When / why did you become a City fan?

My dad's a Geordie and mum is from Dorset. Both my older sister and brother were born in Workington before they moved to Moston, Manchester for dad's work. I was born in Moston on a road that was about half red, half blue. The reds were always the dickhead kids, weren't they? I just couldn't ever like them. They're unlikeable. Same for my older brother...he started going to Maine Road around 76 when i was 8 or 9. Around the time of the League Cup. I was so impressed with Dennis Tueart etc. United had celebrity cnuts. We had class. That's how it felt.
My brother started to take me to reserve games and then to the real thing. So from around 1976/77 onwards...
Had this pic, or similar, on my bedroom wall.

View attachment 103013
Saw my first City match in 73/74 season (dad came from a line of blues) so even though I saw them all play for us , a bit late to appreciate the Bell/Lee/Sumerbee years.
This team was probably the first one I probably really related to .Some players from that above era were still there, Doyle,Pardoe Donachie, Corrigan, Booth and Colin Bell(and the Gaffer obviously) Add in the likes of Tueart, Hartford,Barnes,Owen,Royle, Kidd (and an honourable mention to Paul Power )sometimes we forget what a good team that was. Not as good as our teams of the past decade or so(you would certainly put Kompany, Ya Ya, Sergio, Fern,KDB, Haaland both Silvas, Zabba etc on the teamsheet before most of the above )but I reckon more than a match for most other teams in the Premier League in that time.
Great kit too, of it's time it must be said....(those big fuck off collars!)

Saw my first City match in 73/74 season (dad came from a line of blues) so even though I saw them all play for us , a bit late to appreciate the Bell/Lee/Sumerbee years.
This team was probably the first one I probably really related to .Some players from that above era were still there, Doyle,Pardoe Donachie, Corrigan, Booth and Colin Bell(and the Gaffer obviously) Add in the likes of Tueart, Hartford,Barnes,Owen,Royle, Kidd (and an honourable mention to Paul Power )sometimes we forget what a good team that was. Not as good as our teams of the past decade or so(you would certainly put Kompany, Ya Ya, Sergio, Fern,KDB, Haaland both Silvas, Zabba etc on the teamsheet before most of the above )but I reckon more than a match for most other teams in the Premier League in that time.
Great kit too, of it's time it must be said....(those big fuck off collars!)
I never knew who the player on the top row, far right, was. I remember thinking it was the guy that sang this at the time...

An imposter!

Ever since I can remember.

My dad and my elder brother were Blues (My dad was one of the 84,000 odd v Stoke in 34) and as a small boy I was steeped in the doings of Frank Swift, Peter Doherty, Alex Herd, Eric Brook, Sam Cowan et al, even before I ever went to a match.

When I was finally old enough to go to Maine Road I was already a dyed-in-the-wool City fan. And it was our local club - we could walk to Moss Side from where we lived in Falloefield.

The atmosphere at Maine Road was great. I thoiught the grouind was the last word in hi-tech stadium design, even though we stood on the kippax (open to the elements in those days) and cheerfully got drenched on a wet day.

I shall remain a Blue to my dying day.

I had no influences as my dad wasn't into football, my folks have been described as bohemian hippy jazz types. My dad being a jazz drummer who'd have fitted in hair-wise with zz top.

i chose city best i can figure around 1969/70

i didn't really know what i was doing but a friend at that time was a city fan and of course city won the league the year after united so that may have helped.

Dad (RIP 1986) was a Rag!
Dont think he was too happy with me wanting to be a City fan? but I'm sure he would be happy with how things have gone for both teams??
My first game was 13/10/1975 still dont know why City and NOT the Sh*t? but I now know I made the right choice, there were times in the 80's when I doubted that though!!
ST holder since 1977, both Daughter and Son are both blues (might be something to do with me!!?? ;-)), my Son has a ST, I keep telling him that "he doesnt know how lucky he is" to watch this team, as all he has ever seen is SUCCESS!!!!!

Last edited:
My dad's a Geordie and mum is from Dorset. Both my older sister and brother were born in Workington before they moved to Moston, Manchester for dad's work. I was born in Moston on a road that was about half red, half blue. The reds were always the dickhead kids, weren't they? I just couldn't ever like them. They're unlikeable. Same for my older brother...he started going to Maine Road around 76 when i was 8 or 9. Around the time of the League Cup. I was so impressed with Dennis Tueart etc. United had celebrity cnuts. We had class. That's how it felt.
My brother started to take me to reserve games and then to the real thing. So from around 1976/77 onwards...
Had this pic, or similar, on my bedroom wall.

View attachment 103013
The exact City centre spread that I sent to Tommy Booth all of those years ago, to get the squad to sign.

City.jpg

First team I finished when collecting footy cards in 90/91. Then when I got old enough to have a serious interest in footy we had Kinky :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.