What are your roads like?

There's no such thing as "road tax". Vehicle Exise Duty is levied against emissions (which is why electric cars are free to tax) and isn't ring fenced for road maintenance. Road maintenance is paid for from general taxation.

As a cyclist I've got a bee in my bonnet about this from brain dead dickheads who think cars own the roads because they "pay tax".
Abolished in 1937.

If driving alone funded the roads (VED, Emissions tax, fuel duty, etc.) then driving related taxes would have to increase exponentially to cover the costs of road maintenance and road improvements. Driving IS a subsidised activity.

Also, a large proportion of our road infrastructure was designed and built around smaller, lighter vehicles, especially in our older towns and cities. The substrate isn't often sufficient to handle the size, weight and volume of traffic we have on our roads today, which is why road surfaces often break up and end up full of potholes.

Edit: There are often geological constraints as to why roads are built a certain way (bedrock, drainage, etc.) which wouldn't have been an issue 50 years ago, but now the road can't be rerouted or upgraded because some twat built a housing estate right next to it.

Last edited:
Actually saw some been filled in today, they basically sprayed it in patted it down a bit and moved on, I later drove over it, it’s not level will probably last a few weeks and be back to a hole, bodge it and fix it!

In Fleetwood the main roads which tourists use (yes we do have them) are pretty good compared to what I've seen in Manchester but the residential roads and pavements are a mess.

The Council filled a stretch in where it felt like driving over three cow grids in a 100 yard area nearby but just looking at the state of the job they did it's not going to last the year and has only scratched the surface.

I had our perspective candidate for the GE around a couple of months ago. Her answer was to take pictures and sent them in!!!!

Told her if I started now I'd be lucky to get to the polling station in time to vote.

She thought I was having a laugh with her!!!!

Herefordshire has lots of roads but low population density so there is limited council tax to fund repairs. Consequently the roads, other than major A roads, are shite.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.