What was it like following City away in Europe in the 60's and 70's

Wrong decade, but Cardiff City away in the old 2nd Division in the 80s was the closest I've probably been (actually, Geographically Southend United away is closer to main land Europe isn't it!).
Seriously, too young to have done such trips so it was the TV and radio for me in the late 70s.
Funnily enough, I don't remember seeing too many of our highlights on the box ,maybe on 'Sportsnight'? (though there was a lot less football on TV back then. ) However, I do remember the radio commentaries as Peter Jones or Bryon Butler (who were proper quality commentators) always sounded like they were commentating with a sock on the microphone at the away games.
There were very few if any highlights on TV in the 1960s and early 1970s.

Match of the Day was the highlights for one match (later two matches). Most football on TV was of International matches. I recall ITV covering an England match and managing to edit out the winning goal (for the opposition). Until reading the papers the next day I was not aware of the winning goal.

The editing was also a bit dubious. I recall a 1-0 away win over Stoke in the 1966-67 season where they managed to edit out a whole string of near misses and goalmouth incidents.

Most Club Chairmen appeared very sceptical about televised matches and really believed that people would not attend if they thought that there would be 30 minutes of highlights on TV. There was always secrecy about which match would be covered.

Bob Lord, Chairman of Burnley, banned TV cameras from their ground for five years. Lord thought is was a ‘Jewish plot’ to put football on TV.

Re the 69/70 CWC campaign I went to all the games home and away except for 2 Schalke away and the Final.

The away games involved flights, match tickets, coach transfers and overnight hotel after the game…. I can’t remember the company that did all this but it might have been Finglands as they were connected with City and were a travel company. I assume that I used to pay by cheque !!!

Bilbao was a fantastic trip - somehow we stayed at same hotel as City, spent quite some time in a bar pre-match then we all sobered up as we went 3-0 down. Some of the guys had flags and started to wave them as City fought back to 3-3 but the flags were put away when the Garda arrived with guns!!!! Post match we had to run the gauntlet getting back to the coaches.

Coimbra was exciting - it was snowing at Ringway but we finally took off then it was a long bus ride from Lisbon and they delayed the kick off until we arrived.

Not much happened at Lierse SK as I think we stayed in Brussels.

The best game was Schalke at home - what an atmosphere and what a result.

Apologies if any of the above is incorrect but it was a long time ago !!!!!

Come on City

Went to game at the Prater stadium with my father with the City social club run by Roy Clark. There's a photo taken just before we all took off somewhere.. In them days a lot younger a group of us had a P in the centre circle. Still got my father's and my programs. And a plaque with Wein on it..Great night...CTID.....

Re the 69/70 CWC campaign I went to all the games home and away except for 2 Schalke away and the Final.

The away games involved flights, match tickets, coach transfers and overnight hotel after the game…. I can’t remember the company that did all this but it might have been Finglands as they were connected with City and were a travel company. I assume that I used to pay by cheque !!!

Bilbao was a fantastic trip - somehow we stayed at same hotel as City, spent quite some time in a bar pre-match then we all sobered up as we went 3-0 down. Some of the guys had flags and started to wave them as City fought back to 3-3 but the flags were put away when the Garda arrived with guns!!!! Post match we had to run the gauntlet getting back to the coaches.

Coimbra was exciting - it was snowing at Ringway but we finally took off then it was a long bus ride from Lisbon and they delayed the kick off until we arrived.

Not much happened at Lierse SK as I think we stayed in Brussels.

The best game was Schalke at home - what an atmosphere and what a result.

Apologies if any of the above is incorrect but it was a long time ago !!!!!

Come on City
I seem to remember the trips were organised by Gaytours (yes, matron). We also flew to Porto for the Coimbra game. At the airport coming back, the team were waiting for their flight to London, so we had a good chat with them. Their plane was then diverted to Birmingham because the London airport was closed due to snow. Our pilot pointed out the team plane to us as it was approaching Birmingham.
When we got off the plane at Manchester, it started snowing! (The League Cup final was also a fun drive on the Friday/Saturday).

One of the away trips I went to was Standard Liege 78? We shared the ferry with Glasgow Rangers fans , no trouble at all with them. Some of our younger lads robbed all the pursers money so we were met by Belgian police on arrival. Jumped the trains and got caught and fined, slept in the city centre and I think we got fined again. On approaching the stadium a Liege fan pulled at my friend Eric’s scarf presumably to swap it and Eric misread the situation and laid him out with a head but. As I recall there were a lot of army lads there on leave, in our end and let’s just say they were up for it. The return trip was relatively quiet. Happy days.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.