disprove the ref’s decision. There has to be enough evidence to overturn the ref’s decision but it if there’s enough evidence he will do it.

For some reason in rugby league, it’s accepted that the refs, who only see something once from one angle at one speed, can make a mistake. PiGMOL seem scared to death of that. I have no idea why.

Nobody is going to think any differently of the ref if VAR disproves their decision. It’s the limitations of a human that seeing something live once cannot always confirm a decision, so the VAR needs to disprove them if they have the evidence.

That’s exactly why it’s there.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that it’s shrouded in mystery, I can’t see why spurs were denied one yesterday . Unless they implement it like the cricket where the conversation is public then it’s always going to be open to accusations of corruption.

I’m already sick of these freeze frames to justify offside decisions. It’s already been established that it’s not accurate enough and yet they’re doubling down on it.

Even the Fake Ronaldo decision, If you go back or forward a single frame, the decision will change completely.

For me, there needs to be a third line; a thick yellow one for degree of error which if the blue & red lines are both in, its ref’s call (and by ref’s call, I mean he should say it’s too close; benefit of doubt to the attacker) - if your goal is ruled out there, at least you can see why.
Indeed. Good idea

The problem is that it’s shrouded in mystery, I can’t see why spurs were denied one yesterday . Unless they implement it like the cricket where the conversation is public then it’s always going to be open to accusations of corruption.
Lasceles fell over in the same line of trajectory he was running in and Kane cut across into that line, Kane could have carried on running in his straight line and he wouldn’t have been brought down.

Isn’t far easier for the powers to be to screw you over without VAR ?

for instance, Silvas pen - ref could just book him casually for diving. Couple of the Walker challengers ref could have just gave a straight red , Aguero goal lino could just put his flag up ?

Far easier for the officials to be corrupt before the introduction of VAR

Last season Salah got countless soft penalties, all of which were awarded by the onfield referee.
Everyone thought VAR - fantastic it's going to stop all that shit.

This season so far what we have is onfield referees not giving stonewall penalties (to City and to other top six challengers) and VAR doing nothing about it.
The onfield refs are hiding behind VAR, they will claim not to have seen it or not to be 100% certain and therefore unable to give it. Meanwhile everyone has stopped having digs at them as all the attention is deflected to the faceless VAR officials instead because they are not correcting the clear and obvious mistakes that have been made.

Time will tell whether Liverpool continue to get soft penalties from the onfield refs compared to other teams. When they get a few stonewall penalties ignored by the onfield ref and ignored by VAR then things will be even. I will be watching how their games are reffed with interest.

The biggest issue is however that VAR was supposed to be brought in to get the decisions correct and it's already absolutely failed in this regard just three games into the season. It's not the technology because at the end of the day the penalty reviews are simply someone rewinding a video. The consistent failure to correct/overrule the onfield refs decision is not something that can be put down to human error it is policy and policy is set by the higher ups in the game.

We (fans of all teams) are paying customers and are being shafted by the PL policy makers.

I think I would have more trust in a VAR panel of Ferdinand, Neville and Scholes - and that says it all!

It's dead easy.

So no way they'll do it.

Yep and as always, Liverpool receive the soft ones and we are denied two stonewall penalties (by the idiot ref on the pitch).

Var was meant to even that up but it’s completely fucking impotent on penalties as they are ‘subjective’. Why the PL decided not to use the pitchside monitorstjat they actually have in place (unlike the rest of Europe), fuck only knows. They’ll simply have to change that.

Agree we should have pitch side screens for referees.

What do you expect from Mike Riley his incompetence and Arrogance is breathtaking his Cayman Island bank account must be bulging

Last season Salah got countless soft penalties, all of which were awarded by the onfield referee.
Everyone thought VAR - fantastic it's going to stop all that shit.

This season so far what we have is onfield referees not giving stonewall penalties (to City and to other top six challengers) and VAR doing nothing about it.
The onfield refs are hiding behind VAR, they will claim not to have seen it or not to be 100% certain and therefore unable to give it. Meanwhile everyone has stopped having digs at them as all the attention is deflected to the faceless VAR officials instead because they are not correcting the clear and obvious mistakes that have been made.

Time will tell whether Liverpool continue to get soft penalties from the onfield refs compared to other teams. When they get a few stonewall penalties ignored by the onfield ref and ignored by VAR then things will be even. I will be watching how their games are reffed with interest.

The biggest issue is however that VAR was supposed to be brought in to get the decisions correct and it's already absolutely failed in this regard just three games into the season. It's not the technology because at the end of the day the penalty reviews are simply someone rewinding a video. The consistent failure to correct/overrule the onfield refs decision is not something that can be put down to human error it is policy and policy is set by the higher ups in the game.

We (fans of all teams) are paying customers and are being shafted by the PL policy makers.

I think I would have more trust in a VAR panel of Ferdinand, Neville and Scholes - and that says it all!

The good thing is that currently neither Ferguson nor Mourinho are working in the PL.

If they were, they would have these guys by the balls within a month & get an extra 15 points each out of it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.