Who else is Wembleyed out?

To be fair to them I think you have to contextualise it. Those games were needed to make the stadium financially viable, so it’s a choice of Wembley semi-finals or no Wembley.

Not playing 2 FA Cup semi-finals doesn’t make Wembley financially unviable. Or didn’t mean it wouldn’t get built.

Wembley was paid off this year. The FA no longer owe money for Wembley. That was always going to be the case regardless of when the FA paid the Wembley debt off.

The argument could now be made that semi-finals, especially for Northern clubs, no longer have to played at Wembley.

The FA would still make a semi-final profit if the semi-finals were played at another stadium in the North of England or at Villa Park.

Last edited:
Not playing 2 FA Cup semi-finals doesn’t make Wembley financially unviable.

Wembley was paid off this year. The FA no longer owe money for Wembley. That was always going to be the case regardless of when the FA paid the Wembley debt off.

The argument could now be made that semi-finals, especially for Northern clubs, no longer have to played at Wembley.

The FA would still make a semi-final profit if the semi-finals were played at another stadium in the North of England or at Villa park.

Not that long ago FA were trying to sell Wembley because they don’t know how they’re going to able to pay for the £100m+ repair, maintainance and redevelopment bill that’s coming up as the stadium hits 20 years old.

They aren’t about to give up ~£7m a year from 2 of the 15 matches they host a year.

Not that long ago FA were trying to sell Wembley because they don’t know how they’re going to able to pay for the £100m+ repair, maintainance and redevelopment bill that’s coming up as the stadium hits 20 years old.

They aren’t about to give up ~£7m a year from 2 of the 15 matches they host a year.

You’re going back to 2018. The FA decided not to sell Wembley. I don’t know where you’re sourcing your figures from. We’re talking about 2 FA Cup semi-final matches, not other matches or events held at Wembley.

Sorted my Club Wembley tickets out today. Will be going to my usual pre-Wembley Italian In Westminster before the game. The semi is always a big day out for me if we get there, and give or take, marks the meaningful beginning of my favourite season, the spring.

I realise how lucky I am, on so many levels, to be able to do this, year in, year out.

I look at the rags I know, and how much they miss the joy of all this dominance, and with the certain knowledge that these things are fleeting genuinely wonder how anyone could possibly bore of it.

Those that have will almost certainly miss it when it all ends - which it surely will one day.
#humblebrag

Getting to Wembley is not a pain, there are dozens of ways to do it.

People go on as if it's an away match in Siberia, it's 170 miles away ffs
Trains are expensive and also they've been on strike at times. If you stay over, hotels are expensive. Food and beer are expensive too down there.

Driving to London from Manchester is generally a 4+ hour drive and parking is expensive. It's a looong drive back too.

It's not the distance, it's the overall time/cost of it and then you have to do it again a couple of months later if we get to the final.

I'm all up for playing finals at Wembley, but if we're playing teams like Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea etc then we should be looking at Old Trafford, Villa Park etc instead of Wembley. If nothing else, it's lost it's mystique.

You’re going back to 2018. The FA decided not to sell Wembley. I don’t know where you’re sourcing your figures from. We’re talking about 2 FA Cup semi-final matches, not other matches or events held at Wembley.

Which number do you have an issue with?

I’m going off memory that Spurs were a pulling in 3m per game at Wembley in 2017/18, but it’s easy enough to look up.

Which number do you have an issue with?

I’m going off memory that Spurs were a pulling in 3m per game at Wembley in 2017/18, but it’s easy enough to look up.

It’s about holding 2 semi-finals at Wembley, not what Spurs made at Wembley whilst they used it. Different prices and price structures.

I don’t know what the FA make per semi-final. I won’t guess the figure. If I find that figure or a ball park figure on Google, then I’ll post it.

Don’t forget to minus any figure off the money the FA would make from a semi-final/s held at other grounds like Old Trafford or Villa Park.

Sadly the FA won’t hold semi-finals at other grounds. Fans from the North will continue traipsing to Wembley for FA Cup semi-finals because the FA want it that way.

FA dinosaurs in grey suits running the game and not giving a fuck about the fans. Including the cost of tickets, ticket distribution, 22,000 tickets going to who?, kick off times for TV, and the days the games are played on.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.