When will the youngsters get a go?

We have too many excellent established international players not getting a game apart from in these early rounds of the cup. That and the limited few youth players that look like they could potentially be good enough are currently injured/not fit enough. Some people have still yet to realise it's harder to produce players now simply because of the standard our first team is now at. Even when our new academy is fully up and running it's unrealistic to expect us to produce numerous world class players. if we're lucky enough we'll get one first team standard player with a few prem standard players every couple of years.

We have one youngster playing regularly now but he didn't play for the EDS, Nastasic. Younger then Boyata and shows the standard required to get in the senior squad.

I'm sure the likes of Pozo, etc will get their chance when it's deserved. A lot of the EDS are under 19 and actually playing against other teams who are a bit older. In fact most of our academy lads are also playing in the under 18's at 16. Their time will come when they are ready but it is fair to say that it is now harder to break through than it was when the likes of Barton, Wright-Phillips, Ireland got into our senior squad.

As fans we always want to see a "homegrown" player become a star in the team, but we need patience with these kids, and they may only get 1-2 games from the bench at most in a season nowadays.

Unless we produce a Messi, I can't see anyone coming through for while.

Even if you just look at the probability based on pure maths, the chance anyone will emerge from our Academy to play in our 1st is totally remote.

If we consider ourselves in the Top 10 club sides in Europe, and consider across those 10 teams are 10 squads of 25 players with ages ranging from 18-35ish equates to less than 15 players developing per year from the whole of the world that will eventually play in those top 10 teams!

Even those that do arrive at City will invariably have been blooded elsewhere!

That's not to say the Academy is wasted as lots of players will be developed and sold on to lower league teams such as Trippier etc, so it will self fund itself, however I cannot ever see day when 80 acres of reclaimed industrial waste replaces the need for hard cash and a transfer window.

Not pessimistic, just realistic.

LoveCity said:
I've said for a while, to encourage playing youths they could give clubs the option of adding 2 club-trained U21s on top of the 7 subs named, or just do what Italy did and bring in a 12-man subs bench... most clubs don't have 12 international senior names so would be able to put kids on the bench. ie. Boyata and Lopes would probably be on a 12-man subs bench every week (fitness permitting) and in scenarios like yesterday's might get chances.

This was I believe the initial thinking behind increasing the number of substitutes from five to seven.

The reality is that the bigger clubs just stockpile players and the kids don't seem to get many chances.

Manchester1894 said:
Komps Nasty Demicheles Rekik for next seasons 4 CB's then?

Looks like we're after a new high profile CB, Rob Newman (scout) has been in Portugal watching Porto... Otamendi and Mangala, looks like it could be Otamendi as Porto want a king's ransom (not far off £40m) for Mangala.

johnnytapia said:
blue b4 the moon said:
johnnytapia said:
Yeah, great idea. Let's not pile on the goals with proven internationals, let's not annihilate teams, let's not put the fear of Christ into teams, let's not bring on the likes of Silva v Newcastle, Edin and Milner v Norwich. No, let's bring on....Greg Leigh.

All this talk of letting the "youngsters" have a go - the ONLY time they should be allowed a "go" is when they're good enough to take a place on the bench. And whilst we have the resources to pretty much buy from the very top of the table every time, it ain't gonna happen unless the "youngster" is very special.

We should go out to destroy teams. Every time. All the time. There's no room for sentimental "better with 11 lads from Moss Side/Ancoats" bollocks. I spent too long watching 11 lads from the localities. And we won sweet fanny adams.

If most games are over by early second half, there's a good reason for that. And it ain't Greg Leigh.

I stand by my post.

We make late subs on many occasions for the purpose of resting starters pure and simple these changes could be put to better use.

If you think we play at 100% all game then you must have been one of the thousands who went before the end yesterday.

What an utterly fantastic interpretation you've made of my post. And utterly irrelevant. Where did I ever say we play at 100% all game? We make late subs to rest the main men and in doing so we bring on players who are light years ahead of the likes of Greg Leigh. And that's why we've consistently demolished teams in the last fifteen/twenty mins over last couple of seasons - teams tire, we can bring on top-notch subs and bingo! 4,5,6 7 nil.

"Could be put to better use" - better than what? Racking up shedloads of goals? Running teams ragged? Making observers sit up and think "This lot have so much strength in depth"?

This isn't a school team where everyone might get a run. It's City. The youngsters can do their stuff in the EDS. If they're good enough to replace Milner, Edin, Jack, Kolarov, Lescott etc, etc, then great. If not, then the EDS is their limit and there's ZERO room for sentiment and ZERO room for "let's see how they get on for twenty mins".

As for leaving early - another brilliant bit of misinterpretation - congrats. I admire your consistncy in being able to read things that haven't been written. I was sat there 'til the end. As always. Stand by your post - fair play, you genuinely believe in what you've said. I'll stand by Pellegrini.

This. If they aren't good enough they don't play. I've only seen lopes and boyata who are good enough at this stage anyway.

Let's make sure all of our first-team players get a go before we start throwing youngsters into the mix.

Blue Maverick said:
Guidetti, Lopes etc even in the Capital One cup they aren't getting a sniff, at some point we are going to have to start blooding these guys, that's why we have an academy, I have a feeling Dzeko will be off if not in Jan then at end of season so surely our 4th striker should be a youngster.

Lopes was injured and Guidetti has only just got back into EDS games. Simple as really.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.