Vat on Independent school fees?

There's fuck all wrong with state education. I was state educated and have forged a respectable career for myself, I would say the likelihood of my trajectory being different had I been sent private is slim to non-existent. Likewise, my close friend since childhood (also state educated) is now a cardiologist. No amount of private schooling is going to shape a child if the aptitude and diligence isn't there to begin with.

Most parents choose the private route so they have a trophy child to show off to the Joneses.

There's fuck all wrong with state education. I was state educated and have forged a respectable career for myself, I would say the likelihood of my trajectory being different had I been sent private is slim to non-existent. Likewise, my close friend since childhood (also state educated) is now a cardiologist. No amount of private schooling is going to shape a child if the aptitude and diligence isn't there to begin with.

Most parents choose the private route so they have a trophy child to show off to the Joneses.
For most careers it probably doesn't make a huge difference.

For the ones with power; politics, senior lawyers, senior civil servants, journalists - it's "curious" how much of a difference it makes.

Jeez, whatever happened to the school of hard knocks and university of life?
I presume these are a thing as I’m always seeing dodgy looking cunts online claiming to attend both.

Not sure the first part is going to be correct to any meaningful extent but don’t disagree with your general view on university - and there’s certainly fuck all wrong with being a plumber, which is suitably well rewarded these days for what is, at times, an unpleasant job.
Personally I find it odd that discussions such as imposing VAT on private education and other issues around school funding are conducted separately from questions around tertiary education, given the potentially enormous fiscal burden created by student loans.

The student loan book could very easily hit half a trillion pounds in another twenty years and the fiscal cost created by defaults will for a period at least be extremely high. In fact when the ONS changed how student loans are accounted for in the public finances a few years ago - to more accurately reflect the fiscal impact of expected defaults - the move added 12 billion to government borrowing in a single year.

I think that puts things into perspective a little given that the private school VAT move is expected to generate less than 2 billion per annum in tax revenue.

Universities are businesses, they aren't public sector organisations like schools. They're run for profit and most of them are running big profits on huge revenues. If a university is failing financially then they are not failing because of a lack of government funding, they're failing as a business.

Two researchers invented Graphene at Manchester University. Did Manchester University give them all the tools they needed for that research so that Graphene could be given to the world for free? No chance, Graphene was invented and now the university is exploring as many ways as possible to sell commercial applications for profit.

Tuition fees have been frozen at £9k for over 10 years and before that they were £3k. No university has ever relied upon that for sole income because they would be bankrupt if they did. Even if they double tuition fees (whether students are actually charged that or not) then they're just supplementing profits above all else.

except for the university of Buckingham, all university are not for profit organisations.
all profits are reinvested in the university

that makes the rest of your post horseshit

Personally I find it odd that discussions such as imposing VAT on private education and other issues around school funding are conducted separately from questions around tertiary education, given the potentially enormous fiscal burden created by student loans.

The student loan book could very easily hit half a trillion pounds in another twenty years and the fiscal cost created by defaults will for a period at least be extremely high. In fact when the ONS changed how student loans are accounted for in the public finances a few years ago - to more accurately reflect the fiscal impact of expected defaults - the move added 12 billion to government borrowing in a single year.

I think that puts things into perspective a little given that the private school VAT move is expected to generate less than 2 billion per annum in tax revenue.
Why is it odd?
It’s two totally separate things. Just because they’re both related to education doesn’t mean you can’t talk about one without referencing the other. One relates to parents spending money and the other relates to young people accruing debt. Totally different.
If you want to talk about student loans start a thread on it.

Why is it odd?
It’s two totally separate things. Just because they’re both related to education doesn’t mean you can’t talk about one without referencing the other. One relates to parents spending money and the other relates to young people accruing debt. Totally different.
If you want to talk about student loans start a thread on it.
You can’t see why one education policy which costs taxpayers billions a year is relevant to an education policy proposal which is highly controversial and would raise only a couple of billion a year?

You can’t see why one education policy which costs taxpayers billions a year is relevant to an education policy proposal which is highly controversial and would raise only a couple of billion a year?
They have little to no impact on each other so no.
They can both be discussed independently.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.