Virgil van Dijk

Status
Not open for further replies.
The idea that because we miss chances, we can solve that, but letting the oppo have a clear chance to score, from a nothing attack, every game, is not anything to worry about, is absolute fucking lunacy.

Agree completely. And I'm also weary of it being the same type of goal as well, where a quick forward chases a long ball down the channel, checks back, and then as our desperately retreating centre halves arrive back in the 6 yard box, simply rolls the ball back behind them for an unopposed opposition midfielder to roll it in from about 8 yards

Agree completely. And I'm also weary of it being the same type of goal as well, where a quick forward chases a long ball down the channel, checks back, and then as our desperately retreating centre halves arrive back in the 6 yard box, simply rolls the ball back behind them for an unopposed opposition midfielder to roll it in from about 8 yards

You nailed it. This is how it happens Every. Single. Time.

In an ideal world we would simply steam roll teams, give them no chances and win 4-0 every game but that is not football.

The best defences have conceded goals and chances but they usually restrict it to a minimum and score more. We are restricting chances to them but we are not scoring ours. We restrict the chances against us by having possession and we are very nearly there imo.

You know all this.

That's a very romanticised view of football. The reality is that no matter how much possession we have we will always be vulnerable to long balls over the top of a high line defence, and particularly when that defence is punctuated by a lack of pace. I've seen that particular goal on Monday at least a dozen times, and it occurs because we are suddenly stretched, with our centre halves running full tilt back toward their own goal without the faintest idea of where the opposition players arriving behind them are going to be.
It probably wasn't much of an issue in Spain, because no-one really plays that way, but it is here and Pep looks no closer to finding a solution to it than when he first arrived

We had a moment earlier v Everton where they had a player unmarked, in open space, about 25 yards out, with time on the ball, from the same kind of piss easy to stop move. He hit it in the stand & everyone jeered.

Try it with someone like a Lampard or a Gerrard or even a Pogba.

I would add the individual mistake factor. We concede to many goals due to errors, Monday night being a prime example.

I don't think anyone could argue that VVD would be a far superior signing to JFE

Even if he cost £70m and £180k a week he would still represent better value over the length of the contract. I hate compromising in defence especially when we are so easy to counter on the break. Teams need one attack to score but we don't seem to be able to hit a cows arse with a banjo at 10 paces despite our riches in attack
That's because we constantly try the extra pass òr 3, (and end up losing possession), when the man on the ball (whoever that may be) is clearly better placed to shoot.

Drives me nuts!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.