Virtual reality rape

Maybe we could send digital police to investigate this digital crime and if found guilty imprison the perps digitally?

If this has any semblance of truth to it then it's nothing short of madness IMHO.

Last edited:
This seems like one of those stories deliberately written for headlines to scare older people who don't understand the technology. I'm not some totally uncaring monster, and I hope the girl involved is okay - of course I do - but this whole thing has just left me very confused. I simply don't understand what has actually happened here.

I presume she is playing Horizon Worlds, in which you control a very cartoon-ish character with no legs. There are massive limitations on what's possible in that game (it's frankly not very good but that's just an opinion). It is not in any way what you would call realistic in terms of graphics or physics. For a start you can't be held against your will by another player, players can't grab you. You can literally just walk past them. If a group of players gang up on you for some reason, you can just walk away, if they follow you then you just exit the world. There is no circumstance I can think of where you could be 'trapped', and if you are through exploiting some bug then you just exit the world, exit the game, turn off the game or... take off the headset? And block/report the players harassing you. Even if you could be trapped, what then? What happens next? Nothing can happen, you're in a world of cartoon torsos - they are just... in your way? Is that rape, really?

The fact it is being reported in the Mail does nothing for my confidence in the accuracy of the story.

What is very important in VR games, as it has been since the advent of the internet, is protections against those trying to groom young kids. I strongly suspect some variant of that may be what has actually happened here - as in adults doing some sexually suggestive voice chatting. Young kids can be easily misled and manipulated when sharing a virtual world with adults and strict safeguards are needed as that can't always be resolved by having an off button. Grooming is its own completely separate psychological trauma, but to conflate what has happened here with actual real-world physical rape is for me deeply problematic bordering on offensive. I can't tell if it is minimising physical rape or vastly over-estimating VR Tech to an almost absurd degree in order to scaremonger - I suspect they are aiming for the latter.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.