What has happened to this forum

bluemonkey71 said:
Someone got out of bed on the wrong side

It's frustrating to wake up and have this be the first thing that you see on the forum, so I apologise if it came off badly.

I'm just annoyed when these people say "well, they OBVIOUSLY should do X, Y and Z", like we're idiots. Every single technical person I've spoken to, including the Chief Technology Officer of one of the world's biggest publishing houses, thinks that we're going the right way with this. We are limited by our size, and it's catch-22; there's a business jargon for it but basically, we don't have the budget to grow more (and we couldn't rely on that level of donation every single month - plus donations create even more self important people who demand everything RIGHT NOW) and the hardware level that we are on isn't enough to grow rapidly, we need to do it slowly. We can manage on it most of the time, certainly, but growth is tough and even if I say so myself, some of the workarounds that we are finding are pretty genius.

Remember when I went off on everybody for using AdBlock? Perhaps now you see why. The revenue lost by this has contributed towards this problem. Everybody is affected by those people using it, they take up a database connection but they don't give anything back revenue wise. That means that that connection is coming directly out of the site's pockets, and we have so many of these that we struggle. If nobody on this site used AdBlock, we'd have very little problems with growth. However, you always get the selfish bastards who will do, despite been repeatedly told this. I notice some of the people in this very thread who are complaining about speed have previously posted that they are blocking our ads. They are there for a reason, and you've just met it.

I for one didn't realise that Adblock was such an issue, so long story short you have shamed me into disabling it for BM.

Thanks for all your hard work Ric, Damocles and the rest of the BM team.

Damocles said:
bluemonkey71 said:
Someone got out of bed on the wrong side

It's frustrating to wake up and have this be the first thing that you see on the forum, so I apologise if it came off badly.

No worries. I know your pain working in IT. When everything works fine noone says good job. When something goes wrong there's a shitstorm. Its the nature of the beast unfortunately.

Absolutely defies belief that people have the nerve to complain about something that is a free service. Nothing winds me up more. Sorry to say, but you don't have a god-given right to Bluemoon and if it weren't for Ric and Damocles' hard work there wouldn't be a Bluemoon.

Constructive feedback, yes. Whinging and complaining and throwing toys out of the pram because the website has had the temerity to take a bit longer to load. Pathetic. Some people need to grow up and realise nothing in this world is free.

A thread like this pops up every time improvements are being made, or somethings being fixed. How ungrateful can you get really? Hang your heads in utter shame because you're embarrassing.

Ric, has obviously said in the past he wants the site to remain free. So it will remain free. He made this place, he knows what's best for it. I happen to agree. If it wasn't free it wouldn't take long for somebody to pop up with a free site that you'd all move onto no matter how annoying their server was.

Damocles said:
pretty genius.

Remember when I went off on everybody for using AdBlock?

I was under the impression based on past replies that it was a purely software issue as you and Ric have always refused donations. If upgraded hardware would fix the issue then add a donation button and see how much you get ,you could maybe even add a chipin button which tells people how much you need each month and how much you have raised so far.

A possible idea for extra ad revenue ,i am sure there are lots of local business owners who frequent the site,why not allow them at a fixed rate monthly fee to put their ads on here,you won't be relying on clicks as it will be a fixed price up front.

It didn't used to be the hardware, it used to be the software configuration. Then we fixed it, grew some more, and it became the hardware :)

So now its all our fault?

ffs Damo, that is low.

Plenty have offered donations on here, myself included.

You can piss and moan as much as you like but you have said your the man to fix it so either do just that or bow down and let Ric find someone who can as the problems just don't seem to ever go away despite your assurances that your on top of it.

You can be as precious as you like but as we grow as a club and the membership of this site grows, unless Ric gets these forums to a point they can handle a huge increase in traffic, Bluemoon will become unusable for many and will die a death.

We don't log on here to discuss all things City to be greeted by a general error screen, free or not and that isn't being ungrateful, its being truthful.

Please don't take offence as none is meant.

blueinsa said:
So now its all our fault?

ffs Damo, that is low.

Plenty have offered donations on here, myself included.

You can piss and moan as much as you like but you have said your the man to fix it so either do just that or bow down and let Ric find someone who can as the problems just don't seem to ever go away despite your assurances that your on top of it.

You can be as precious as you like but as we grow as a club and the membership of this site grows, unless Ric gets these forums to a point they can handle a huge increase in traffic, Bluemoon will become unusable for many and will die a death.

We don't log on here to discuss all things City to be greeted by a general error screen, free or not and that isn't being ungrateful, its being truthful.

Please don't take offence as none is meant.

You spawny eyed parrot faced wazzock. But don't take offence. None is meant.

Use another forum if you don't like it, or respect the request of the people who operate the one you use. That's my advice. There's no entitlement to Blue Moon.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.