Well Done Us

No they don't, you're just having trouble reading the graph apparently. Your point was that the earth has been warming since the last ice age, +10000 years of a constant temperature does not equate to warming.

The graphs CLEARLY show temperatures are higher now than at the end of the last ice age.

Your point was that the earth has been warming since the last ice age, +10000 years of a constant temperature does not equate to warming.

How can an ice age END if it doesn't get warmer? During the last Ice Age, the Earth's average temperature was about 12 degrees Fahrenheit colder than it is today.

The graphs CLEARLY show temperatures are higher now than at the end of the last ice age.

How can an ice age END if it doesn't get warmer? During the last Ice Age, the Earth's average temperature was about 12 degrees Fahrenheit colder than it is today.
That wasn't your point. The graphs clearly show an initial warming, which is only logical. However, it is followed by an equilibrium that lasted over 10k years, which contradicts your claim that the earth has been warming since the last ice age.
You do understand the difference between warming and settling at a higher temperature, don't you?

Not followed this thread, but the simple plain fact is that there are PLENTY of periods in the Earth's history where it's been much, much warmer than this. That is not an opinion, it's simple fact. And last time I checked, polar bears still exist. i.e. they are not extinct.
Just remind me how many periods in the Earth's history was climate change caused by one species?

Which actually knew what it was doing it?

Just remind me how many periods in the Earth's history was climate change caused by one species?

Which actually knew what it was doing it?

What's that got to do with why we still have polar bears?

The earth is an inherently stable system with negative feedback loops galore. That's evidenced by the fact that we are all still here after 4 billion years of life on earth. If it was unstable, the atmosphere and all life would have disappeared eons ago. The system is like a ball bearing in a bowl, not one on an upturned plate. Tip it one way, and it returns back to the centre. More CO2 = more plant growth = more oxygen production and more CO2 absorption. CO2 being called "poison" really makes me laugh. It is plant food, FFS.

Climate changes, species come and species go. It's sad, but it's part of the natural order. If the world ends up being 2, 3, 4, 20 degrees warmer, life will continue just fine, as it always has done. The mix might be a bit different, changing as always.

Last edited:
That wasn't your point. The graphs clearly show an initial warming, which is only logical. However, it is followed by an equilibrium that lasted over 10k years, which contradicts your claim that the earth has been warming since the last ice age.
You do understand the difference between warming and settling at a higher temperature, don't you?

No it doesn't. If the earth HASN'T been warming since the end of the last ice age then we'd still be in one. Your taking my words too literally. Of course, it hasn't been warming ALL the time. There have been periods of cooling, too.

No it doesn't. If the earth HASN'T been warming since the end of the last ice age then we'd still be in one. Your taking my words too literally. Of course, it hasn't been warming ALL the time. There have been periods of cooling, too.
Maybe you ought to be more precise in picking your words, the point you're apparently trying to make is that it's now warmer than during the last ice age. Quelle surprise.
If you don't understand that the globe stopped warming up during that +10k year period of relative equilibrium, then you're beyond help.

Not followed this thread, but the simple plain fact is that there are PLENTY of periods in the Earth's history where it's been much, much warmer than this. That is not an opinion, it's simple fact. And last time I checked, polar bears still exist. i.e. they are not extinct.

The world is probably warming (actually global average temperatures did stop rising after about 1998 IIRC to just recently, so even that is not certain). But if it is, the extent to which this "calamity" is over-hyped is simply ridiculous. I cannot turn the BBC on without hearing some pillock who knows fuck all about it, blaming god knows what on "climate change". I missed the bus last week, due to climate change. My Mum left her purse in Sainsbury's due to climate change. It's ridiculous.

We have this thing called "weather" - you may have head of it. It's a funny old thing, but we get different temperatures and different amounts of snow and rain etc from one day to the next. One week to the next. One year to the next. Different weather.

Did you ever wonder why "Vine Street" is on the Monopoly board? Because we used to grow vines there and England was a big producer of wine in the warmer temperatures back then. By the time King Henry VIIIth ascended the throne there were 139 sizeable vineyards in England and Wales - 11 of them owned by the Crown, 67 by noble families and 52 by the church.

Ah yes, Tudor times, where they all drove massive cars, producing tonnes of CO2, they also over-packaged everything and dumped plastic galore into the seas, burnt fossil fuels like there was no tomorrow, chopped down every tree they could find...

Maybe you ought to be more precise in picking your words, the point you're apparently trying to make is that it's now warmer than during the last ice age. Quelle surprise.
If you don't understand that the globe stopped warming up during that +10k year period of relative equilibrium, then you're beyond help.

If you don't understand that the globe has warmed and cooled DURING the last 10,000 years your beyond help. Ever heard of the Medieval Warm Period?

If you don't understand that the globe has warmed and cooled DURING the last 10,000 years your beyond help. Ever heard of the Medieval Warm Period?
The Medieval Warm Period has hardly any statistical significance when you bring up the last Ice age, much like the little Ice age that ensued.
The last +10k years have been relatively stable in terms of temperature and that's pretty evident from the graphs but you seem incapable of reading them properly.
Do you know what a trend line is?
Anyway, go ahead and be argumentative for the sake of it, you started off by saying that the globe has been warming ever since the last ice age and you're now contradicting that by conceding that it cooled as well. Churn just a little bit more and you might realise that the statistical result was a relative equilibrium. At any rate, I have far better things to do than waiting for the penny to drop.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.