VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24

West Ham guy is right about dives winning penalties where there’s no contact whatsoever being a thing of the past.

Although they’ve been replaced by the ones where the attacker sticks is foot deliberately into the path of the defender before falling over.

So I’m not sure if it’s a net gain for sportsmanship.

The Wolves disallowed goal last night:

I've watched it a few times and i can't see a foul

I’m not saying it is a foul. It’s too wide an angle to tell either way.

But at the very start of the clip a Wolves player seems to block an opponent with his arm or elbow. So I’m guessing that’s what it was given for at least.

I’m not saying it is a foul. It’s too wide an angle to tell either way.

But at the very start of the clip a Wolves player seems to block an opponent with his arm or elbow. So I’m guessing that’s what it was given for at least.
Yeh it was that. From what it looks like, the Bournemouth player pushes him too or it looks like he's about to.

It's definitely nowhere near play

How many non contact clear dives have been awarded penalty’s this season ?

Now think back pre VAR Ronaldo, Salah, Kane etc all at it and being rewarded
You've moved the goalpost a bit from my original post.
Off the top of my head i recall a pen given against your lot where the attacker dived in front of the defender making a clearance and got kicked by the defenders follow through.
The point i was making was 'diving happens now', which it does. Not always resulting in a penalty because it happens all over the pitch and free kicks are given and goals are scored as a result. I'll go further and say var has seen a rise in this type of cheating.

Fifty years of watching the game and i can't remember one specific dive pre var apart from a vague memory of Ronaldo doing it all the time and Salah a couple. I can remember players didn't play up to the var cameras when lightly touched by an opponent. That used to get laughed off the park.

Now, the offsides?

Yeh it was that. From what it looks like, the Bournemouth player pushes him too or it looks like he's about to.

It's definitely nowhere near play

My eyes are far too old and shit to be able to tell from that clip.

But IF it is a foul, I think it’s a fair decision to bring it back as the bloke then tries and fails to cut out the pass to the man who crosses, that leads directly to the goal, so it’s definitely in the same phase of play.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.