What a difference - City Fans 2014 v Pompey Fans 2019

Having come back from yet another defeat at Wembley, my 6th with Sunderland, I just wanted to say (which EVERY other Sunderland fan I have spoken to has mentioned), how fantastic the City fans were that day, (and I know a lot of our lot said it 5 years ago too) compared to the Pikey c*nts from Portsmouth on Sunday.

City fans were good crack, showed a lot of class when winning easy in the end by not taking the piss, and genuinely wishing us good luck for the season ahead. Every person I spoke to that weekend from City was spot on, and had all been through with City what we are going through now.

Compare that to the Portsmouth fans, who were allowed to but 6 tickets per season ticket holders meaning there were loads of day trippers there who have never been to a game, it was edgy before the game, with Pompey fans throwing cans at the Sunderland fans, and gobbing on them from the bridge at Wembley Way, and after the game, loads of coked up Pikeys wanting a confrontation, goading the Sunderland fans, singing Northern Monkey Wankers etc.

A fair few scuffles were reported, and overall a large minority of their fans were arseholes (I know we have a few too) who were equally happy you have a go in the faces of pensioners, families and young kids, as they were small groups / fellas on their own.

Anyhow, good luck for the rest of the season, and the vast majority of Sunderland fans will be rooting for you!
Always had respect for Sunderland fans when in the early 90s? at maine road last game of the season you went down (think you were already relegated?) when at the end of the game fans swapped scarfs and we wished you a speedy return , also I ended up on the piss in Manchester that night with a load of sunderland fans and had a great time...also who can forget THAT day when you did the Poznan and took the piss out of u***** fans...hope you make it back the prem is a poorer place without you

the thread has brought a rueful smile, remembering the way i booed Charlie Hurley as he kicked our lads all over the place, then cheered him in a cup replay at Huddersfield against the rags. What passed for a legal tackle in those days bordered on gbh, Dennis Law versus Big Charlie, blood and thunder. Len Shackleton put about 10,000 on the gate it seemed, though Sunderland always seemed to bring a shit-load anyway. The Poznan against the rags tops everything, and will never be exceeded...

Even though we were relegated, still my all time favourite away day.

I was 10 rows back, behind the goal....if Gabbiadinis header hadn't hit the net...it would have smashed me in the face....

I remember drinking with city fans before the game....no idea which pub....and hours after at Piccadilly before getting the train back to Sunderland, which where I lived at the time.
We never bought a drink all night, city fans insistent on stumping up, they felt sorry for us, and were in awe of the support....
Great atmosphere, great days, as the 2014 final was......the way it should be
Did you go to the Dale today; I believe you brought loads.?

Sunderland and West Ham mcfcs favourite other clubs.
Yeah both sets of fans have been absolutely sound with us over the years.

In days where football violence wasn’t a distant memory and in fact still went on, we got relegated at West Ham and Sunderland got relegated at our place yet both sets of home fans treated the away fans well and there was no trouble all day, in fact well wishers and good humour were the themes throughout the days.

My Father recalls West Ham fans lining the streets to applaud City fans back to the station and many saying “hope you get promoted again soon” and us being similar with Sunderland when the same happened to them. I went to Upton Park in the day of my birthday once and we were wandering around looking for a pub and the Hammers invited us into one of theirs and they roundly slagged off United the whole time we were there “United are our local rivals too, loads of the ****s round here”. And Sunderland were sound at Wembley in 2014, I went the night before and drank with their lads all night. Saw no trouble over two days in London with loads of Sunderland and City mixing.

I’m sure in the heyday of violence we have had some right rum run-ins with West Ham and Sunderland fans but but the overriding feeling I have towards both sets of fans is positive. Certainly the only two other clubs I like. Can’t be arsed with anyone else particularly and hate a number of clubs, but not these two.

Always had a lot of respect for Sunderland, top club and incredible away support. They did however upset me while as a seven year old listening to the 73 away replay at Roker. Still glad they beat Leeds in the final.
Ive watched that replay on utube ,cracking atmosphere at Roker.whatever happened to to those night matches where football grounds were a cauldron of noise? Our league cup defeat at Barnsley in the 80s is another example of incredible noise.i doubt there were many miners down the barnsley pits that evening..

the thread has brought a rueful smile, remembering the way i booed Charlie Hurley as he kicked our lads all over the place, then cheered him in a cup replay at Huddersfield against the rags. What passed for a legal tackle in those days bordered on gbh, Dennis Law versus Big Charlie, blood and thunder. Len Shackleton put about 10,000 on the gate it seemed, though Sunderland always seemed to bring a shit-load anyway. The Poznan against the rags tops everything, and will never be exceeded...
Len Shackleton. The Clown Prince...would have loved to have seen him play.

The Sunderland Leeds final was the first final I can recall watching as a kid, had them as my second team in my youth, by feck they have had it tough as we have with the only exception we had the rags winning leagues and cups over in Salford to contend with where as their closest neighbours only punch horses and take their tops off in the cold...

Did you go to the Dale today; I believe you brought loads.?

Yes mate, there were 4000 in the away end.
I've long given up trying to get tickets for the away end, I was in the Rochdale end.
Huge last minute winner, and other results went our way....
It's in our hands.

Wembley 2014 was just a wonderful weekend, great carnival atmosphere, and everyone clapping and patting each other on the back at the end...

Applauding you guys back onto Wembley way.....it's a cliche, but arguably thats how it should always be...sadly, in reality it isn't...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.